Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1228708 ECM $8B for TBI?

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    $6B is a unique mask that will work with either the 7749 or the 8707 and might be a better beginning point. Cals made in $6B might turn out to be portable to other V8 ecms.
    I could not find $6B?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/def/xdf/

dave w

Super Moderator
    alldata:

41 - no 1X signal present, Alternating Synchronous double-fire is disabled, simultaneous synchronous double-fire is used. so instead of firing 2/3 and 1/4 in pairs once per revolution, they are all fired at the same time once per revolution. with 2 injector TBI, that means instead of firing each injector 180* away from each other once per revolution, they are both fired at the same time once per revolution.

code 43 can only be set in two condition, either the knock filter indicating knock for 3.67 out of 3.9 seconds or the A/D being out of the 1.25 to 3.75 volts range for 5 seconds or more. should be able to tie a 3900 ohm resistor from the knock sensor pin to ground and that will be fixed(on the bench anyways).

65 is set when the ECM is monitoring the peak/hold operation and the injector drivers never hit the 4 amp peak required to switch over into hold mode. has to be happening for 20 seconds or more. depending on how you're loading the drivers, i can definitely see this happening.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

I have a 4K (measure 3.96K) resistor in the test harness. I'm using noid lights not the injectors. The noid lights appear to be flashing on simultaneously, not alternating.

I'll double check I'm wired correctly for the knock sensor. I'll try testing with the injectors plugged in.

I'm not sure I can do anything about code 41.

dave w

Super Moderator
    unless you run a half-speed EST reference, not really much that can be done about that. even then, i'm not sure if the code is expecting the 1X reference to happen near an EST reference or halfway between or if it even cares.

noid lights might explain the injector DTC. being flashed simultaneously due to the 1X DTC is also expected.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The $8B .adx could use some "BLING" for both the dash and history tables. I could ship the 1228708 TBI test setup your way if you want to do some research before going to the salvage yard? Maybe someone would want to Guinea Pig the 1228708 TBI system on an engine?

dave w
    All I have here is a test bench, probably not much different from yours. I also do not have any vehicle to test it on, so sending anything to me would not do any good.
    I think mark would be a good choice for ADX work, he is 1000 times better at that than me.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Once he decides on a mask ID and ALDL.ds file I will work on it for him.

Just run injectors! I ran a set for hours dry and then had them serviced and stuck in a vehicle and they were fine...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    unless you run a half-speed EST reference, not really much that can be done about that. even then, i'm not sure if the code is expecting the 1X reference to happen near an EST reference or halfway between or if it even cares.

noid lights might explain the injector DTC. being flashed simultaneously due to the 1X DTC is also expected.
    I connected the injectors, still got a code 65. Interestingly, I could hear the injectors clicking then after about 30 seconds the injectors quit clicking. I slowed the RPM's from about 4500 to about 1000 or so and the injectors started clicking again.

I had the Knock Sensor in A10 not A11, so no more code 43.

I got a new code 35, don't know what that is?

I think the code 26 is related to coolant level. I don't have anything wired to simulate coolant level.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I connected the injectors, still got a code 65. Interestingly, I could hear the injectors clicking then after about 30 seconds the injectors quit clicking. I slowed the RPM's from about 4500 to about 1000 or so and the injectors started clicking again.
    dave w
    Sounds like they went static? Wide open! Do you have a vacuum pump on MAP? Increasing MAP could reduce fuel...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    35 = IAC. probably weren't close enough to the desired idle RPM within the time period it allows with other sensors indicating idle, so the IAC DTC got set.

using an 89 grand am for reference(not sure if that would be 8B or not or if the calibrations might be make/model specific:

quad driver B controls shift light/TCC, CCP and A/C relay
    quad driver A controls cooling fan and SES light

When you figure out a bin to start with Dave! We will ask Robert what ALDL.ds file to use! We have an $8B.adx already started...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    the early quad4 datastreams should all be really close to identical...

neat fact: apparently mode 10 on the early quad4 stuff went into what would normally be a secondary mode 1 request(second data stream) instead of being a "clear codes" command.

I have to temporarily store the 1228708 TBI system (could be weeks or more). In the meantime, I'll need to figure out / decide on a definition file that does not need a 1x input. Maybe there is a way to configure the 1228708 to used like the 1227727 uses TBI, but with the two injector drivers available in the 1228708?

dave w

Super Moderator
    so both injectors firing at the same time?

if you disable the 1X DTC, i would expect that to happen once it doesn't detect the signal.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    so both injectors firing at the same time?

if you disable the 1X DTC, i would expect that to happen once it doesn't detect the signal.
    As I remember, yes both noid lights were flashing on / off together, not alternating. I did not disable DTC 41 (1X error) during my testing.

dave w

Administrator
    The Q4 ignition module delivers a separate signal, 1X, to the ecm. Q4 uses a variation of DIS known as IDI (Integrated Direct Ignition) and IIRC is the only one using this signal. It's one pulse per crank revolution and it's used to time injector firing. 1X is delivered 125 degrees before cyls 2 and 3 reaching TDC, or about 55 degrees after crankshaft notch #5 passes the crank sensor. The code sets after seeing (8) 2X pulses from the crank sensor without a corresponding 1X pulse from the ICM. Without the 1X pulse the ecm will use Simultaneous Synchronous Double Fire mode and trigger all injectors at once.

Shutting off code 41 is a simple bit flip in software. But enabling Alternating Double Fire mode so injector pulsing alternates requires a code modification. The modification may not be difficult. Since you're operating a TBI system you don't have to worry about correlating injector pulses with a specific cylinder or crank position.