Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: $42 hack and hiway lean cruise patch

$42 hack and hiway lean cruise patch

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the $42 hack, but reading the hiway lean cruise thread got me thinking about $0d and lean cruise. I know there isn't a patch for $0d, but I thought if I understood the $42 patch, maybe I could come up with something like it. That's where I ran into my first problem. The $42 hacks I have and the Hiway Lean cruise hack don't match. That is to say, that the address in the HLC hac is in the middle of a section of code for some of my $42 hacks. The HLC asm file has an org at $DB04 for a starting address, and my $42 asm files have either code there (ARJU is one) or the hack is way past the end of the source code addressing. I am not sure where to apply the patch. I hope to come to a better understanding of the $42 code from this exercise as well as how the HLC code works. Thanks
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Lean Cruise was in $42 from factory and turned off. I'll attach a bin stock and one with the patch so you can see what is happening and maybe figure out why locations are off? I used ASDX as it's in the hacs.

There's only 48 byte changed with the patch so it's easy to find with difference tool in TunerPro. The XDF has the HiWya Lean Cruise paremeters so you'll know exactly where they are.

But since $0D didn't have it... that I know of it would have to be built. There is a Paremeter in $0D I read that says it could be used for LC, but never got into it. Was just a trick and not actual LC.
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Thanks Mark. I usually look at the assembly code directly instead of the bin files, but I may be able to figure it out with the difference tool. I unzipped my $42 folder and it contains an ASDX hack with the source code, so that should help a lot.

Edit: A light just came on.... I think it was the train... The ASDX_HAC source I have is only the parameter tables, not code. back to the drawing board

Edit #2: I have an ASDZ_HAC that has the code in it. It matches the ASDX.BIN at the point of the HLC patch. I now will build a source code file with the HLC patch and then I can start to dig into it. Hooorah!!!!!
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 12-14-2012 at 10:20 AM.

I figured with the Hiway ASM, stock bin and patched bin you could figure out what was happeneing.

Look through all those files in the zip, some are differant as to what they contain. I know one has the code after paremeters. HTH! I sure can't...

-= =-

I now have a ASDX_HAC.src that I will assemble and compare to the bin file to verify the code section. When they match, I will add in the hiway patch, and you can add the files to the $42 list. I might as well do the esc_done patch as well. It might take a while though, I have to edit about 9,000 lines for it to assemble.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 12-14-2012 at 11:02 AM.

That bin I gave you has the Lean Cruise only patch on it. Not the ESC Done patch. FYI...

-= =-

Yeah, I figured that out, but now that I have figured out how this goes together, I will just make 3 files. The editing out the 7 spaces at the beginning of each line to make the assembler happy is the hard part.

The more I tried to learn dissasembly/assembly the more I realized... I didn't want to learn! But for a guy who actually knows this stuff it would be fun to apply the talent.

I'm sure it can be done. There's another LC patch in 0288 or 0299 that RBob did years ago. But I never fixed it to run in Windows command prompt. Still don't know why it will only run in DOS? There' also one vehicle that left factory with it still on... 8746? Firbird or Caprice, I forget.

But there are a lot more Lean Cruise patches available in OBDII software, so it can still be done! Just a check box to click is nice!

Do you know how to make, or in this case fix a s19 patch? The s19 patches are there and work in this program, but if you try and use them through TunerPro option to apply s19 patch it does not work. From what I read it is a problem with checksum of each line?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rom-S19-record

I think this is how the OBDII tuning software works, TunerCat has seperate files for each LC to apply, EFI Live you have to add the CAX files to software directory and they show up in the mask with check mark and paremeters (all blank), In Austrilla Lean Cruise is on in some Holdens.

We talked about just making a paremeter like the $42 HACKS, but at 48 bytes the patch would be simpilar if it worked.

Not that any of it is needed enough for me to ask your help, just wanted to give you some background to think about while your researching for the $0D patch.

-= =-

Super Moderator
    perhaps it's just me, but this really would not take much time at all to impliment....

the $42 setup has the ESC done test with it and it's still only 48 bytes.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

It's 7 byte change with ESC done and 48 for just the lean cruise, 55 byte total for both. They are 2 seperate patches.

-= =-

Mark, just to make sure I have this correct, the $42 bin is 4K with an starting offset of $D000 when you burn a chip correct. This HACK is really messed up, I tried to assemble it and got thousands of errors. OH well, if it was easy, somebody would already have it out there. This is why everyone just patches the binary.

Your asking the wrong guy! But I'd have to say no, 000000 is where I start and it shows in TunerPro Hex. Also have used those hacks for many things and it's always correct. End of address is correct in both but beginings are differant? This is where guys like you and Robert come into play!

-= =-

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    It's 7 byte change with ESC done and 48 for just the lean cruise, 55 byte total for both. They are 2 seperate patches.
    still basically nothing on the grand scale of things. with a ask that didn't already have it intentionally written it, it will be slightly larger, but still not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Mark, just to make sure I have this correct, the $42 bin is 4K with an starting offset of $D000 when you burn a chip correct. This HACK is really messed up, I tried to assemble it and got thousands of errors. OH well, if it was easy, somebody would already have it out there. This is why everyone just patches the binary.
    i have actually never used an assembler..... i disassemble a LOT of stuff, but no assembler, i do everything in hex/assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Your asking the wrong guy! But I'd have to say no, 000000 is where I start and it shows in TunerPro Hex. Also have used those hacks for many things and it's always correct. End of address is correct in both but beginings are differant? This is where guys like you and Robert come into play!
    somebody post a target BIN(preferably one that already has a hack done of it) and the way they want it to work and an XDF to include the patch into and i'll see what i can pound out. working with a P4/P6 is so much easier than a C3.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

All the C3 $42 stuff we are talking about is just for referal and lean cruise is done. He's working on implementing it to P4 $0D.

Here's a zip of the files you asked for.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

What I am trying to do here first is to get a source code file that will assemble to the bin correctly. That is to say, when I assemble the ASDX.asm file, and get an ASDX.bin file I can compare it to a known ASDX.bin for accuracy. What I am finding is that the addressing is all over the place. This Hack actually is something like a 12K bin file, I know that can't be right.