Thread: getting started with tunerpro and aldl cable for dummies.

Wink getting started with tunerpro and aldl cable for dummies.

ok nice title!! seriously though. i have used hp tuners before. power up, plug in, load and go. all i want to be able to do log info. got an aldl cable from a member on thirdgen.org. its a 12 pin from aldl cables for OBD1.i did not recieve the cd with the cable from the member. i think i have downloaded the right drivers but the laptop does not ever see the cable only if i plug it in. have downloaded tunerpro, efilive, was wanting to try tunerpro. i am also using windows 8 on one laptop and i have another with windows 7. i can use either.i have noticed that no xdf file found.

1992 chevy camaro rs 305cid tbi. 1228746 ecm.

That's a $61 bin I think. here is XDF Stuff and bins http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-61
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!

Unhappy

The XDF and ADX can be found in post #3 of this thread
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-61

I'm not sure what to tell you about the computer not seeing the cable. Is it a Moates cable?

Windows 8!!! I didn't even know there was a windows 8.

EDIT***** right in the middle of me typing my reply my wife came in asking a bunch of questions, by the time I completed and posted I was a little late. Sorry for posting basically the same answer again.
    Last edited by Dewayne_S; 11-21-2012 at 06:00 AM.

ok. so do i need to download and install the xdf and adf files into tunerpro for it to work on my car just for datalogging?

Fuel Injected!
    You will need the ADX file downloaded to TunerPro to datalog. Then the com port must be set in tunerpro as well but the first step is to get the computer to see the cable.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

this is where i went and downloaded the windows driver.

getting started with tunerpro and aldl cable for dummies.
    If we get this down pat I'm going to make this a sticky!

Windows 8 is running TunerPro without issue so far. But if you could just try on Windows 7. I don't know Windows 8 and we are dealing with Control Panel and Device Manager.

I just cut this from a thread last couple days and it works! So try it and let us know.

Plug your cable into laptop, no need for vehicle, and go to Control Panel, Device Manager, find the com port and check driver. Should be:
    Driver FTDI
    Date 4/10/2012
    Version 2.8.24.0

Do the same for the USB Serial Converter.

*LAST RESORT BUT NOT DANGEROUS!*
    Or uninstall all USB in device manager and restart, let it install what's on laptop, then first thing to plug in is cable and make sure the above drivers are installed.
    *End last resort for drivers*

Open TunerPro RT and go to Tools, Preferences, Data Acquisisition/Emulation, Choose Use Plug in, configure plug in and make sure it is on the correct Comm port, Test for Valid Interface using settings... with cable plugged in.

So with cable plugged in you found it in device manager as Com port 3, drivers are correct, TunerPro is set to Comm 3 and tests good? Don't worry it does not test good connected to vehicle.

With TunerPro open right click on tool bar at top and check them all, these icons are easier to learn then all the others under like Acqusistion, Tools etc...

Connect cable to vehicle, vehicle running, TunerPro running and Acqusition Start/Stop Data scan or click on the 2 arrows icon up top, also click on the folder icon or Acqusistion Show Data Lists and data should show... this is how I do it and then click record, when you stop recording it will prompt you to save the file with a name.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

ok started playing with it this morning. while searching around on how to get the dashboard working i found this post on ls1tech. perty darn good walkthrough and a night dash file to boot.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-mo...-tutorial.html

ok i have tried everything to try and get it to work. tomorrow i am going to try it on my windows 7 laptop.