Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chips in a OBDII PCM?

Fuel Injected!
    798-A3D-44DA-2DSE71 is not correct. 1.27 pitch as listed, is actually the lead lenght.

Carb and Points!
    NICE! This is almost exactly what I was planning on doing myself. Interesting that I happen to stumble upon this thread!

I've got a Willem GQ-4X that I had purchased for some microcontroller projects and bios hacking I was doing a while back. I was going to try and use this to read the flash of a 99 Vortec PCM S/N 16263494. I haven't taken the unit apart yet to find which chip it has, but I will be doing that this afternoon. I have a lot of experience soldering SMD components.. upwards of 200 pins with very fin pitch. With some good flux and some practice drag soldering you can solder ANYTHING. Also, for anyone trying to remove these chips, Chipquik comes in VERY handy!
    I too have experience designing PCB's. I use the toner transfer method for quick jobs at home, and I would be willing to help out with this project.

So don't let this thread die! Keep me posted :P

Regards,
    Jack.

I don't want to slow any progress here as this chiping will be useful,

But I'm still testing a flash program and progress is underway. It works with AVT cable and a cheaper alternative cable being made. Will work with both cables. It has a lot of useful tools to do other PCMs, but so far LS1 0411 is the goal. Identify PCM, Write VIN, Seed/Key, Read bin, test mode are all done and write is underway. It will already write sections now but not entire calibration or OS yet.

It's still not free, but so cheap it won't matter and no per anything licensing...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    It has a lot of useful tools to do other PCMs

It's still not free, but so cheap it won't matter and no per anything licensing...
    and i'm sold.

as long as i'll be able to read/flash 96-05ish FWD V6 PCMs, that covers 90% of everything i see myself playing with in the near future.

was there any kind of timeframe released yet?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    I am interested in this flash program you speak of. Could you tell us any more info on it? Does it use any hardware between the PCM and the the computer or is it all software controlled? Perhaps an idea of the price-point? No per anything licensing and cheap flashing from the port would be great.

Believe me everyone is interested. Going to change the whole OBDII market place. Great tool for adding other PCMs as well. It will need an AVT cable or the alternative being made, no time frame or price yet. Owner wishes to stay anonymous for time being. GearHead-EFI.com may be the USA reseller.

It is really coming along fast at this point...

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Believe me everyone is interested. Going to change the whole OBDII market place. Great tool for adding other PCMs as well. It will need an AVT cable or the alternative being made, no time frame or price yet. Owner wishes to stay anonymous for time being. GearHead-EFI.com may be the USA reseller.

It is really coming along fast at this point...
    In the meantime:

http://www.chip-service.de/product_i...20shifted.html

PSOP44_Set_versetzt.jpg

Still no reason to stop innovation. Some PCM can become bricks with a bad flash and some are locked by tuners. So a chip solution can always work.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Excellent work EagleMark and Antus. I am really interested in the cable.. I have a little engineering in my background, and I'm curious what chip you are using for this 'low cost' cable? The STN1170 maybe? Making such an alternative open source would change everything. I would love to see this go open, so maybe then I could contribute! It only takes one REALLY giving group of developers to change a scene as money hungry as this one. OPEN OPEN OPEN :P

Regards,
    Jack.

Carb and Points!
    On another note, I've come across an old friend with the TunerCAT OBDII Tuner software, however his AVT cable is non functional.. which is why he hasn't used it in years. go figure. Can't catch a break. So, for the record.. the data in said software format are not compressed, and can be hex edited back into the original BIN.. Or at least it completely appears so. I haven't flashed and tested yet, but I'm fairly confident. :P.

Regards,
    Jack.
    Last edited by RidDleZ; 07-30-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RidDleZ View Post
    Excellent work EagleMark and Antus. I am really interested in the cable.. I have a little engineering in my background, and I'm curious what chip you are using for this 'low cost' cable? The STN1170 maybe? Making such an alternative open source would change everything. I would love to see this go open, so maybe then I could contribute! It only takes one REALLY giving group of developers to change a scene as money hungry as this one. OPEN OPEN OPEN :P

Regards,
    Jack.
    All the thanks go to Antus! I had nothing to do with the program other then testing... but if you follow the link to PCMHacking/DelcoHacking.com there are several people who were sharing source code, so if you can help I'm sure they will too!

Easy way to get bin file from TunerCat is Ctrl T when Winflashb is open and it will read just bin. I forget how to chop off part of the hex added that makes it a .cal file?

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Alright, I'll probably join up on that forum too! Also, my situation is I have the software, but no way to flash or read from the PCM (lack of AVT or comparable cable). SO I've dumped the BIN from my 'black box''s intel flash chip using the GQ-4x. Modified it in TunerCat and cut the chunks of the binary that have been modified out of the CAL and back into the BIN (looking into making a converter for this..) Another reason this lower cost cable would be such a miracle, and if it were to be released open we could make them ourselves! Or improve upon it, ect. I just cant believe it has taken 13+ years to finally have the possibility of economical flashing through the OBDII connector. haha.. amazing.

Regards,
    Jack.

Administrator
    GM released OBDI EFI in 1981. It was 1996 or 97 when that was "cracked." The wait has been a bit shorter this time around.

Fuel Injected!
    Its great that people are interested in my tool, but you probably should comment either here on this forum:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-Tool-Released

or here at pcmhacking:
    http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3112

and if you dont have it yet, get it here:
    http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3111

Probably better to keep this thread on flash chip hardware mods, which is also a very interesting topic. Its likely i'll need to do this too, if I brick my pcm before the tool is finished. Had a close shave last night, successfully erase a calibration block, but after a moment of panic and wishing i had a socketed chip I discovered that it was the checksum test that had caused it not to boot, the erase had done the right thing and it was recoverable :) Hehe.

Those kits above look the go. I think i'd better order one now in anticipation!