Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBD1 Scanning/Datalogging.. '94 TBI, 5-speed manual.

Electronic Ignition!

OBD1 Scanning/Datalogging.. '94 TBI, 5-speed manual.

First post here as I have just registered. I really don't know what to say to introduce myself so I'll tell you about the truck.
    It is a 1994 GMC Sierra 4x4 Pickup. With the 5.0L TBI & NV3500 5-speed transmission.

I've got WINALDL, TTSDatamaster, TunerProRT and EFILive.. all free versions of course but I haven't been able to find enough info about any of these programs regarding my truck to be able to do any sort of scanning or datalogging! I've been told numerous different things leading me numerous different ways. Eventually I stumbled across this place.. and it looked as if you guys may be able to point me in the right direction.

This is the most accurate info regarding my truck I could find.. Hopefully it helps you guys help me.

Year Make Model Body Application:
    93 - 95 C & K Truck, Van, 5.0L & 5.7L, Manual Trans.

ECM/PCM Number:
    BCC: BDUJ

Stock Prom

Mask ID
    $9A

TunerPro XDF
    $9A.xdf

ALDL.ads
    a179.ads?

ALDL
    a179.ds?

Hope you guys can help get me going on this datalogging journey of mine, haha! Thanks again.
    Last edited by 94Sierra4x4; 12-20-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Have you checked the service number on the ecm thats in your truck? Pull the glove box and get the exact service number and BCC (4 letter code) off your stock ecm and post it up.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Have you checked the service number on the ecm thats in your truck? Pull the glove box and get the exact service number and BCC (4 letter code) off your stock ecm and post it up.
    Service No. 16196396 BDUJ.
    *86BDUJKD32990011*

16188845 BDUJ.

That's a real rarity. I'll attach TunerPro RT files for it. But they are pretty stock, just not that much call for those. For data only you may be better with DataMaster if it covers that?

If you want to get into tuning it? It's an old C3 ECM, like some others it may have same plugs as a 1227747 which has way more support for tuning.

What are you trying to do?

EDIT: Added ADX with dashboards.
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

You mentioned the software you have acquired, but what do you have for hardware?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That's a real rarity. I'll attach TunerPro RT files for it. But they are pretty stock, just not that much call for those. For data only you may be better with DataMaster if it covers that?

If you want to get into tuning it? It's an old C3 ECM, like some others it may have same plugs as a 1227747 which has way more support for tuning.

What are you trying to do?
    Thank you sir! I'll try these in the morning. And the rarity would explain my difficulty in finding the right stuff.
    Really I'd like to get into tuning in the future, for now I want to datalog, check codes, save recordings for somebody else to see what the engine is doing.. and slowly learn myself of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    You mentioned the software you have acquired, but what do you have for hardware?
    I'm using an OBD1 12-pin ALDL cable to USB. If that's what you mean? Sorry.
    Last edited by 94Sierra4x4; 12-20-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Your set to get started with a good plan.

Did you read the TunerPro Tutorial?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...is-a-must-read!-)

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Your set to get started with a good plan.

Did you read the TunerPro Tutorial?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...is-a-must-read!-)
    Thank you, that is what I like to hear! and I'm reading it a 4th time! I read it 3 times before registering, lol. It is a lot of information to wrap my brain around, but I'm slowly getting there.

Well there is a slight learning curve. May as well start by having a folder with originals and a set of duplicates to fall back on because you can change your bin, adx and xdf the way you want. You can also mess them up...
    So, create copies of .adx, .xdf, and .bin? The only thing I am unsure of right now is the .bin? It comes from the trucks computer, right? So it will load itself into TunerPro when it is hooked up truck>laptop?
    I guess the only thing left is to get everything connected out in the truck and see what happens.

I appreciate all your guys work in getting this solved & up n running for me, thank you!

No, the bin needs to be loaded to Tuner Pro, just like the ADX and XDF, manually.

The best way to get the bin from your PCM is to use a programmer and read the EPROM directly. There is a way on some GM OBD1 ECM/PCMs to pull the bin through the ALDL port, but the ADX needs to be set-up to use that command. I haven't done it personally, but have read about it. I find it easy to pull the MEMCAL/PROM and use a programmer, personally.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

On these you need to have equiptment to read the chip out of the ECM, then adjust in TunerPro and burn a new chip. OBDII is done through the ALDL port. Very few OBDI are flashed through ALDL port.

