Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chips in a OBDII PCM?

Administrator
    I could probably use published dimensions and some good images from Ebay to work out the values. Is there any reason the believe the pin spacing isn't the same as the IC?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I could probably use published dimensions and some good images from Ebay to work out the values. Is there any reason the believe the pin spacing isn't the same as the IC?
    I've been looking for low a cost option for a PSOP 44 to DIP adapter. Here's one available on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PSOP44-P...item3f20de967e I'll order a PSOP 44 to DIP adapter soon, and I will be able to get the measurements I need. The challenge is getting a 44 pin header that matches the PSOP 44 surface mount on the LS 0411 circuit board.

dave w

Here's a few old pics (2007) life testing some motors. Things I do at work.

dave w

Count me out on venturing into PCM chip flashing in the foreseeable future. I don't have access to a chip programmer for the AV28F400B chip. My plan was to desolder / read / re-flash / solder / test / a AV28F400B chip before going further. My project budget is not very large at the moment. I might revisit this project in future, just depends on how affordable I can get a 44 pin chip programmer capable of flashing the AV28F400B chip for.

dave w

Have to look but Gq-4X does everything for $100, may need the adaper on top of zif socket.

I use mine to much for 2732a chips or I'd send it to visit you...

HTH!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    External Zif socket...
    Bad idea. I have PSOP44 and TSOP44 ZIF adapters for fiddling with GM and VAG/euro, among others. You have to clean the lifted chip's leads carefully before it will make good, even contact on all pins in the ZIF socket, and even then you have to "snap" the ZIF a few times to get a good connection to read/write. Same applies to fresh flash chips, although not quite as bad as solder-laden pulled chips. Trying to use one in a running, vibrating vehicle? Large pin count SOP ZIF are bench-only gear. You could use a PLCC adapter on EEC-V, though, easiest way to change VINs on them (that I am aware of).

I have a Willem 3 series, does a fine job for ~$40 less than the 4 series, IIRC.

And, no disrespect to real time emulation advocates, but it can lead to slower learning and poorer tuning. With flash based tuning - either pulling chips, or via OBD - you must datalog, think, calculate, and flash. Real time tuners tend to button-fuck things until a symptom goes away, and keep poor track of their changes. Going from tuning a vehicle market dominated by real time emulation of OE ECUs and standalones to the flash based stuff took me a minute to get a good grasp of, but I'm a better tuner for it and in a lot of cases the flash based cars are quicker and easier to tune despite having years less experience with them - go figure.

Electronic Ignition!
    the flash PROM is a fairly common Intel unit(AB28F400B). supposedly, at some point in time AMD units were used and they are 1MB instead of 512KB(AT28F800B)
    I think we must have wildly differing definitions of "fairly common." The real problem in my mind is still getting a replacement chip. Show me a 'add to cart' page from a reputable company (newark/digikey). I've yet to find suitable chips for sale, and I refuse to pull the factory chip off a 0411 PCB without a replacement in hand.

Flashing through the OBD-II serial pin or even BDM header is where it's at for us, though I have not yet been able to find the requisite technical information to make it happen. The OBD process is simple: upload program code into RAM (to download the updated calibration data), but I'd much prefer to start from a jumping off point if work has already been attempted (by who??). Durahax claimed he was able to use BDM to pull a .bin from a 0411, but he never posted the details. Not sure if he succeeded with his diesel PCM yet. Also not sure if he was able to write to the flash chip using BDM (would explain why he hasn't posted a detailed success story). He's close to me, I intend to contact him... (I drove through philly yesterday, HEH).

If any of you boys are holding technical infoz, I'd invest some time to make DIY 0411 a reality with beer-ware. I have a 4.8 in the barn with THREE 0411's, and my L31-tbi has a warped head leaking into the cylinders... =(. I will probably end up pulling another L31 soon ($200 + intake gaskets), but only because I'm lacking requisite technical information to h4x0r my 0411's.

