Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chips in a OBDII PCM?

Administrator
    I wouldn't get hung up on putting the ZIF on the board. The Moates header linked above looks like the proper pin spacing to use as a memcal plug. Remove the eprom and any other chips / hardware from the memcal and you've got a good socket to use for an adapter board. There's a guy selling adapter boards with the ZIF on Ebay for $20 with shipping but I'd bet you could find a solder type for less than $10 and permanently install the flash chip on the adapter. It'd be nice to find a DIP package flash that's compatible but it looks like the speed of those devices could be a problem.

The socket you see on most of the adapter boards is a "Test socket" and you can see it here:
    http://www.enplas-ets.com/pdf2/sop_opentop_th.pdf
    The number is OTS-44-1.27-03. Sockets aren't cheap though. Ebay vendors tend to be above $25 per socket.
    Anyone want to share the cost? This brings them down to $9 each:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466

Happy hunting.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 01-14-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Super Moderator
    eh, i can see if this takes off where 15 probably won't be enough. :D
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

The RoadRunner Header is wrong spacing for Memcal.

Not sure what that origanal RR picture has a ribbon cable? Header plugs directly into RoadRunner Emulater board.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    That wouldn't be a bad thing.

The real goal would be a header that could attach to ribbon for external mounted chip, then when done tining remove ribbon and mount chip w/adapter on header inside PCM.

-= =-

Administrator
    If I were tuning for customers I'd probably have a single pcm with the ribbon cable or roadrunner and use the memcal or internal socket in the customer pcm.

Super Moderator
    probably not a bad idea....

i don't suppose VIN/security issues would come up?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I wouldn't get hung up on putting the ZIF on the board. The Moates header linked above looks like the proper pin spacing to use as a memcal plug. Remove the eprom and any other chips / hardware from the memcal and you've got a good socket to use for an adapter board. There's a guy selling adapter boards with the ZIF on Ebay for $20 with shipping but I'd bet you could find a solder type for less than $10 and permanently install the flash chip on the adapter. It'd be nice to find a DIP package flash that's compatible but it looks like the speed of those devices could be a problem.

The socket you see on most of the adapter boards is a "Test socket" and you can see it here:
    http://www.enplas-ets.com/pdf2/sop_opentop_th.pdf
    The number is OTS-44-1.27-03. Sockets aren't cheap though. Ebay vendors tend to be above $25 per socket.
    Anyone want to share the cost? This brings them down to $9 each:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466

Happy hunting.
    I'm thinking of making an adapter board. I've done several PCA's for my employer over the last few years. I have experience with Gerber Files. I'll post up some pics of the "obsolete" boards I've done, so I don't to get into trouble! I'm thinking I can make a board that will hold the ZIF socket, then have a dip header soldered onto the LS 0411 board so the adapter board can be soldered to the header. It might make be worth looking at using a PLCC 44 chip to keep costs down and parts availability up? Anything is possible with Gerber Files!

dave w

Administrator
    Security might be an issue on later vehicles. I tend to think of the earlier trucks but really everything should be considered. If VIN and other relevant info is stored in the flash then a read / copy operation might take care of it. Unfortunately this gets beyond my experience level. If we get this working though I'm going to have to start gathering bunches of new training material.

Dave, the PLCC chips I looked at could be too slow. If I read the data sheets correctly, the Intel chips had access speeds of approximately 60-80ns while the older technology chips were in the 120ns range. If the processor cannot get data or fetch code quickly enough you run into problems and a crash could result. But I only had a couple of minutes during lunch so I probably missed more than I found in terms of chips. The socketed board with header would be cool for development and tuning but long range, for a customer, is there anything wrong with soldering the flash to the board other than the difficulty of soldering? Is the cost difference worth the work? And please don't get into trouble posting work related files. If nothing else, remove pertinent details or post files with errors. Your work will show through without fear of the design being put into use.

VIN is in the flash. If the same bin file is used there would be no VATS secuity issues. Just don't turn key on with no chip in. Not sure how other modules on the line would like if power was turned on without a chip. You can reflash the calibration 96k portion of the bin in the vehicle. But if you do a full flash 512k which includes the operating system the other modules FREAK when they loose contact with mother ship. So full flash needs to be done on bench. Rule of thumb is safe. Fuell flash in vehicle could cause brick.

So we have a header, Dave W makes a board with chip socket to plug into header, chip socket needs a ribbon for outside chip socket, take that off and put chip inside... Done!

-= =-

The .pdf file is for a PSOP44 ZIF socket. I'm wondering, is there 16mm of clearance between the PCM cover and circuit board? The attached .pdf is for an Open Top, Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) maybe like the one in this link (previously posted)? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466 I can only see a top view in the link. To plan a circuit board, I need either the actual part or a product .pdf showing the pin out measurements.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    The ebay auction is for Enplas sockets. The spec sheet here has dimensions including pin pitch. Is that sufficient? http://www.enplas-ets.com/pdf2/sop_opentop_th.pdf I have a pcm at home which I believe uses the same case as an 0411. If I have time I can get some measurements tonight.

The RoadRunner Header is wrong spacing for Memcal.
    Thanks for posting that picture. That means the 44 conductor IDE cables may not work.

Here's what a board for flash chip would look like attached to the header.

DUAL-FLASH-TOP[1].jpg

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    The ebay auction is for Enplas sockets. The spec sheet here has dimensions including pin pitch. Is that sufficient? http://www.enplas-ets.com/pdf2/sop_opentop_th.pdf I have a pcm at home which I believe uses the same case as an 0411. If I have time I can get some measurements tonight.
    The pin pitch listed is for the IC being held in the ZIF.

I agree also, it appears the RoadRunner Header is the wrong spacing for the flash chip. It's becoming more and more challenging to make the flash chip in the LS 0411 swappable.

I'm thinking RoberISaar's idea to "it's kind of ghetto, but assuming no PSOP44 ZIF sockets could be found, most PSOP44 to DIP adapters could have the PSOP socket desoldered from them and use that."

Might be what needs to happen. Still need to find a header that fits the flash chip spacing.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 01-16-2013 at 05:54 PM.

There's some info on the chips and data sheets here:
    http://www.omnituner.com/default.asp...5&g=posts&t=53

In reading around there it seems the next OBDII flasher was in the works, but things got quite...

-= =-