Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuning restrictions coming for software makers.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    does EFILive require you to register your address with them when you buy their software/hardware?
    Yes! But all the downloads are from internet and there will only be one version! This is what puzzles me, but they are very sharp at protecting their stuff.

It's not that anyone isn't happy with EFI Live or software, the blame has to go to EPA and US goverment. They are just trying to stay a step in front of lawsuits...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    well, for instance.....

assuming they store your location in the registration file, they could just check to see what country is selected. if USA, the DPF and EGR stuff would be hidden. it's actually a really simple thing to impliment and could be done while keeping a single unified program.

EDIT: Dave, that MIGHT work.
    Last edited by RobertISaar; 01-14-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

well, for instance.....

assuming they store your location in the registration file, they could just check to see what country is selected. if USA, the DPF and EGR stuff would be hidden. it's actually a really simple thing to impliment and could be done while keeping a single unified program.

EDIT: Dave, that MIGHT work.
    But it doesn't matter, since there will be one program, that doesn't allow those changes in any region.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    perhaps i've been interpretting things incorrectly then?

i thought it was "one program, USA tuners won't have access to xxx"...
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    But it doesn't matter, since there will be one program, that doesn't allow those changes in any region.
    Region Locks are usually imbeded in the Product Firmware. Ever wonder how EU versions of a product can't share consumable supplies with say the Asian version of the same product? Firware in the product can create region locks to prevent bootleg consumable products from working in different parts of the world. I'm thinking EFI Live offers one Firmware version for it's products, so if your current version of EFI Live allow access to certain tuning features, I'm betting updating to newer Firmware would disable tuning features that used to work.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 01-16-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Actually it's quite simple, your IP address reveals where you are, they could apply the lock in that manner. Even simpler I would think is to look at Windows. Because of export restrictions, the US version of Windows is different than the international version. You could just have a piece of code that looked at which version of Windows is running and make a branch accordingly.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

perhaps i've been interpretting things incorrectly then?

i thought it was "one program, USA tuners won't have access to xxx"...
    I have looked at the link again, that seems to be quite different than what I read previously, and it seems that region specific locks will be enabled, which means that it will not be difficult to get around those restrictions, regardless of how they intend to implement that.

"region specific restrictions will be implemented in future software releases"

The only hitch that could cause issues is if there is a VIN check, that checks against a known value for VINs sold within the USA, that would just make it more difficult to get around.

The issue here is that it affects off road only tuners that have no need, and may actually cause issues with performance to keep those systems enabled in the tune.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Pretty easy to change a VIN before downloading the calibration... to easy for me... so I think EFI Live is smarter then that.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Pretty easy to change a VIN before downloading the calibration... to easy for me... so I think EFI Live is smarter then that.
    There's a huge issue with that though, when it gets flashed to the PCM, it won't match, and if the E-testing gets to be like it is around here, the VIN as read from the PCM will be part of the pass/fail of the test.

Still can be done. Actually EFI Live made that to easy. The tune tool does not change the VIN, the scan tool does. Scan tool, change VIN, then read with tune tool, make changes and re-flash, connect to scan tool and change VIN back. Unlike TunerCat which changes the VIN in the calibration.

They are high tech, it's got to be in software and location of registered owner. How? I don't know and I don't do diesels so don't care, I also won't upgrade if it ever happens to gas. As it stands now half of what we have and can still find to add is not included. Even if you can find a parameter there is no access to add it. Files are not accessible. It's nothing like TunerPro.

At the rate the LS 0411 is going it won't matter, we will have our next generation PCM soon without the need.

-= =-

-= =-

WTF?

Aren't the devices (what ever they may be) sold as off-road use only?

Yeah but this is the EPA, even if they have legal proof they sold them as off road only, EPA is goverment and does not have to follow law! Even our president makes laws without congress, passing executive orders which were not designed for the purpose he abuses them for... since goverment and president has gone on another gun restriction/ban wagon again, gun and ammo sales have gone through the roof. Police departments ammo suppliers are low or out. Remember our second amendment "Right to bare arms" was not for people to own guns for self protection, hunting or target practice. The origanal purpose was for people to be a well armed militia to protect itself from goverment!

Enviormental Protection Agency goes after diesels, but huge factories can pollute on a grand scale without fines?

Our federal goverment is so out of touch with the reality of the people. Congress has an 11% rating. Our real issue is economy and jobs which they do nothing for, and everything against. It's not good times down here. Nothing they do seems to have a plan to fix our future, just sink us further? Majority of people here now are lost sheep and follow blindly...

Quadzilla closed up shop, I guess to avoid lawsuit?

-= =-

Administrator
    “Our goal is to have these illegal devices removed and proper emission controls installed,” said Jared Blumenfeld, EPA’s Regional Administrator for the Pacific Southwest. “Allowing black smoke to billow conspicuously from the tailpipes of diesel pickup trucks is a practice that directly harms public health.”

It's the obvious black smoke that's the driving force. It looks like we've gone back to the 1970's. Don't make 'em look bad and they won't bother looking at all. EPA has apparently taken the position that the manufacturer is responsible for ensuring the end user doesn't use the product illegally which is counter to how the market operates. Maybe it wouldn't stand in court but I'm wondering if companies believe the cost of the fight isn't worth the effort. Notice, both Casper's and this case have targeted relatively small US based manufacturers rather than some of the large overseas copycat companies.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 01-24-2013 at 08:32 PM.

its always the few bad apples that ruin it for the rest of us. Bank's theory is that black smoke on a diesel is wasted energy. look at some of the videos on Bank's website you wont see their high performance, record setting vehicles black smoking everywhere. I have a bully dog tuner on my 2500 and I really have to be hard on the throttle for it to black smoke, and its considered a "dirty tuner" just not as high as edge or quadzilla. I have no DPF or muffler either. we have a group of people in this town that have "black smoke mafia" across their windshields and just bellow smoke at the touch of the throttle. I figured it wouldn't be long before something like this would happen because of people like them...
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,