Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chips in a OBDII PCM?

To bad it was not a positive clip type zif we have seen on there... wonder about the chip availability?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    To bad it was not a positive clip type zif we have seen on there... wonder about the chip availability?
    I don't know about the chip availability.

There are ZIF's, usually soldered to a PCB for flashing.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Using the links from Caleditor, the two parts below could be used to make the chip in the '0411 removable. Based on comments from Caleditor and other tread followers, the chip socket is not positive locking enough for service in a moving vehicle.

dave w
    Get rid of the chip socket and solder the chip directly to the pcb. Then use something like the moates memcal readout header to program it.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Did you ever try it using these parts, or only the sockets?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    We tried these 2
    This is the socket we used
    http://www.dobbertin-elektronik.de/d...kel-psop44.htm

We tried this one also
    http://www.kempower-motorsport.com/i...oduct_id=19638

We also have a clamp type socket

Banned
    We had a reason for our project. It was not the answer to the issue.

What would the advantage be to a socket?

I can pull the chip, Read it off board, Flash it, Reinstall it in less than 30 minutes if the off board reader works without an issue. Tom aka N0dih does most our the chip work and can do the complete job in around 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    This got me thinking...If a header (pic below) was soldered onto the PCM main board instead of a chip, then a ribbon cable could be connected to a "yet to be developed Ostrich 3" emulator. I'm thinking TunerPro is far enough along now to support some of the most popular '0411 Operating Systems?

I'm also thinking JeepsAndGuns idea should work if a ribbon cable was connected to a header that is soldered onto the PCM main board, and connected to a PSOP44 adapter board with the chip soldered to it.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 11-30-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Banned
    This got me thinking...If a header (pic below) was soldered onto the PCM main board instead of a chip, then a ribbon cable could be connected to a "yet to be developed Ostrich 3" emulator. I'm thinking TunerPro is far enough along now to support some of the most popular '0411 Operating Systems?

I'm also thinking JeepsAndGuns idea should work if a ribbon cable was connected to a header that is soldered onto the PCM main board, and connected to a PSOP44 adapter board with the chip soldered to it.

dave w
    The same header from Moates is much cheaper if I remember correctly. This is the same header for the Road Runner

I think that is the header we used. When we did our project as a repair kit and we had issues with the chip. We looked into going with the wider header, but we found out that was not the issue

Dave what would the reason be for socketing the board?

You can get the chip off of a PCM within 2 minutes if you were all setup for it.

I just got back from the shop (needed the MDI) or I would do a timed run at one

I use a 1/4 cordless impact driver to zip open the PCM and extract the board. Then I heat the chip and the area around it with a cheap Wagner heat gun (Paint removing type from Home Depot). I use a small pick at one end and either push on the chip or sometimes lightly lift the chip. I apply light pressure to chip and watch for it starts to move before lifting or moving it. If the heat gun is already hot I can have the chip off in around 2 minutes.
    70% of the time I reinstall it with the heat gun and never use a soldering iron.
    I am just a regular GM dealership tech and not a professional repair guy. Tom on the other hand make me look like a noob

Quote Originally Posted by Caleditor View Post
    Dave what would the reason be for socketing the board?

You can get the chip off of a PCM within 2 minutes if you were all setup for it.

I just got back from the shop (needed the MDI) or I would do a timed run at one

I use a 1/4 cordless impact driver to zip open the PCM and extract the board. Then I heat the chip and the area around it with a cheap Wagner heat gun (Paint removing type from Home Depot). I use a small pick at one end and either push on the chip or sometimes lightly lift the chip. I apply light pressure to chip and watch for it starts to move before lifting or moving it. If the heat gun is already hot I can have the chip off in around 2 minutes.
    70% of the time I reinstall it with the heat gun and never use a soldering iron.
    I am just a regular GM dealership tech and not a professional repair guy. Tom on the other hand make me look like a noob
    Not many members here have the skills to do component replacement on a PCM circuit board. To the members here that have PCM circuit board component level skills, this topic is of very little interest to them (except maybe you and very few others, and I appreciate your input on the topic!). Many members here have send there OBD1 ECM's to Moates.net to have the 24 pin dip socket installed. If there was an option to have a header installed on the PCM main circuit board and then install the chip installed on a daughter board was available; I think many members would opt to have the PCM circuit board component service done professionally. JeepAndGuns idea is a very good idea / solution for those members without PCM circuit board component replacement level skills.

I personally think the main goal with the '0411 PCM is to make flashing / emulating as ultra low cost as possible. The basic EFI cost rule still applies, the more you know about EFI the less money you pay for EFI. The "E" in EFI means Electronic, so the EFI cost rule applies, the more you know about Electronics, the less money you pay for Electronics.

dave w

Banned
    Not many members here have the skills to do component replacement on a PCM circuit board. To the members here that have PCM circuit board component level skills, this topic is of very little interest to them (except maybe you and very few others, and I appreciate your input on the topic!). Many members here have send there OBD1 ECM's to Moates.net to have the 24 pin dip socket installed. If there was an option to have a header installed on the PCM main circuit board and then install the chip installed on a daughter board was available; I think many members would opt to have the PCM circuit board component service done professionally. JeepAndGuns idea is a very good idea / solution for those members without PCM circuit board component replacement level skills.

I personally think the main goal with the '0411 PCM is to make flashing / emulating as ultra low cost as possible. The basic EFI cost rule still applies, the more you know about EFI the less money you pay for EFI. The "E" in EFI means Electronic, so the EFI cost rule applies, the more you know about Electronics, the less money you pay for Electronics.

dave w
    I will try to get some picture on the next one I do.
    I have done maybe 10 or so my self, but it seems to be almost a novice level or work.

I have the pin out for the JTAG/BDM pad. I will look for it. That could also be another way in.

BTW the PSOP44 chips legs break off very easily. I have broken a few. I have my used supply taped down to a thin piece of foam.

I personally think the main goal with the '0411 PCM is to make flashing / emulating as ultra low cost as possible.

Exactly. I thought our goal here was to make the 411 pcm be able to have a easy to remove chip that could then be flashed/programmed by a chip burner hooked to a computer and not need a special (and very very expensive) program/tuning software and cable.

We're seeing how easy that is...

-= =-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    We're seeing how easy that is...
    If that's for me. I have a 0411 at the dealership I can pull the chip and read out on Monday morning before 8 am

That was for everyone and why we started this.

For me it does not matter as I have a couple options for flash. But for the guys who want to only do one! Pretty expensive for cable and software and most guys doing OBDI have a burner.

-= =-

Looking at the above links, here is a idea, tell me if it seems workable.

Remove the original chip in the pcm and replace it with this:
    http://www.logicalsys.com/painfo-vpa...-SOF-D630-44/6

Then install this onto it:
    http://www.logicalsys.com/painfo-vpa...er=PA-DSO-4406

Then install this onto that:
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...aRL9q047Vi8%3d

Then solder the chip onto this:
    http://www.logicalsys.com/painfo-vpa...PA-SOD6SM18-44

Now we have a easy to remove chip that could be easaly put into a chip burner using the same ZIF socket that we just installed into the pcm.
    Would that be workable? I know it would require a hole be cut into the pcm case, but for us who only want/need to tune one pcm/vehicle I wouldnt have a problem doing it, and I am sure a water tight cover would not be hard to make.