Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Speedometer for laptop?

GPS Speedometer for laptop?

Any ideas for GPS speedometer from a laptop? I really have no need for a GPS other then verifying MPH.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    i've seen handheld units that plug in to a computer via USB/serial, i imagine a lot of those support MPH calculations.... not mich cheaper than a navigation unit though.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

I was really only intrested in MPH for setting PCM... but for $50-$60 you can get Streets and Trips 2013 with the USB GPS which will show speed on display. Pretty cool gadget! Loads of info...
    http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/

-= =-

If you have a so called "Smart Phone" you should be able to get a free GPS/Speedo setup on it. I have an Iphone and have "GPS Drive" on it. It works great. I am a cheapskate, so it was either free or VERY cheap.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Glad to see you here Jeff!

I thought about that but have no need for a smart phone or costs involved, I have a not so smart... cheap phone!

Found a 2010 MS Streets and Trips software with USB GPS on Amazon for $25. Think I'll get it as the USB GPS has a good review and that's about bottom dollar for a USB GPS by itself...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
    If you have a so called "Smart Phone" you should be able to get a free GPS/Speedo setup on it. I have an Iphone and have "GPS Drive" on it. It works great. I am a cheapskate, so it was either free or VERY cheap.

Jeff
    I do the same thing, I have a few different free GPS speedo apps that I've used.

Anything else I've come across wouldn't be what I would consider "cheap".
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Glad to see you here Jeff!
    Thank You.
    I have never tuned an OBD1 or earlier system. I am hoping for some OBD2 activity here. There seems to be a lot of very sharp people here.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Jeff
    Yep that's what I do. I use one called GPS Speedo, really simple, free and even has a HUD that'll display on the windshield. The HUD only works at night cause the screen isn't bright enough though.

There's some neat car related apps out there, got some that'll log lap times, read OBD2 codes/data and g meters.
    '88 Camaro 305tbi factory 5 speed car engine all stock except for Thrush(just like a flowmaster) muffler and open element air cleaner. LS1 brakes, wonder bar, Founders LCA/PHB & caster camber plates, Eibach springs, Hurst shifter, Ford 2 speed fan and 17's with 235's in front/275's out back. Running a 7427 $0d. rsmith085 over at TGO

Thank You.
    I have never tuned an OBD1 or earlier system. I am hoping for some OBD2 activity here. There seems to be a lot of very sharp people here.

Jeff
    Tuning is tuning so what you know goes backwards or forwards and there's always more to learn. Software is all differant. We just started to add the OBDII stuff. I'm about to do the 0411 swap to my Vortec truck (thank you for the effort you share with that conversion! ) Mine will have a slight twist as I'm using a Moates RoadRunner. With it I will be able to tune with RR/TunerCat OBDII, EFI Live and I think the new frontire will be using the files for TunerPro RT! TunerPro already works with the RoadRunner!
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...S1-PCM-Project

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroDude85 View Post
    Yep that's what I do. I use one called GPS Speedo, really simple, free and even has a HUD that'll display on the windshield. The HUD only works at night cause the screen isn't bright enough though.

There's some neat car related apps out there, got some that'll log lap times, read OBD2 codes/data and g meters.
    There's a really cool app for an iPhone using the Innovate OT-2 wireless, can even wire in a LC-1 WB and it's wireless to the phone and wireless to laptop. I have the OT-2 but it sucks with just LogWorks, only one channel, no PIDS?. It was supposed to work with ScanXL Pro but there is a glitch somewhere on Innovates side? Data log in iPhone and eMail it to youself... I just don't need an expensive phone! For what they cost I could buy another laptop? Still end up needing a laptop so it's a cool toy, sometimes just because technoligy can doesn't mean you should...
    http://www.ot-2.com/

-= =-

Administrator
    Stopwatch.

Pass mile marker = "go." At one full mile = "stop." 3600 / recorded time = speed in MPH. Also quick and easy method to check if speedo is close. Set at 60 and drive through mile with stopwatch. There's a 10 second window on either side. If you travel a mile in 50 secs that's 70 mph. If you cross a mile in 70 seconds you're only doing 50. Most phones come with a stopwatch.

Yeah but that's Old Skool for carbs and points! Won't work with EFI...

Well I'll be, my phone has a stop watch. But can't run and app...

Brick.jpg

-= =-

Administrator
    So you can get the time but there's no way to get the math done?? If the windows are foggy you can do it by hand on the passenger glass!

I was just being funny... got a big kick out of the old school way, it's amazing the simple things we forget (stop watch, time and mile markers vs computers and GPS)

How accurate is MPH on GPS? I'm really splitting hairs at this point and don't think ther's an issue, just want a procedure like GPS MPH to verify tire. wheel and gear changes done to bins through software. So far I'm down to 1%. But looking at MPH on laptop to verify would be simple compared to times, miles and math. No biggy...

-= =-

Administrator
    I was just being funny... got a big kick out of the old school way, it's amazing the simple things we forget (stop watch, time and mile markers vs computers and GPS)
    Me too. The idea of doing long division on the fog inside your window just to figure out the speedo seems funny, especially after using technology (the phone) to get the time in the first place. It's the visual that makes me laugh the most.

Non- military GPS data is accurate to within 25.59 feet at best. But there are multiple satellite and ground based augmentation systems which can be used to narrow position even further down to millimeters in some cases. DOT, FAA, and NASA all have some type of GPS system or supplement which may be used by a GPS unit to determine location. So ultimately the accuracy will depend on what's available where you are for supplemental data and what your gps unit uses if anything to narrow your location. If you can get within 26 feet of your actual location and you're crossing distances over 5,000 feet your speed information will be more accurate than most speedometers.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 12-11-2012 at 08:19 AM.

You guys are making it way too hard.

Set your cruise to 60.

Watch for the mile marker. Note the second that you pass it. Next mile marker note the second again. Do it for several miles if you really want to be accurate.

If you are hitting the same second every time you pass the next mile marker, you are going 60.

If you are dropping seconds, then you are going faster than 60. One MPH for every second that you are dropping. So if you are at 58 seconds a mile consistently, you were travelling 62.

And if you are adding seconds, again one mile slow for every second you add.

---
    Take it for 10 miles and see how accurate you are. Of course divide the total number of seconds added or dropped by 10. Your accuracy then is about 1/10 of a MPH, which my guess is more accurate than you can visually read most speedos, and also more accurate than you can set your cruise.
    Last edited by phonedawgz; 12-13-2012 at 12:05 AM.