Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a MEMCAL

Fuel Injected!
    Wonder if trying to copy bin and having the wrong chip type selected could cause this? I know after it didn't copy with it in backwards I realized the wrong chip was selected in TPro. I am not so careful when it comes to static discharge while handling chips. So could be more to it than I originally thought.

Yea I have read chips and memcals both inserted backwards and with the wrong offsets selected. All I got was either a chip read error, or a bin file that was all kinds of screwed up when I tried to view it in TP. Every time, once I fixed the error of my ways, I was still able to read the chip fine. I'm with mark, I think something else happened.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

You sure it's even bad?

Or did the offsets in AutoProm, Moates Prom IO were off and didn't read? They are known to be off. Does the memcal just not work in vehicle? Did a pin bend in PCM? I'm really curious! WHy? Because it has taken a long time for me to perfect all the wrong things to do and I haven't done this one!

The only thing I can imagine is static and only reason that could happen is because you had to have a header in memcal to get static to chip?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks to all that are trying to dig me out here. The dealer that Robert found that showed the new memcal doesn't have the part. They also list discontinued parts.
    Anyone have experience using a manual bin for automatic. There is a flag for that but nothing seams to work as expected.
    Truck starts in limp and scan tool won't recognize ecm. If i put in moats adapter and run my chip everything works fine in the shop.

Running an maual bin in an auto usually works fine, but not the other way around do to IAC logic for shifting.

But what trans? Not sure if TCC will work, some of the code crosses over from TCC lockup stuff to shift light in some masks so it works. Others have high gear switch polarity which may need to be changed?

So you can't even read the bin from Memcal now? Remember offsets do not work auto properly through TunerPro and Moates IO. Try Flash and burn stand alone? I think Six Shooter said it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    It has the 4L60 700 r4. They also used the 180 c for 91. The AUXM in the bin library here is L38 auto but I don't know what type auto trans.
    I think the memcal might might have been erased by forgetting to remove it from the Auto Prom and install the 512 chip before a reflash.

I'd try them both, auto would probably be better. But this is a mask that you probably know more of then anyone.

I've never tried to erase a eprom, they have to be UV light erasaed. Did you get the bin? If so UV erase and give it a shot... well you would need a differant burner for that.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I didn't get the BIN. So you don't think the TPro should erase that. Then it must have been static. I did have it setting with the reader adapter in it.

I'm a car guy that learned to use computers for cars.

That question is for a computer person. I have no idea what would happen to a UV erase chip if it were in a programmer and you tried to erase?

-= =-

Super Moderator
    i've tried it before.... nothing happened as far as i know. i stuck a factory MEMCAL into the HDR1, put it in the BURN2, read off the BIN, tried erasing it as a 27SF512, read it back, i THINK the BIN was identical....

but if it were put in backwards and attempted to erase, that's a different scenario... certain pins will not tolerate certain scenarios and you'll burn out the little links that you can see in the quartz window with the sticker removed.

i just mention static since it's that time of year. you don't have to see or even feel the arc for it to be enough to damage a PROM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E