Thread: TBI Chip 1983 CJ 7 with 1990 350 TBI having chip proram issues

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TBI Chip 1983 CJ 7 with 1990 350 TBI having chip proram issues

Not for sure if I should post this here or in TunnerPro???

But here is what I have: a 1983 Jeep CJ 7 Trail Rig (still street legal) I have been running a stock TBI 350 with the 700r that came out of a 1990 K5 Blazer for the last several years. I used a wiring harness and a custom chip from Affordable Fuel injection. Chip was programed for EGR and knock sensor deleted.

About a year ago the motor developed a miss and was down on power. That is what got me started on making some upgrades. Long story short I ended upcompletely rebuilding the engine.

Here is the info on new engine mods.

Motor and transcame out of: 1990 K5 Blazer

Engine Size: Chevy 350 bored .030 over (355ci) running flat top pistons with a std. volume / high pressure oil pump.

Fuel injection: TBI that was shaved and bored to 46mm by RV Morse Machine (# off of TB 126x64)with stock injectors, adjustable regulator and pressure gauge. Desired idle 700 rpm with the capability to energizethe A/C high idle wire through a toggle switch to raise the rpm to an high idle of 1400 rpm. I will use this as a crawl type of cruise wired through a brakeswitch to disconnect the high idle when the brakes are applied.

Intake Manifold: Jegs dual plane
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/513002/10002/-1?parentProductId=
    With throttle body bolted to it through an adapter
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-TBI-FUEL-INJECTION-4-BARREL-ADAPTER-5-7-350-HOLLEY-EDELBROCK-NEW-USA-/300835626562?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item460b335e42

Fuel Pump: A stock GM in-tank fuel pump used on a1996 vortec truck.

Throttle Body: StockGM bored to 46mm, stock injectors, adjustable regulator with gauge running 18psi.

Camshaft specs: CompCam 12-232-3
    http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=98&sb=2

Rocker Arms: Hartland Sharp roller rockers 1.5 to 1

Heads: Dart vortec replacement heads built with stock size stainless steel valves and machined for .550 lift springs. No porting just matched intake runners to intake manifold runners.

Spark plugs: Doesn’t seem to be a lot of options for these heads currently running some Champion RS12YC @ .045 gap. I am thinking of changing to some Autolite AR 103 once I get everything sorted out.

Compressing ratio: 9.25 to 1 EGR: no EGR Knock Sensor: No Thermostat Temp: 180 deg

Exhaust System: Medium length 1.5” headers to 2” Y pipe to 3”single no Cat.

Transmission: 700r custom built with heavy duty clutch packs.

Torque Convertor: IROCconvertor

Gear Ratios: currently 4.56 to 1 but soon to be 5.13 to 1 (I have some Dana 60 axle built and ready toinstall just trying to get motor issues fixed first)

Tire diameter: currently 38” but soon to be 39.5”

Transfer Case: Stak Monster Box with 3 ranges 1 to 1, 3.1 to 1 and 5 to 1 (uses a 2003 to 2006 JeepWrangler VSS) I would like to figure this into the program of the chip so that it will tell the trans to lock up torque convertor at 60 mph when in high gear.
    http://www.stak4x4.com/Transfer_Cases/3speed.htm

Computer Info: remanufactured unit from O’Reilly’s #7-7747, DC Code 0906mt and # frominside 077747000622490010

Original Chip: Original chip # ANLW 546S (S might be an 8hard to tell). I am currently running a custom chip from TBICHIP.com

With this chip the motor pulls extremely hard and revs out very strong on the top end. But the problem is that I am getting horrible fuelmileage (5 mpg); it seems to be running very rich at idle and lower rpms. Also seems to be kind of flat and sluggish right off of idle up to about 1500 rpm (I feel it is to rich).
    Also having to run a base timing of 8 degs btdc which seems strange but the motor did not run well at all with anything less than 6 deg and ran the best with as much as 10 degs. I know that is a lot of timing but the motor likes it and I have heard no signs of detonation. In addition I keep getting a trouble code #43 because I guess he failed to program it for no knock sensor.
    I have spoken to Brain @TBI.Com and acts like it is no big deal and just recommends sending the chip back for a few tweaks and setting it up for a 3 wire heated o2 sensor to help out with mileage. At this point I am already kind of stuck with having to deal with TBI.com who knows, what he wants to do might work but Ihave noticed some other people on this site having similar problems so I am concerned on what I should do. I really wish I had found this site before I had spent the money having the chip programed.

I am currently trying to learn how to use TunnerPro so that I can do some data logging. That is how I actually came to find this site. So far as for learning to use TunnerPro I have to admit I am overwhelmed with all the info and am having a hard time making sense of it all. I have been trying to down load some data log that other have posted on this site so that I could try and get a feel for how the program works but thus far I have not succeeded.

I have read the tutorial several times along with otherthreads but I am still lost.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by devind; 01-08-2013 at 05:47 PM.