I've seen claims that AVT hardware has been used to read+flash a GM PCM, but I REALLY want to see some source code or technical info that would enable me to write the code for 0411 before I blindly buy their hardware (I figure cheaper hardware is looming). AVT-852 is not cost prohibitive, but I'd like to know how to make it work before buying. (i'm an unemployed uberhaxor, actual coding will be the easy part given sufficient reference materials).

Fawq the $500+ roadrunner and highway robbery licensing, DIY 0411 solution is more important to me than utilizing my $300 4.8.
    89 suburban, D60/aam10.5, eccc-4l80e/L31-tbi/$0d

AVT-852 has been reading and writing OBDII PCM since 2005 with TunerCat OBDII, it's all in the software...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by helo View Post
    highway robbery licensing
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the vin licenceing on the current tuning programs is highway robbery.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Super Moderator
    interesting.... the 28F400 used to be a common piece.... guess it's been out of production for a while. there may be a compatible replacement, but i haven't looked into it. a quick look on futurlec shows the 29F400 as being cheap and available... just need to see what all differences there are and if they're important.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Tunercat/CATS would be perfect, and I would totally go down that road... if it were 1/10th the current price without silly licensing.

The chips futurelec has are 48 pin tsop 90ns (wrong packaging and "slow"), unless I'm just not finding the page you came up with. I contacted a US supplier that may have surplus 50ns SO-44 chips that happen to be milspec.

Google shopping returns a couple of Chinese vendors that will sell small quantities of SOP-44 70ns chips. The OE 512k/4mbit intel chips were 55ns, but 70ns for the 8mbit version. I may order a few, they take paypal.

Administrator
    As mentioned, TC uses AVT hardware. AVT Software can be used with TC cable to get version information, cable speed, and to "talk" to pcm. My TC cable is old.., no CAN bus. But it will work with 0411. I remember discussions from years ago, ELM was too slow or maybe not able to do "block transfer." The guys making it happen said "won't happen." That was many moons ago so who knows... Steve Ravet used BDM successfully. No surprise. He was a MotoSemi guy, then moved to ARM. diy-efi pages have tech junkie type notes on doing this. LT1 Edit cable was 68HC908GP32, 68HC58, Max232, and a handful of discretes. IIRC one of those chips needs programming so it takes someone with more skills than I to work out that program (or maybe someone can get the cable?) I have a very strong hunch that cable is similar to what was used by GM once upon a time. Company called Dearborn Group sells many GM OBDII cables. VSI-C2 is J1850 compatible and is probably much closer to commercial development product used by GM engineering. Just today I saw a VSI-C2 for sale for $200, and found a series of auctions running through mid January from a guy trying to sell a cable for $100. Also, you might find an inexpensive USB-OBDII interface cable from a J2354 pass through programmer. Then you'd need drivers and software to communicate but at least you'd have a starting point.

Edit: Just realized that Multiplex Engineering has some interesting cables as well.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 02-04-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by helo View Post
    I've seen claims that AVT hardware has been used to read+flash a GM PCM, but I REALLY want to see some source code or technical info that would enable me to write the code for 0411 before I blindly buy their hardware (I figure cheaper hardware is looming). AVT-852 is not cost prohibitive, but I'd like to know how to make it work before buying. (i'm an unemployed uberhaxor, actual coding will be the easy part given sufficient reference materials).
    If you can really write the software to read/write I can give you what needs to be done?

-= =-

Administrator
    Looking for more information on Caligula, Medusa, Midas, Perseus. Believed to be GM names for PCM / VCM architectures.

Caligula was a Roman Emporer.

Medusa is a greek metholgy creature, if you look at her you turn to stone.

Midas does mufflers and brakes! But I think they got the name from greek guy who turned stuff to gold?

Perseus was also something in greek metholigy?

Someone at GM was into history and came up with code names?

-= =-