Thread: $DA3 factory image and hypertech image

$DA3 factory image and hypertech image

The engine/computer that I pulled out of a junkyard camaro happened to have a Hypertech chip and adapter in it labeled part number 123322. Attached are the both of these bins in case you would like to compare hypertech's params to yours...

delco_BDZL_9600.bin => one is a stock 93 LT1 camaro
    hypertech_pn123322.bin => This is an image of the eeprom I found in my ECM. It's an Amtel device. It came with a crazy adapter that by passes the factory prom but uses the knock sensor.
    P1030802.jpg ==> img of factory prom/knock sensor, homemade adapter in background (2row, 100mil spaced long pin header)
    P1030804.jpg ==> img showing factory prom/knocksensor mated to the homemade adapter
    P1030805.jpg ==> img of hypertech adapter and hypertech prom

############## md5sums for the two .bins ##############

0dedcaccd09583e4b9bcb93adac18ae2 hypertech_pn123322.bin
    5a71790eff60bf9c046d83bc5c13ad14 delco_BDZL_9600.bin

#############################################
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bentrod; 01-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Super Moderator
    that's actually a normal hypertech adapter.... i know people who collect those when they can so that they don't have to pay Moates for a G1 adapter.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Thanks for adding the bins, I'll get them in the upload folder.

If you haven't found the Moates site yet they do have a G1 adapter like the Hypertech and a header for reading stock memcal chips. Kudos on making a header though!

The hypertech adapter is a real pain to get in and out of the PCM compared to the Moates G1, something is just to big?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I got a 7427 from the junkyard out of a 94 TBI V6 S10 truck one time, came home and found one of those in it. I read the chip and saved it. I also bought a used TPI intake, hacked harness, and 7730 off craigslist and it had jet stage 2 chip in it. I read that chip and saved it too.
    Like mark pointed out, both of those adapter just didnt work all that great. Not as good as the moates one anyways. So I ended up selling both of them on ebay. I have those bin files if anyone wants them.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I'd like to have a section of so called performance chips so people could see how little they get for the money. Not sure if we'd get sued for exposing a scam?

They are bought and owned so why couldn't you give away the code? Heck GM has never complained...

-= =-

Ah gotcha. I'm new to the scene and thought it was a crazy way to do this, but I guess that's what all of these do.

I didn't really think this adapter was that bad? It fits and works right?
    Last edited by bentrod; 01-17-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Super Moderator
    i don't see anything illegal about it...

i'm actually somewhat in the process of designing an adapter for the 93-95 northstar applications.... those use 2 PROMs in one MEMCAL with a knock filter, no NETRES or CALPAK stuff on it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by bentrod View Post
    Ah gotcha. I'm new to the scene and thought it was a crazy way to do this, but i guess that's what all of these do.

I didn't really think this adapter was that bad? It fits and works right? I was thinking of copying it and releasing the gerbers/drls on here so people could make their own. That or making a small run of them to sell at or slightly above cost (these things SHOULD NOT cost $35; it's a 2 layer board, 2x40something headers and a dip28 socket) I've seen stuff with ARM processors and HDMI for less...
    There's lots of things you could do or build. The Moates G2 is not that much and we like to keep Moates in some cash flow for all they have done and are still doing for us.

-= =-

RobertISaar: I agree. After almost 20 years, I dont think Hypertech really cares and if they do, shame on them for still charging that much for a handful of changed values.

EagleMark: I've just learned moats is a small outfit, which I also completely support. I've edited my previous post and refrain from creating such an adapter.

Opinions are always welcome as are ideas. No harm done, no need to edit, if we needed one then it would be a great project! But I don't think any cost offset you could do would be worth the effort to compete. There are articles here on how to install a EEPROM chip in Memcal so adapter is not needed as well. But to me it's not worth the savings of a $35 adapter which is fool proof.

Moates does quite well and is the forefront of DIY needed tuning stuff for many makes! Their tech support is excellent and product development is always under way. Best thing we can do for ourselves is support them! Then quality? I've seen guys buy chips from eBay to save $1 a chip.... then all the chips were bad/counterfeit.

Hypertech and Jet chips are probably the worst of off the shelf chips. At the time they were offering them they were still street/emmissions legal? IIRC...

-= =-