Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Chips in a OBDII PCM?

Thanks for the in depth info 1project2many. This puts it all into perspective!

The idea of doing that and using the AutoProm or other emulator is intriging...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    not that i've opened one to find out, but i THINK the largest BIN the autoPROM will deal with is 64KB.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Well I just tried to Upload a 512k bin to AutoProm and it says I messed up?

-= =-

Need bigger chip?
    Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

Super Moderator
    that's a 128KB NVRAM module.... explains why a 512KB BIN would be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    You got it, get around cost or avalaibility of re-flash through OBDII port.
    Still not knowing anything about OBD2 or flash chips. What makes it so bad to flash through the OBD port, that we are looking at removing the chip to flash it? Seems like your removing the need for buying a cable and software to flash the pcm, and instead making it to where you now have to buy a chip burner, cable and software.
    I know there is more than one way to skin a cat, but I guess I am just not understanding whats going on.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I'd like some feedback on what could be a practical path forward for swapping the flash chip inside the LS 0411 PCM. I know Mark is interested in having the flash chip outside the LS 0411 PCM, but I interested in having a ZIF socket mounted inside the PCM for the flash chip.

I don't have much information about the internal electronics of the LS 0411 so I'm going to ask for some help here.

Is the LS 0411 flash chip available from electronics suppliers like DigiKey or Mouser Electronics? I'm thinking DigiKey and Mouser have the ZIF sockets available.

I'm thinking the binary file from the LS 0411 flash chip could be read and edited with software (TunerCats) used by the RoadRunner?

The idea I'm getting at is modify the LS 0411 PCM with a ZIF socket for the flash chip. Then read and rewrite the flash chip and install into the ZIF socket.

I see many practical applications for a LS 0411 PCM that has a ZIF for the flash chip.

dave w

Super Moderator
    the flash PROM is a fairly common Intel unit(AB28F400B). supposedly, at some point in time AMD units were used and they are 1MB instead of 512KB(AT28F800B)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Still not knowing anything about OBD2 or flash chips. What makes it so bad to flash through the OBD port, that we are looking at removing the chip to flash it? Seems like your removing the need for buying a cable and software to flash the pcm, and instead making it to where you now have to buy a chip burner, cable and software.
    I know there is more than one way to skin a cat, but I guess I am just not understanding whats going on.
    I've seen several LS engine swaps with completely stock engines in Off-Road applications. Many of these Off-Road LS engine swaps require the PCM be shipped off to someone for the Off-Road flash programming. I think a ZIF modified LS 0411 allows for a lower cost option, than shipping off the LS 0411 for Off-Road programming.

dave w

Your understanding the topic. Software to do OBDII is EXPENSIVE and then per PCM license fees.

Guys have already done an LS1 XDF for TunerPro, there are also ADX files being worked on. But uploading through OBDII port poses hardware and software issues, so if there was a chip! The Willems GQ-4X will write it!

-= =-

Super Moderator
    http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/stor...supportICs.asp

willems 3 and 4 series supported devices list.

both the 512K and 1M chips are on that list.

Finding a surface mount ZIF socket in the PSOP 44 package to solder on to the LS 0411 PCM circuit board is a challenge! ... I'm still looking.

dave w

Super Moderator
    hmm....

plenty of ZIF PSOP to DIP adapters out there....

it's kind of ghetto, but assuming no PSOP44 ZIF sockets could be found, most PSOP44 to DIP adapters could have the PSOP socket desoldered from them and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Your understanding the topic. Software to do OBDII is EXPENSIVE and then per PCM license fees.

Guys have already done an LS1 XDF for TunerPro, there are also ADX files being worked on. But uploading through OBDII port poses hardware and software issues, so if there was a chip! The Willems GQ-4X will write it!
    So if flashing through the obd port, you having to go through a bunch of other software in the pcm to "get to" the bin to be able to even read and write it? Where if you go right to the chip you can skip all that?
    So basicly your getting rid of the need for the uber expensive software and the highway robbery per vehicle licence, and making it avalabe to be done with tunerpro and a chip burner?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    So if flashing through the obd port, you having to go through a bunch of other software in the pcm to "get to" the bin to be able to even read and write it? Where if you go right to the chip you can skip all that?
    So basicly your getting rid of the need for the uber expensive software and the highway robbery per vehicle licence, and making it avalabe to be done with tunerpro and a chip burner?
    That is the goal, go directly to the flash chip. Some people have the surface mount IC soldering skills to desolder the flash chip, then read / write the flash chip, and then resolder the flash chip back onto the LS 0411 circuit board. The parts I'm hoping to find parts, would allow for desoldering the flash chip, then solder in a surface mount PSOP 44 ZIF socket were the flash chip was. This would allow for "Chip Swapping" like OBDI.

dave w