Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TBI Chip 1983 CJ 7 with 1990 350 TBI having chip proram issues

I have to apoligze for the bad attitude. Just fed up with tbichip.com customers having to come here for help after they have paid for a tuning service! Not the customers fault, my anger is towards company, your not the first, doubt you'll be the last? If it was once in awhile it be no big deal, but this is a constant flow. It goes far above these custom tunes, the stock off the shelf chips are worthless as tits on a bull as well, but people keep sending him money?

If you'd like to learn to tune, read data, diagnose and fix? Let's continue. I'm done trying to fix problems for this company.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I have to apoligze for the bad attitude. Just fed up with tbichip.com customers having to come here for help after they have paid for a tuning service! Not the customers fault, my anger is towards company, your not the first, doubt you'll be the last? If it was once in awhile it be no big deal, but this is a constant flow. It goes far above these custom tunes, the stock off the shelf chips are worthless as tits on a bull as well, but people keep sending him money?

If you'd like to learn to tune, read data, diagnose and fix? Let's continue. I'm done trying to fix problems for this company.
    I understand, but as far as sending him money when I did a search his name popped up and when I read through his site it seems to have a lot of useful information that lured me into believing he knew what he was doing. Even after doing a google search I found very little that would make me believe otherwise.

It was only after having some problems and finding this site that I started to gain some knowledge and seeing post from other customers of Brian’s that I started to become skeptical of his ability’s.

You have to understand you and others on this site have a good understanding of what is involved in programming a chip. But for the average person doing an EFI conversion like myself I was just looking for a plug and play solution to my program needs and when I came across TBIchips.com it looked like it fit the bill. But now due to what I have learned on this site I now know that plug and play are not possible.

As far as wasting my hard earned money it hurts but mistakes are sometimes costly, but I have always felt like if I learn something from the mistake not all is lost (and I have definitely learned something).

Sometimes you can't beleive all you read on the internet...

You need to do a couple things to get good data. Put the stock thermastat back in, you'll never have good gas milage with a 160.

Second DO NOT apply 10k while recording data! Not needed and messes up all data.

If all your chips are based off ANLW then that is a starting point problem. That chip was superceeded to ASDU in 1989...

Then we will have actual good data to see where you are at.

-= =-

Sometimes you can't beleive all you read on the internet...

You need to do a couple things to get good data. Put the stock thermastat back in, you'll never have good gas milage with a 160.

Second DO NOT apply 10k while recording data! Not needed and messes up all data.

If all your chips are based off ANLW then that is a starting point problem. That chip was superceeded to ASDU in 1989...

Then we will have actual good data to see where you are at.

I have a 180 deg stat in there, the problem is the other day my electric fan switch messed up so I just grounded out the trigger wire and the fan comes on any time the key is on now.

In the data I posted it does eventually make it up to 180 but it takes a while.

As far as not applying 10k not sure what you’re talking about, when I get home this evening I will try to figure it out.

Don't know what cable you have but no 10k jumper. Your log is in ALDL mode.

Wow, I thought I saw highway speeds and only 160F. JFYI data should always be started fully warmed up and closed loop. or it's not good in TP history table etc... Could be sorted out in a spread sheet.

-= =-

Post your data log!
    For injector duty cycle to work you need to apply the hack to the bin file with XDF befor data logging. It takes the place of Prom ID.

For the spark advance to show, same thing apply the hack to bin from XDF. It takes the place od O2 coss counts.
    I only wish I new how to do this I have spent the last hour and a half going back through the tutorial trying to figure out what your talking about.

You also mentioned not to apply 10 k there again I don't know what you mean.

This is the cable I am using
    http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html

Am I using the correct files
    Attached Files Attached Files

Don't know what cable you have but no 10k jumper. Your log is in ALDL mode.

Wow, I thought I saw highway speeds and only 160F. JFYI data should always be started fully warmed up and closed loop. or it's not good in TP history table etc... Could be sorted out in a spread sheet.
    Pretty sure last data was started in closed loop. However I do know that the engine temp was not up to 180 degs yet.

I also noticed I did not have the correct bin file loaded when I did that last data log so that may have caused some problems.

When I got home I loaded the BIn listed above and gave it a try but the injector duty cycles are still reading high.
    Last edited by devind; 02-13-2013 at 02:23 AM.

You'd have to ask Redevil river how to turn off 10K, I'm not familar with his cables.

Not sure if hacks are in Tutorial? Tutorial is really only a basic start to get going.

Yes those are right files. Open them in TunerPro with the bin you want to use. If you don't see the Paremeter tree on left click View, Show Paremeter Tree. Then choose Catagories is easiest. See a folder for Hacks? Read instructions. Then you will have spark advance and BPW, which converts to Injector Duty Cycle, and MPG with a history table.

-= =-

Yes those are right files. Open them in TunerPro with the bin you want to use. If you don't see the Paremeter tree on left click View, Show Paremeter Tree. Then choose Catagories is easiest. See a folder for Hacks? Read instructions. Then you will have spark advance and BPW, which converts to Injector Duty Cycle, and MPG with a history table.
    Thank you,
    I reset the the bin file with the hack and saved them.
    Then went out warmed the Jeep up and plugged in the Tuner Pro to just monitor incoming data.
    The injector duty cycle is still reading high with no change as far as I could tell.
    Is this still a problem with cable settings or is there something else I can try.

To datalog BPW change the address from D002D003 to 00AB00AC. Those are number zero and not letter O. Save bin, burn chip, use chip and it should work.

Post the bin and log and we can see?

ALDL mode adds 8.09 degrees timing on top of spark advance, rasies idle, not sure what it does to fuel? I learned a long time ago that the internet was wrong and 10k was not needed on this ECM and messes up all data.

