Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS Speedometer for laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by phonedawgz View Post
    You guys are making it way too hard.

Set your cruise to 60.

Watch for the mile marker. Note the second that you pass it. Next mile marker note the second again. Do it for several miles if you really want to be accurate.

If you are hitting the same second every time you pass the next mile marker, you are going 60.

If you are dropping seconds, then you are going faster than 60. One MPH for every second that you are dropping. So if you are at 58 seconds a mile consistently, you were travelling 62.

And if you are adding seconds, again one mile slow for every second you add.

---
    Take it for 10 miles and see how accurate you are. Of course divide the total number of seconds added or dropped by 10. Your accuracy then is about 1/10 of a MPH, which my guess is more accurate than you can visually read most speedos, and also more accurate than you can set your cruise.
    That's all fine and dandy if you can actually be on an open stretch of highway, where no one is cutting you off, or traveling random speeds etc.

GPS speedometer is great for verifying other speedometers.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I thought about that but have no need for a smart phone
    For the longest time I thought the exact same way. I had no use for a smart phone, heck, I had no use for a cell phone period. But I ended up getting a better deal on a smart phone with data (aka, internet) for less a month than what I was paying for my house phone. After having one for a year or so now, I can hardly go without it. Having a phone, camera, video recorder, and internet with me all the time, is quite handy. You see something while out and about, you can take a quick pic and show it to friends. Your at the junkyard and find a ecm in something with the engine already gone, you can look up the bcc and see what it was. Being able to google stuff almost anywhere you are ends up being super handy. You can be in a store, find something you think is a good deal, google it to make sure, and find out its not such a great deal. There are some really usefull apps too. I have one called unit converter lite, it will convert almost anything, temperature, measurements, distance, decimels to fractions, etc, stuff you never even knew you would want or need to convert...lol
    They are really not as bad as you think. I have a older phone, a samsung fascinate and really like it. I also have verizon as the carrier.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

But the only time I leave the house is to tune a car! I have all those things at home and a cell phone just in case when I leave...

I did order the old 2010 Streets and Trips with USB GPS for $25.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    so i am going 60 mph average 54 seconds for each mile marker, 64-65 mile mph ?

+1 on what jeeps an guns said.
    Ive Done away with the landline an just use a smart phone..Now
    I wanted to check my speedo a while. Back an got a free app
    On my iphone called awesome hud .seems to be 100. % acurate
    At A steady speed .but there is some lag under acceleration

Same here, I tried one of those free apps, and at steady speed it was fine, but same with you, there was some lag. I ended up deleteing it because I have a regular gps, aka a tom tom. It will tell me the speed I am going, (most times) the speed limit on the road I am on, and the exact direction I am going in degrees. from 0* N all the way around to 359* NW. Pretty nifty, all while giving you directions if you dont know where your going. I use mine when doing deliveries for work.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    that stop watch method is pretty acurate,i checked my speedometer that way last weekend it showed that i was going faster than the speedometer showed 4-5 mph, my daughter has a garmin gps it showed 5 mph to. recalebrated the swith in the speedometer head now it and the old ometer is right on with the gps.it should gain 10 miles in 120 miles if i figured the oldometer right, better mpg.the speed limit on interstate 45 is 75 ,2 weeks ago i was data logging got up to 78 for a while which was acully 83 and there was still some people passing me they must of been going 95-100 as fast as they went by.

Administrator
    I've used the stopwatch with a cop. He asks "Do you know how fast you were going?" I held up the stopwatch and said "Well, I know how long it took to get here so if you'll give me a second I'll do the math." He knew the math too as they used to use the timer method to get speeders. So we got into a discussion about required speed measuring devices, and "regular" people owning radar guns, and vehicle manufacturers artificially bumping speedometer readings, and gray areas in the law books. At the end, he said "just keep it under 52 seconds. I don't want to have this discussion this in front of a judge." Fine by me!

Fuel Injected!
    i have been speeding with this old truck for 8 years ,got stoped once on the highway so i stayed about 5mph under the speed limit. in town 45 mph speed limit that is what i run which was really 50 mph,i kindof wondered why the city police allways looked at my old truck funny, proble 1 more mph and they would have give me a ticket.

I have the opposaite problem in my YJ. It reads about 3-4 MPH too fast. So I know when my speedo reads halfway between 70 and 75, I'm doing 70. Around town I just do what the spedo says, does good, as it keeps me out of trouble! Unless I'm not paying attention and go over...lol