Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TBI Chip 1983 CJ 7 with 1990 350 TBI having chip proram issues

I'd be glad to help when time comes, even if I do your tune you will learn. When I do remote desktop and talk with you on the phone you see learn as we work. with or without emulater. Besides that everyone here learns anyway. Be forwared, learning tuning, doing tuning while running a business and having a life means you need at minimum 48 hours in a day without sleep! Take out the tuning and there is a few hours of sleep in a 24 hour day...

Without knowing what spark paraemeters are set at in bin there is no correct answer to where and set timing. I would go no more then 0-5 advance with bypass wire disconnected.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I'd be glad to help when time comes, even if I do your tune you will learn. When I do remote desktop and talk with you on the phone you see learn as we work. with or without emulater. Besides that everyone here learns anyway.
    Sounds Great Thanks

Be forwared, learning tuning, doing tuning while running a business and having a life means you need at minimum 48 hours in a day without sleep! Take out the tuning and there is a few hours of sleep in a 24 hour day...
    I know that's right. I am lucky when I get to work on my own stuff anyway.
    Last edited by devind; 01-10-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Mark are you saying that using the a/c on rpm will not work to bump up rpm with 12 volt input if this is so how do we get this secret out of you.

Right, many people have tried and the paremeters to adjust just aren't there! Till I went through the $42 hack and added them to the XDF file. TunerCat won't do it. You have to raise RPM and IAC count, but there was only RPM so you get a short blip and decayed out from IAC lag filters because A/C on IAC count was not raised.

This is all from memory and I'm old... I lost the bin I had it set up in, in the computer crash of 2012. So I'd have to test on my 90 Suburban before I give paticulars.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I'm running on board air and I planned on sending signal to the ecm with a toggle to run my idle up for the compressor.is there any literature on hacks of tbi systems I would like to get a better understanding of them?

The hack, or dissasembly of the bin file has the information needed that is entered into the mask/XDF file. There is a lot to learn in them if you have the time or assembly skills, but daunting task if you don't. They are all in the $42 info thread.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-42

You don't need to though, I've already included the paremeters needed for what your doing in the XDF file for TunerPro. Just need to make the changes, burn a chip and test.

-= =-

It has been a good weekend, bought ne a used lap top, downloaded Tuner Pro, my cable arrived in the mail and I was able to hook it up to the Jeep and able to view live data. With the Jeep 8000 ppm VSS the computer was 256% off when I was running a true 50 mph the computer said I was running 178 mph. Since I was already running a Dakota Digital pulse corrector box I was able to adjust to incoming signals to read correctly, than readjusted the adjustable speedometer and now everything is on the money. However it took me almost all day and about an hour today after church due to the crappy instruction that Dakota Digital gives you to use but I eventually got in to all in sync. I would like to thank Dave for helping me work through a few glitches I was having getting Tuner Pro up and working and thank EagleMark for the awesome dash board he developed to use with the program. All in all pretty successful weekend.
    Last edited by devind; 01-14-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Still working with Brain he seems to be trying to resolve any issues I have. However I still feel we are a ways from having it right. I am on chip # 4 right now, I keep sending him winALDL data and he makes changes and sends me a new chip to try out.

We did discover an issue, he felt something had to different with the injector size because the BLM’s were so low and he didn’t think his program was off by that much. So I pulled the injectors and sent them off to be cleaned, flow tested and balanced. What should have been 60 lbs injector ended up flowing 69.3 lbs @ 14.5 psi. While it was down I decided to machine me a new aluminum TBI adapter to replace the plastic one I had and I installed a new distributor. The BLM”S with chip # 4 are in the lower 130 range not perfect but way better then the high 90’s to lower 100’s where it was before.

However I do have a question, when I use Tuner Pro why does the injector duty cycle read so high (I am getting readings between 230% to over 500%? Also why does the knock count read if I am not running a knock sensor and how do I go about reading the spark count what does the info mean?

I would also like to thank Dave W for going out of his way to help get me data logging with Tuner Pro.
    Last edited by devind; 02-12-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Post your data log!

For injector duty cycle to work you need to apply the hack to the bin file with XDF befor data logging. It takes the place of Prom ID.

For the spark advance to show, same thing apply the hack to bin from XDF. It takes the place od O2 coss counts.

Trying to tune a vehicle with WinALDL? OK great so you have BLM numbers, now what? That's ridiculas. TunerPro is WinALDL, on steroids, plus a full scantool. I'm helping another guy who is in your same boat and now I understand why he can't get it to work! Tuning by BLM numbers alone is just one part of the puzzle, I'm looking at a perfect BLM history table right now and without TunerPro I would never be able to tell there is major fueling issues!

Datamaster is much better! But still could not find the fueling issues. Thanks for opening me eyes to why so many people come here for help!

-= =-

How do I load a data log onto a thread reply? I don't see a way to add an attachment to my post.
    Last edited by devind; 02-12-2013 at 07:24 AM.

I figured it out, here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by devind View Post
    I figured it out, here you go.
    It looks like the Base Pulse Width / Injector Flow is set correctly, or close enough. There are a few Fuel cells that need adjustment. I'm wondering about the knock counts? Maybe the spark table needs adjustment?

dave w

He doesn't have a knock sensor...

-= =-

He's recording data wrong... and I don't mean because the engine never warmed up, it's something else.

-= =-

I know what's wrong with your fueling and you'll never be able to find it with BLM data.

Time to talk to your tuner and have him fix it or give your money back!

-= =-