Thread: New computer, got questions

New computer, got questions

So I have finally stepped into the 20th century and bought a brand new computer. Its a ASUS CM1745-05. It has windows 8. Still getting used to that. Quite a drastic change from XP that I have been using for the past 10-11 years. Some things I am not too fond of, lot of the stuff is hard to find and hidden, lots of crap you don't need, lots of things that used to be simple are now hard to do. Funny how making something better means making it more user unfriendly. I do on the other hand enjoy the speed. Holy crap its like you have been climbing a molasses/glue covered hill for the past several years and suddenly you are on a greased slide...lol. Websites load uber fast, videos will actually play like they are supposed to, etc... OK, so here is the issue I am having. When on this site, typing a reply or making a thread, I can not hit enter to go to a new line. wtf? I come to the point I need to start a new paragraph and hit enter, but nothing happens. Doesn't matter what I do. I really don't understand what would be causing it other than some type of computer/windows 8 problem with the web software? So now I simply have to make everything 1 long paragraph. Now, on another forum (jeepforum) I do not have the problem of hitting enter, it works fine on that site. However the little blinking line (or whatever its called) showing where you are typing will not move if you press the arrow keys or try to click into a word to correct a spelling mistake. You can click in a word, but then have to hit a letter or space bar to know where you are. This is really odd. But on IFSJA forums, everything works fine. Email also works fine. So I am thinking on these two sites, it must be some type of problem between the web software and windows 8? Anyone have a clue?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I have only tried... I do mean tried to use Windows 8 on a computer at the store. I hope it's easier or I'm keeping Windows 7 forever! It reminded me of when I tried... I do mean tried to use a Mac...

The forum software here is newer then the IFSJA forums. Not sure why Windows 8 would have issues. Make sure you have updates! With a new operating system there will be many. Check every day!

Here's one thing you can do in your settings:

Message Editor Interface:
    • Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
    • Basic Editor - A simple text box
    • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls
    When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

What browser are you using?

If you're suing Windows Exploder, download Chrome, and try it.

The ONLY thing, and I mean as literally as it can get that I use Internet Exploder for is to download Chrome when I do a fresh install of Win7.

The only reason I do not completely remove I.E. from my PCs is there are at times certain sites or functions of sites that require the use of I.E.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

That was it mark!

I changed it to standard and I can now hit enter again!

Thanks! I would have never known that option was there.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I've heard nothing but bad about windows 8... I'll be sticking with 7 for the foreseeable future
    -Frank

1987 GMC Suburban K2500 400SBC, TH400 Trans, 3.73 Gears
    1995 GMC Suburban K2500 454BBC, 4L80E Trans, 3.73 Gears

Well I am kinda stuck with it for now. I suppose its not so bad. I am very slowly getting used to it. Still some of the stuff I wish I could change. Its definately different. I went straight from XP to this, I never used vista or 7, so I really cant compare it. We still use XP on our computers at work...lol

Iirc there is a skin to make it act like 7, which is much closer to xp
    -Frank

1987 GMC Suburban K2500 400SBC, TH400 Trans, 3.73 Gears
    1995 GMC Suburban K2500 454BBC, 4L80E Trans, 3.73 Gears

try a software program called CLASSIC SHELL 3.63. look it up. i used windows 8 for a while when i loaded it on my windows 7 laptop. tweaked it as much as i could. but didnt like some of the things it presented. even went to 6 gigs ram and it would have its little querks. i use TWEAKHOUND for most of my tweaks to windows. look up CLASSIC SHELL.

have you tried running internet explorer in compatibility mode, or using google chrome?
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

I'm getting along with it pretty good now. Its working fine for what I use it for (95-99% internet browsing)
    I changed the interface like mark said and it fixed the problem I was having with posting replies. The problem with jeepforum seems to have fixed itself.