Thread: Tuning restrictions coming for software makers.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    At least EFI Live has notified everyone this is coming! So far it's just for DPF in diesels and was initiated by EPA because of all the YouTube videos of diesels pumping out black smoke! Besides DPF paremeters it looks like EGR is going to be done as well. Cure is to not upgrade, but next upgrade includes some cool features for diesel tuners like a new custom operating system. How they are going to implement to just USA customers is not being said since upgrade software is the same? Old tunes with mods done are not effected...

But HPTuners did this already and did not notify anyone...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    I was reading stuff on Sprinter forums (we're getting a new Sprinter this year). Aussie / NZ guy was talking about DPF issues and was very, very cryptic about how to get around them. Maybe protecting a revenue stream? Maybe worried about legal issues? A couple other forums with worldwide participation seemed to show the same results. Diesel guys seem to be aware of something going on, and it's big enough they aren't saying much. The whole world hates black smoke right now. Everything from bad weather to bad economy to local McDonald's screwing up your cheeseburger is getting blamed on climate change and greenhouse gases. True or not, best approach might be to avoid it.

Question of "how" for EFILive is intriguing. I'm not the only one with an interest in finding out but mine's just curiousity. Of course, files will be zipping back and forth across the ocean like crazy once updates prevent changes. Neat idea... install tuning software on remote machine in foreign country and allow remote access software. User can log in, run tuning software, make changes and save. Then D/L changed file back to machine in US. "Nope, no US machine has access to these features."

From what I read EFI Live has it figured out but of course isn't talking. Same software, no difference they say, just won't work in USA? On the other hand it looks like tuners have it figured out and again not talking. This is without emailing files accross country boudries. I think it's in the bootloader, but how would bootloader know where you are?

There's also a calming factor that none of this will happen to LSx PCM... for now I guess...

There is one feature in DVDs I don't understand how it works? Regions? Must be differant DVDs?

-= =-

From what I read FEILive will not be making two separate software packages, so this will not only affect US tuners, but tuners world wide.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    DVD Region codes have a complimentary system. DVD unit / drive has info for region it's sold or used in. DVD has info for region it can be played in.

Bootloader is software that does initial job of uploading the main program to get teh box working. Kind of like when you install winnows on a new hard drive and Winnows Setup" program starts and runs, and loads a bunch of drivers, &etc. Changing the bootloader is like changing winnows setup.

Super Moderator
    does EFILive require you to register your address with them when you buy their software/hardware?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    does EFILive require you to register your address with them when you buy their software/hardware?
    I used my credit card to purchase EFI Live, so I'm thinking the billing address or shipping address is available to EFI Live. Maybe an Ebay International seller offering a used "NIB" EFI Live system would be alternate option?

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    Yes! But all the downloads are from internet and there will only be one version! This is what puzzles me, but they are very sharp at protecting their stuff.

It's not that anyone isn't happy with EFI Live or software, the blame has to go to EPA and US goverment. They are just trying to stay a step in front of lawsuits...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    well, for instance.....

assuming they store your location in the registration file, they could just check to see what country is selected. if USA, the DPF and EGR stuff would be hidden. it's actually a really simple thing to impliment and could be done while keeping a single unified program.

EDIT: Dave, that MIGHT work.
    Last edited by RobertISaar; 01-14-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E