Thread: Wanted: Spread Bore Vortec Intake

Fuel Injected!

Wanted: Spread Bore Vortec Intake

Lemme know if one of you guys has an intake laying around you'd like to get rid of. I need a dual plane spread bore to replace my single plane...
    95 ecsb vortec 357 10.44:1 scr LT4 hot cam single plane TBI 7427 $0D

What kind of intake do you have now ? I might have a squarebore vortec intake I'd consider trading.
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm running a no name square bore single plane. It's a good intake, but the engine is a cold blooded SOB with that intake in the winter.

Edit: this is the one I'm running at the moment...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=33486258731
    Last edited by 907 Chevy; 11-29-2012 at 05:41 AM.

That's the kind of single plane I figured it was as I have yet to find a less aggressive single plane for the vortec heads like a edelbrock torker II or a weiand excelerator. My only question is does that intake offer any usable torque in the lower rpm range ? I see you're running an LT4 hot cam so I know your engine will still be pretty snappy with an intake like that. I'm not so sure about a stock cammed vortec though. Anyhow, I've got an edelbrock performer rpm on my car right now that I would consider trading. It's not an air gap so it actually has a coolant passage cast under the plenum area that can be plumbed externally. I was actually going to go ahead and plumb coolant through it because I am having the same cold weather issues as you. I'm mainly interested in a single plane because I could install the bungs and convert it over to a multi point setup for way cheaper than any aftermarket multi port intake. If you're interested in trading let me know. My only concern at the moment would be the height of the intake because with the performer rpm and tbi adapter I'm already hitting the hood with the air cleaner. I really need to do something about the hood anyway though so that isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Just let me know if you're interested or not. The p/n for the intake is an edelbrock 7116 if you wanna look it up.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.

Fuel Injected!
    The engine seemed to have a lot of low end grunt, but then again, I'm comparing it to the old tbi engine it replaced lol. That's a nice intake you have, but unfortunately I need one with a spreadbore mounting flange, not square bore. I'm installing a big block throttle body with the stock spread bore adapter underneath it...

Not to butt in, but I wouldnt let a tbi adapter plate turn off a good deal. Holley makes a adapter plate for the 454 tbi to a square bore intake for only $50. I ran one on my engine untill I swapped to mpfi. If I remember correctly, the part number is 17-45. Might want to double check.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    True enough. I actually already have a square bore 454 adapter and just bought the stock spreadbore adapter plate so I could plumb coolant to it, but if that intake has a coolant passage under the plenum then I suppose it does the same thing.

Fuel Injected!
    Hey pmkls1, this intake is TALL (probably around 3" taller than ypur current intake im guessing). Like I said cold weather driveability sucks, but if you're going to convert to mpfi then that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know how well a stock L31 cam would work with this intake either, the engine may like a longer duration cam with it. I'm down to swap intakes if you are though

Quote Originally Posted by 907 Chevy View Post
    Hey pmkls1, this intake is TALL (probably around 3" taller than ypur current intake im guessing). Like I said cold weather driveability sucks, but if you're going to convert to mpfi then that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know how well a stock L31 cam would work with this intake either, the engine may like a longer duration cam with it. I'm down to swap intakes if you are though
    remember a stock vortec intake is a long runner single plane.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Fuel Injected!
    That's true, I hadn't thought about that.

Just because of the absence of the exhaust crossover on the vortec heads even the performer rpm intake like mine can cause some cold weather headaches without plumbing hot water to the underside of the plenum. I'm assuming that edelbrock figured that out pretty quick and that is why they put the coolant passage there. The edelbrock 7116 is identical to the high rise dual plane sold out of the gm performance parts catalog. Edelbrock makes them for GM and puts the bowtie logo on there for them.

I am actually running the holley adapter mentioned above (pn 17-45) with a holley tbi unit that has the big 454 throttle bores. For some reason the throttle bores were a little misaligned in relation to the bolt pattern so there was a little material on the adapter that I had to remove that was hanging out under the backside of the throttle bores. I'm actually in the middle of reworking the adapter and about to replace the lifters so I'm literally just about to pull the intake off anyway. I took tons of before and after pics and was gonna put them up in a thread showing the huge difference after spending several hours of blending on the adapter. I won't be swapping to multi port right away but the intake was one of the most costly and difficult factors for me to work out. I don't drive the car everyday at the moment so I could live with the driveability and hole in the hood for a while anyway. I also have plans for replacing this used engine with a decent built unit soon. I already have the next engine on the stand and actually have a LT4 hot cam I was going to run in it. If you seriously wanna swap intakes then pm me and we can work out shipping and whatnot.

Fuel Injected!
    Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by pmkls1 View Post

I am actually running the holley adapter mentioned above (pn 17-45) with a holley tbi unit that has the big 454 throttle bores. For some reason the throttle bores were a little misaligned in relation to the bolt pattern so there was a little material on the adapter that I had to remove that was hanging out under the backside of the throttle bores.
    I am running the same adapter and TB. I noticed the same thing and had to remove some (alot) material also. the reason is the adapter is really intended to be used with the holley projection system TB.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.

Quote Originally Posted by PJG1173 View Post
    I am running the same adapter and TB. I noticed the same thing and had to remove some (alot) material also. the reason is the adapter is really intended to be used with the holley projection system TB.
    I kind of thought that might be the reason. I just didn't understand why they would go to all the trouble of shifting the bolt pattern just a little when they were pretty much just putting together a universal diy package based on the GM design. I'm pretty pleased with the appearance of the adapter after spending several hours smoothing and blending the underside of the adapter. I just hope that it's worth the time that I put into it. If not, it was just more time spent practicing with metal working. That's the reason I took so many pictures is just about anything regarding the work on the adapter can be applied to doing port and blending work on cylinder heads. I'll put everything together and start a thread on it as soon as I have the time.

I'm going to have my TB ported soon so I'm going to have the machine shop do the base while they are at it and save my self some time when I get it back.