-= =-

To datalog BPW change the address from D002D003 to 00AB00AC. Those are number zero and not letter O. Save bin, burn chip, use chip and it should work.

Post the bin and log and we can see?

ALDL mode adds 8.09 degrees timing on top of spark advance, rasies idle, not sure what it does to fuel? I learned a long time ago that the internet was wrong and 10k was not needed on this ECM and messes up all data.
    I do not have the ability to burn a chip I was just logging data and was wondering as to why the injector duty was always reading so high.

Just for the heck of it I went out and recorded another data log
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by devind View Post
    I do not have the ability to burn a chip I was just logging data and was wondering as to why the injector duty was always reading so high.
    Got to apply the hack to bin file, burn chip then use it or data will not be changed to come out of chip differantly.

XDF side of TunerPro changes the bin file you burn onto chip. This is what makes changes to chip.

ADX side of TunerPro is the scan tool to watch what engine sensors are doing. So you know what to adjust in chip.

-= =-

I may have jumped the gun on complaining about the program that tbichips.com did.

I had the day off today and decided to check some things out.

First off I pulled the plugs to give them a check and right away I noticed a lot of ash buildup on all of the plugs with 4 being pretty bad probably from all the earlier runs when the BLM’s were so low which was caused from the injectors flowing more than what was estimated (thought they were 60lbs ended up being 69lbs). Also they showed some signs of the timing being a little retarded.

So I installed some new plugs and took it for a little test drive right away I could tell it was running much better but felt a little sluggish like it wanted some more timing. So I advanced the timing 3 degrees for a total of 11 degrees of base timing.

I know I lot of you will think that is a crazy amount of base timing but that is the only way it will run good. Anything less than about 6 to 7 degrees of timing it will fall on its face on acceleration and backfire through the throttle body. It becomes somewhat drivable at 8 degrees and really starts running well at 10 degrees.

The BLM’s were still a little high so I raised the fuel pressure from 16 psi up to 19 psi and that seemed to lower the BLM’s a little. I have to say with those adjustments it is really running good now over all drivability is much better, it accelerates very hard from dead idle all the way to 5K.

I know there have been a lot of post on here of people that have had issues with Brian and I was afraid I too was going to fall into that same category. But I always try and treat people fair and give them a chance to make it right. I believe after he burns another chip with this new data it will be pretty close to dead on. Once the data all looks good he is going to make some changes to run a heated O/2 sensor which should also be a plus.

Here is a data log after I made all the changes.

It's great you want to treat people fair. I hope you are also treated fair! If the world was still like this it would be a better place!

Now disconnect your data cable and do the same drive and let me know if it still feels and acts the same? Please be bias and honestly let us know?

OK no don't! I just can't...

Fairness also includes being honest doesn't it? Let me give you some honesty here. Everyone here knows if and when I'm wrong they correct me, it's an open friendly environment and I am wide open for criticism.

The cable you have puts 160 baud systems which read data on Pin E of ALDL port into ALDL mode by applying 10K resistance to pins A and B. When you are in ALDL mode your idle goes to 1000 RPM, have you noticed your idle is now 1000 RPM and not what it is commanded to do in the idle table? If in gear on an auto trans and holding the brake real hard it may not make it to 1000 RPM and IAC will continue to climb trying it's hardest and max out at 145... and stay there forever and idle at 1500 RPM or so, until you turn off engine and ECM can reset, then IAC counts will go back down to maintain 1000RPM idle while cable is still plugged in. Without cable it will idle correctly again.

It also adds 8.09 degrees timing to the entire timing table in ASDU bin file and it's the same for all bin files I have seen. In ASDU the max spark in a decel condition is 39.02 degrees, minus the bias of 9.84 is a actual spark advance of 29.18 plus the ALDL spark of 8.09 is actual of 37.27. This is with the distributor set to base timing of 0 with bypass wire disconnected. You are disconnecting bypass wire and setting base timing, correct? You have a base timing now of 11 degrees, so lets add that on top of 37.27 and we have an actual timing of 48.27 degrees advance. This is for a stock timing table, I doubt if you paid for a custom chip it is stock, it should be much more so add that on top of 48.27, if you had a max WOT spark advance of 36 degrees you would be at 47!!! If the timing table was built correctly there would be no added spark advance to decel spark. Adding all the uncalculated fuel you did with fuel pressure may have saved you an engine! Also you have no knock sensor so this is crazy dangerous way to do timing? Some high compression well built engine won't knock anyway, they just loose power while the pistons melt a hole...

There's only 45 degrees between spark distributor posts on distributor cap, so now not only are you having spark knock/detonation, you've pasted all that and are firing the wrong cylinder...

If you change fuel pressure you need to calculate BPW and enter it into the bin file or none of your fueling is correct.

BLM or Block Learn Modifier is the LTFT or Long Term Fuel Trim. It's not an immediate measurement of fuel trim, it's a long term average. SO when you adjust fuel pressure or make changes to Fuel VE table to adjust for BLM/LTFT you need to clear old BLM/LTFT average and let it relearn all over again so you have an accurate BLM. Your INT Integrator or STFT Short Term Fuel Trim is all over the place so I can tell this was not cleared and it will take some time to finally relearn to a BLM number you can use for adjustment.

Also the BLM numbers are not correct if you data logged with things like PE still enabled, yours is, Decel enleanment or DFCO Decel Fuel Cut Off, EGR... ect... unless you exported data to a spread sheet and removed all those data points. BLM is a worthless number when you are in PE Power Enrichment like WOT, It locks at 128 so you have no idea what AFR you are at during WOT!

The only thing I can't explain is your run away knock counts? You still don't have a knock sensor right?

Hope that gives you some education so you can continue your tuning and make a fair decision on what to do next!

-= =-