Thread: Motorsports injectors, or old junk GM ones? :)

Fuel Injected!

Motorsports injectors, or old junk GM ones? :)

Eventually want to get this Olds project up and running, and I like to have the parts around for when I get the urge. If I figure out which injectors to use, I'm sure it will be cheaper to buy today, than later.

In the GMC motorhome build the guy used Ford motorsport injectors http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/40...ion/p3691.html

I could use at least four that are bad, or 8 if good. I need them to be able to mock up the rails and set the throttle body spacer, etc.

I would be interested perhaps in some GM stuff, but I have a TPI-vintage Multec(?) to play with already, and I understand the later LT/LS stuff might be different, and if measurements are different, I wouldn't mind one of each to play with, or anything else that is somewhat similar. You can see in the above link what needed to be done to make the Motorsport ones fit. Those wouldn't have to be new either.

Don't mind paying shipping, at this point I'd prefer to get my hands on "bad" ones so that I don't feel bad if I ruin them, and/or they don't fit.
    Last edited by dyeager535; 01-12-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727

I'm wondering if you have considered the Ford 24 Lb injectors?
    Length: 3 inches, 74 mm
    Diameter: 16 mm
    Orings: Top and bottom, 14.5 mm
    Resistance: 14 Ohms (high impedance)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BOSC...43bbe8&vxp=mtr

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 01-12-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I will consider ANYTHING at this point. When those guys did those swaps I think they were using the "SVO" injectors, which is what I have on my truck. IIRC those SVO ones are either not called that anymore, or are completely gone. They used to be very reasonable on summit.

The one you link to looks pretty good, especially on the "tip" end, since it's narrower there than the ones used in the swap.

But I'm cheap. I'd prefer to have a minimum of 4 of anything, so I'd at least have an idea how the rail would sit with X height injectors. I'm thinking I might be able to get them out of the wrecking yard cheaper than $10/ea. I may not have been entirely clear, nothing new there, but I just want to experiment until I find injectors that will work, then buy 8 new of those, unless I can get some used ones from a trusted source.

What the heck are these? They are TINY! http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3574/media/images might be short enough to put the rail UNDER the IAC lol.
    Last edited by dyeager535; 01-12-2013 at 04:52 AM.
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727

I understood your request for low cost. The injectors I posted a link to showed 4 pages of vehicle applications the injectors were used on. I was thinking your local salvage yards, or "pull the parts yourself" type junkyards in your area would very likely have a few / several possible donor vehicles to get the injectors from? Hopefully at your price point? I think a late 90's Ford Taurus, Crown Victoria, or Mercury Sable 3.0 V6 / 4.6 V8 would be easy to find in a junkyard?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Oh, NOW I get you! :) I'll have to look next time I'm there. I noticed they had a LOT of late 90's Cadillacs for some reason, but I do think there was a crown vic or two in there too. Thanks for the tip, that's a great idea. I have no idea what the 'yards get for injectors, hopefully not a ton. Gives me an excuse to look for another Gentex mirror I don't need too. :)

The "SVO" ones are now "Ford Racing" when you're ready for new. The old fat body style is no more new. Those red ones are 30 lbs (@39psi) Ford racing offers now two style connectors EV1 (old) and EV6?

Quote Originally Posted by dyeager535 View Post
    What the heck are these? They are TINY! http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3574/media/images might be short enough to put the rail UNDER the IAC lol.
    Those are the injectors edelbrock uses in their pro-flow EFI systems. Pico style. It's the injectors originally intended to be used with the MPFI intake and fuel rails I put on my cherokee. I just opted to use the more standard and junkyard avalable bosch style injectors. They fit just fine, I just had to make a new mount for the fuel rails to raise them up a bit. You can search on here where I have a couple threads on my build. They are the same diamiter and use the same o-rings/holes in the intake and rails as standard bosch injectors.
    I dont suppose there is anything wrong with those injectors, I just chose not to use them because I wanted a more readaly avalable and affordable injector.
    Here is what they would be used in from edelbrock. Not sure if any OEM uses those injectors or not.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-35310
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Still need injectors?
    I was a Ford driveability tech for several years,including during cash for clunkers :)
    I have more than a few sets of injectors laying around from 15lb to 42lb from various vehicles i've scrapped.
    Just post up a size and preferred connector and i'll see what I got.

Fuel Injected!
    I've had some great luck with a couple of vendors sending me low or no cost "test" units of unknown condition to play with actually. Their willingness to assist has been excellent.

Since the already invented wheel in this case was the motorsport injectors, I wouldn't mind having some. Here is a picture of what was done/used originally: http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/40...ion/p3685.html

I personally don't care what injector I use, my only requirements are that they are somewhat affordable (~$400 for a set of 8, new), work with the TPI ECM, and that I can get parts reasonable/easily,namely the connectors for them. Since I'm going to be converting a TBI harness over, the connector can be whatever the injector I decide on uses. I note that the Ford racing injectors on summitracing are pretty cheap, but they look like a lot more plastic, and if I have to modify dimensions similar to what is shown above, they need to be accepting of those changes.

Initially the setup will be on a 415CID motor with a pretty mild cam, later it will probably be used on a 350 that might be a bit more aggressive. Worst case I think 42lb injectors would be usable, ~32lb seem to be about optimum, and 24's might be pushed a bit hard, but could probably be made to work. You can PM me if you like, interested to hear what you have!

Thanks!

Fuel Injected!
    I'm using the 42lb (motorsport pretty sure) in an L67 build,but offhand I do have a set of northstar injectors I know.
    I'll see what I have in full sets.
    I didn't realize you were looking for new,mine are all used pullouts though I think I still have a couple sets that are freshly flushed and sonic cleaned maybe.
    I built an "apparatus" for doing it that worked great,need to build another.

Fuel Injected!
    Sorry if I was unclear...I don't mind a used set, but once I get it figured out which injector is best, I intend to buy new, if nothing else as backups. My last set of used injectors didn't last real long, so I'm a bit leery of trusting a used set for the long term. I may be off base, but like I said, I had a problem, although they were the multecs, and I have been told multiple times they tend to be problematic.

Anyway, my reasoning for trying to find some cheap/free used ones is to get my hands on as many different designs as possible without breaking the bank. Since I'm not sure what I'm going to end up using yet, I don't want to sink a fair bit of money into any one particular injector setup. I know what has been used for my application, I just don't have enough experience with different make injectors to know what is available that may possibly work better.

Fuel Injected!
    Sorry,reread the first post and somehow missed where you said mockup.
    Just pm me an address.

Fuel Injected!
    Did you ever receive the injectors I sent?
    Hopefully they will be of some use,I sent a couple of every type I could find except for one I think.