Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TBI Chips .com help! i need a drivable truck soon

Your consistent.

But I wouldn't know how to adjust anything with consistently bad data logs? Wern't you instructed how to data log? I could take half of it to good use but there's still a big half missing?

I'm really sorry for the trouble you have gone through, it's not your fault.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

he just told me to drive around some and then get on it. if it was having an issue try and get it to do it.

what should i be doing?

Half your log was not warmed up, so unless you were trying to find a cold run condition after a starter chip it's worthless. Or strip out half and use it.

Data master just does not have the tools to find AE issues. Again this was realized here again when we compared Datamaster log to TunerPro log, both show BLM in history as in ball park. Again, AE issues are hard to do not hands on without wide band O2 sensor data. Hands on at least you can feel how it's responding to get close and even then to dial it in perfect takes a wide band. Only the tuner would know at that point because drivabilty issues from AE were tuned out.

No idle time so no idle work?

BLM learn was not cleared before another chip installed so BLM numbers are again worthless. If you had not cleared BLM learn data at each chip change then again it's worthless. Unless you had driven several times, over several start ups for 20-30 minutes each, would take a week to correct so BLM data was a good tool to adjust with, but it seems you put in a chip and are consistent with your log route, I've watched them change from high to low and low to high so I'm not totally guessing.

You've been chasing an AE issue and have said AE was increased which made it worse, this makes no sense on your motor build. Let me ask you, was your fuel pressure accounted for in first chip? Second or third chip? There's no way to tell in logs if it was accounted for. From your logs we know spark advance was untouched and stock in first chip , maybe 2 until we found it here, then it changed, hard to remember all that has happened. But fuel pressure and spark table would need to be done on first starter chip to get accurate data logs for re-adjustment. Or it's just pot luck?

I don't like what I am about to say... but... I'm done helping a paid for tuner find his problems so he can fix customers tunes! This is a regular topic here, and other forums, has been for years, not isolated. We do this because we like it, money is not the issue. But using us while he makes money is just as wrong as taking your money... would you like to see a $150 chip with seven insignificant changes and EGR turned off wrong? Ten minutes work is $1200 an hour and it's still not done right.

-= =-

ok I will let the truck warm up longer.

what would you recommend for a wbo2? should i get one?

will put more idle time in.

would that be cleared by unhooking the battery for a longer amount of time?

i would assume as Brian had told me set it to a 18psi when he sent me the first chip.

i have no problem paying you. i am done with Brian and have told many others to stay away from him on there builds.

and also from brian i started to get the that "he dont know what he is talking about i will just tell him what he wants to hear".

so i dont know if what he was telling me he did with the ae was actually what he did

I really don't want to start bashing anyone! We never have and I hope never will. Hope my statements weren't taken as a bash. Just kind of fed up... everything I said was backed up with proof and accurate as to what's going wrong and how to do it differently or my way, which works for me! He's been around a long time and should have this down pat, but guys like you keep popping up, looking into how and why I figured it out.

I'm not looking for work. My advice here is given to help people learn how to tune, I've learned most from what others have shared and then putting in 1000s of hours of my own. My advice for those not wanting to learn or don't have the time is have someone do it hands on. I've learned a lot by data logs to do this remotely but still advise to get it done hands on. There's so much that can go wrong by mail, first is the tuner is no longer the tech, can the person on other end do what is instructed to diagnose, even then it can take time to fix or not be fixed at all? I've had guys show up and found what was wrong in ten minutes and it's something I had them check! In person I can knock these out quick and I have fun doing it!

I see another issue, you said he wanted 18 PSI fuel pressure, your first post says you have 16? We've had a lot of threads showing fuel pressure gauges to be way off as well. This is one of those things I can't fix by mail? And your 19!!! My son is 19, all his frends are 19 or older and none are old enough to have patience yet! Although you have shown a lot of patience and drive to get your built motor truck running.