We have tons of files saved and may have yours?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/

The XDF and ADX usually people don't change so backups are not critical. I work on them and save with version numbers so I can fall back and see where I made a mistake. The bin is something you constantly change so a backup or remmebering to save each change as a different name/version number is more important.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    No, the bin needs to be loaded to Tuner Pro, just like the ADX and XDF, manually.

The best way to get the bin from your PCM is to use a programmer and read the EPROM directly. There is a way on some GM OBD1 ECM/PCMs to pull the bin through the ALDL port, but the ADX needs to be set-up to use that command. I haven't done it personally, but have read about it. I find it easy to pull the MEMCAL/PROM and use a programmer, personally.
    This has gone over my head.. is it going to be necessary for me to get a programmer to pull the bin? Will it be to my advantage? Or is pulling the bin req'd only once?

On these you need to have equiptment to read the chip out of the ECM, then adjust in TunerPro and burn a new chip. OBDII is done through the ALDL port. Very few OBDI are flashed through ALDL port.

We have tons of files saved and may have yours?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/

The XDF and ADX usually people don't change so backups are not critical. I work on them and save with version numbers so I can fall back and see where I made a mistake. The bin is something you constantly change so a backup or remmebering to save each change as a different name/version number is more important.
    Okay, thanks i'll have a look through that directory, hopefully its there. Thank you both!

Edit: Remembered I went through that directory yesterday, was unable to find

BDUJ.bin, also searched for 16196396 and didn't find anything.
    Last edited by 94Sierra4x4; 12-20-2012 at 09:06 PM.

If you want to make sure you have an accurate file of your bin, then yes, it would be a good idea to get a programmer, you can also make changes and program them to an EPROM as well then. ;)

Your other option is to use a file from the repository, that matches your broadcast code. Chances are, it's accurate and proper, so even if you use it for the time being just to see what things look like,it would be a good place to start.

If all you want to do is just datalog, you don't need to load a bin or XDF, just an ADX is necessary to datalog.

Electronic Ignition!
    If you want to make sure you have an accurate file of your bin, then yes, it would be a good idea to get a programmer, you can also make changes and program them to an EPROM as well then. ;)

Your other option is to use a file from the repository, that matches your broadcast code. Chances are, it's accurate and proper, so even if you use it for the time being just to see what things look like,it would be a good place to start.

If all you want to do is just datalog, you don't need to load a bin or XDF, just an ADX is necessary to datalog.
    All i want to do for now is datalog and view live info, yes. Does TunerProRT have a virtual dashboard?
    So just the ADX is necessary eh.. alright :X
    I do suppose I did not make myself that clear, I was asking for more info than I actually needed but I'm glad I did! Because I've learned a lot more about the entire subject.
    I feel as if I've taken myself and you guys as well on some wild goose chase -.-
    Getting closer to that goose anyway.

Edit: Sorry, and what would my broadcast code be? Feel like I am asking stupid question after stupid question here :\
    Last edited by 94Sierra4x4; 12-20-2012 at 09:25 PM.

BCC or BroadCast Code is the identifier of the bin, you have it already BDUJ. But we might not have that file? That's why you need a chip reader/burner.

If BCC is not in the TunerPro tutorial I will add it. No reason to be sorry, we all have to learn and sometimes it just takes a little more explanation.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    BCC or BroadCast Code is the identifier of the bin, you have it already BDUJ. But we might not have that file? That's why you need a chip reader/burner.

If BCC is not in the TunerPro tutorial I will add it. No reason to be sorry, we all have to learn and sometimes it just takes a little more explanation.
    Aah BCC, BroadCast Code.. doh! So I'll need the chip reader/burner to aquire the BDUJ.bin from my ECU - in turn I can make changes to the bin with TP RT, correct?
    The chip reader/burner is something i'll have to purchase as well, right?

If that is the case, datalogging will be my mainstay UNTIL I find myself confident enough in the software to attempt making changes.
    If the reader/burner is downloadable I may play around with it sooner.