Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Setting up WB in the ADX editor.

Super Moderator
    the XDF is likely fine, it's just me trying to change too much at once.

i was up until 6AM fixing our heater, so at least now i have time to work on it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    I did try the other XDF and found no difference.
    It was a cold one last night. Hope things are back to normal.

Super Moderator
    relatively normal... actually hotter then before, turns out some maintenance had been ignored for quite some time, dropping heater output.

now that i finally have enough time to dive into this for the day....

Super Moderator
    interesting.... when in lumina mode, the code actually supports a second fan(or really anything) output.... but it's only controllable via mode 4 commands.... kind of odd, but whatever.

anyways, there is not very much open space in the BIN left for an elaborate fan control method, so i am reusing some code where possible. i mean, as long as you don't want to impliment a soft-start function or something like it, then it's not an issue, but much beyond that and the BIN would need to be bumped up to a 32KB BIN space.... at which point, you would have a little over 16KB of free space from the 8000-BFFF range.

anyways, leave the flag in the S10 mode, the normal temp on/off settings that already exist are still functional. i didn't mess with the MPH part of it, so just set that to whatever you did before that had it working. the 68/70 settings SHOULD have worked from the start(fan enabled until hitting 70MPH, then disabled until under 68MPH), but i don't have a way of testing it. the IAC compensation for the fan turning on should still be functional, though it looks like those values aren't in the XDF... if you want to add them in yourself, then location 650 is the delay timer, units are in .1 of a second. 61E appears to be the IAC offset when the fan comes on, units in steps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Have been double checking and trying different settings for a couple hours and I cannot get the fan to operate without setting the fan flag. Then get the engine hesitation.
    I checked to see if the fan was triggering on the lumina fan 1 and 2 pins. Those are pin A9 that is diagnostic test terminal on the S-10 and A3 that controls EGR on S-10. EGR pin A3 grounds with key on and A9 is the 5 volts.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for all of your efforts.

Super Moderator
    hmm.... i may attempt to use this on my testbench then.... it's setup for 7727, but the code should execute more or less identically as if it were in it's native ECM.

also, i'm not so certain you can compare 7165 pins with 7727 pins... there's not a lot common between the two, especially connectors.

EDIT: crap.... the final return jump went to the wrong location(was supposed to go to EC3C, i goofed and entered EC3D)... try this BIN, if it doesn't work, it's going on the bench.

Fuel Injected!
    I will give it a try.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    and i want to hear GOOD news this time!

Fuel Injected!
    No good news

Super Moderator
    okay, been playing with it on the bench for a while.... for some reason, i cannot get it to give me an ALDL stream... load up an A1 BIN and the A1 ADX talks with it just fine, but with the TBI BIN loaded, it won't talk back at all...

i was hoping to get it to stream, but i guess not. maybe the fact that it's in a 7727 derivative as opposed to a 7165 is why?

anyways, i have my BIN switcher setup and when i have the lumina bit enabled, the fan(and SES) is actually always on regardless of where i have coolant dialed in to.... might be going into limp-mode? when in S10 mode, the fan never comes on, SES stays off until i provoke it.

the injection scheme between the two is actually quite noticable on LEDs, the lumina mode seems to fire twice as often?

anyways, seeing how lumina mode seems to put the ECM into a limp-mode of sorts, i'm not 100% certain i'll be able to get this to work accurately on my bench. i may have to dig around more and see if something isn't disabling the output when in S10 mode...

Fuel Injected!
    I did notice a change in the idle quality on the latest bin. It had an occasional idle stumble like when the electric fan engages. This is most likely not related to your changes. I was just looking for any type of clues to help. I would hate to go to other than ECM fan control. I would rather change to a different ECM and BIN before doing that.

Super Moderator
    okay, try this one....

this one works perfectly on my bench in S10 mode with the fan...

oddly enough, when i moved the fan MPH settings around, it seems like those settings aren't coolant temp dependant... even when not "overheating", the fans stayed on below whatever MPH and disabled themselves above the other.... kind of like a clutch fan?

anyways, i want good news this time.

Fuel Injected!
    Well.... Um... Hmm. No fan and hesitation is back. Tried MPH settings at 70 off - 68 on 0 MPH on 0 MPH off.
    When I set the flag I need to adjust MPHs to 0 to get fan operation. Maybe I should step back and think what could be wrong on my end.
    Robert did you get an email I sent?

Fuel Injected!
    I am using a MEMCAL from an older S-10 calibration ASWY in the Moats memory adapter. Those engines used a pole piece and Hall effect in the distributor that required an offset. Any possibility that can cause strange problems?

Super Moderator
    got an email a couple of days ago. that what you're referring to?

with it on my bench, i had the flag off, both MPH thresholds set to 0 and the fan on/off around 90*C on, 80*C off. when the temp rose high enough, they came on, went under, turned off. no idea about hesitation since it's a bench.

perhaps the difference between a 7727 and 7165 is what's causing it to work for me, but not for you?

older MEMCAL should be fine, i doubt much changed on the hardware end. the ignition setup stuff shouldn't be an issue either, not for this.