-= =-

i am not thinking you will have the magic one chip and its done thinking. i compleatly understand that it will take multiple trys and i have no problem with that.

if i had some one around me that could do it i wiold but the only guy that could do it sold all his obd1 stuff. so he told me i i bought all the equipment for him he would do it and i would have to find a dyno that would let him tune it.

i may only be 19 but i grew up in a shop full of hot rods a wicked street cars. i know my way around a car pretty well. and if i dont i have 2 genarations above me to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat400 View Post
    i am not thinking you will have the magic one chip and its done thinking. i compleatly understand that it will take multiple trys and i have no problem with that.
    It's not magic chip, it's the 1000s of hours into learning how to burn a magic chip, but there are several ECM/PCM and engine combos I can do first shot. I'd never promise it though...

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat400 View Post
    i may only be 19 but i grew up in a shop full of hot rods a wicked street cars. i know my way around a car pretty well. and if i dont i have 2 genarations above me to ask.
    I figured there was some influence behind you! My kid has been working on stuff with me since, well forever. He got more intrested in tube bending, fabicating and welding and can show me up now.

-= =-

I missed a fatal flaw in your setup! This should have been one of the first things done before a chip tune.

Unless the specs here are wrong?
    http://www.chevroletperformance.com/...9712&engCat=sb

So that's about 350 HP, you have 61lb injectors at 18 psi which will support about 254HP, so you short 100HP worth of fuel!

-= =-

it is not a zz4. the zz4 has different heads and higher compression.

mine is a 350 vortec with a zz4 cam.

this is the base motor before the cam so i am probably just nudging 320hp
    http://www.chevroletperformance.com/...P&sku=12499529

With 61lb injectors that's about 28psi fuel pressure!

or a more realistic approach is

80lb injectors at 16psi...

-= =-

that would be big block 7.4 injectors right?

Yes, or 74lb injectors at 17psi.

-= =-

this is the log from today with the 74ib injestors at 16psi.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'll give my feedback. Starting backwards from end of your log at idle.
    Here's what I told you on page 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    If I had only 50 MAP at idle and 10 to 15 degrees timing? I'd have more timing at idle and usually higher MAP. Do you have idle issues?
    You now have 22.3 degrees timing with idle adjusted and guess what? Map is down to 36 MAP. Where it should be on this engine.

Bad news, and this is really the only bad news I have. Idle BLM are way to rich, going by your old logs where it idled and where it idles now is 2 different areas so I was off there, was also off on how I set up BLM learn tables, I gave way to much room for idle and now you don't need it, what does that mean? Idle and off idle BLM are sharing same cells except for designated idle cell, same with some off idle cells. To you it means nothing, to me it means I have to strip out data to adjust correct cells.

The rest of log BLM were in ballpark.

I'd have never have found any of this with your old logs because of this!
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...LMs-every-time!

Your WOT AFR, going by the O2 sensor reading (which is all we have and not as accurate as a Wide Band O2 sensor) is just a little lean. Not bad. But guess what? Now that you have correct injectors there's plenty of fuel and room for adjustment.

There was only one spot of small knock in your WOT run, and I'm not convinced it's not false, but if it's real a little more fuel there and that should be gone. BTW this is with 7 degrees less timing then you had! All the knock settings in the chip and memcal you had were completely different then your stock BJYL memcal your truck came with so you may not have been getting correct knock counts or retard.

I see a couple spots that may need some AE Acceleration Enrichment? I added 100% to TPS AE (short term) and only 50% to MAP AE (long term), it looks like long term AE is needed and that would be the MAP AE. Are you getting some non responsive throttle, like bog, not crisp? Data looks lean here, this is hard to dial in sometimes as it can feel the same as rich, but data would go the other way.

Is transmission working properly now that you have a 1995 chip in your 1995 truck/transmission? The 1994 chip you had is for a different trans as TCC changed to PWM, completely different calibration in chip between the 2 years.

You should also be using the stock memcal that came with your truck along with the G1 adapter and chip.

How bout some driver feedback?

-= =-