Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1228747 C.A.T.S. vs TunerPro difference in ECM Mask / *.xdf file??????

You still have not calculated BPW either? Is your BPW still 134?

What is your fuel pressure?

Cubic inch bore and stroke?

Size of injectors?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    The TBI: 1989 1228747 GM computer, Big Block Throttle Body, bored out as big as it can get, Big Block #5235231 fuel injectors, and around 28 psi fuel pressure at the moment, 355 ci 11.8 to 1 cr. BPW is what now?

Look at this calculator and you can determine BPW (Base Pulse Width) it is the starting point of all fueling.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

The $4F BLM history table was off so I fixed it.

Also added the ESC test paremeters. Looks like 3200 RPM is limit so the test happens under that, maybe lower to 800 so it never happens, also the test1 and 2 spark advance are there, set them to 0 and also knock count to pass test to 0... all theory untill proven!
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Administrator
    ESC test requires a few other parameters to run, and if doesn't run, results are same as run + fail. Test has to run. Look for values used when spark is added and reduce them to zero or one. Also, it's been a really long time but there are other codes that can't be present for esc test to occur. Maybe no ECT or TPS codes??? Bob Rauscher posted other requirements years ago.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, so I set all as you stated above, man, you are the MAN! thank you so much! I'm at work so I'll have to re-burn my chip when i get home tonight. I'll let you know how that goes. Again, thank you so so much!

Fuel Injected!
    Oh one other question, how do you define the COMM PORT for TunerProRT? I can use the same dongle as I did for winALDL, or do i have to get something else to make that work? I tried hooking this up over lunch to get some logs recorded but she didn't recognize the ECM when I plugged the laptop in. (sorry very new to all this)

Since we go through this all the time I made a sticky!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...to-TunerPro-RT

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Ok so did as you suggested: "lower to 800 so it never happens, also the test1 and 2 spark advance are there, set them to 0 and also knock count to pass test to 0... " when I got home, burned the chip, plugged it in, and had to go out, so I didn't get a chance to do a set of logs with TunerPro RT yet (did get it to work, thanks for the sticky!!!). However I can say as I drove the caddy, that seemed (just from seat of the pants feel) to smooth it out some. I'll know more tomorrow and keep y'all posted. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP!!!
    Last edited by 51caddyman; 02-07-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quick update here, First off got TunerPro connected and working loging, for about 3 mins or so then it sends my laptop into blue screen of death mode. It's done it all 6 times I tried, works great, logs show data in the tables, then BAM, death(will try re-istalling and check all the drivers, and I'm running Win7). Also, yesterday after work (still on base tune with ESC test "defeated" as suggested) warming the caddy back up in the parking lot at work to go home, she backfired 4 times. Then on the ride home felt underpowered, stumble-y and backfired again. I had only 2.8 gals left in the tank, so to be on the safe side i flashed the tune back to my baseline with ESC on (no change) and then filled her up with shell super. She got better within 5 mins, so I'm guessing there was some bad gas. I'm going to hit her with seafoam and put a new fuel filter in, just to be safe. If it doesn't go back to normal, I'll just drain the tank, thankfully the factory tank has a drain plug(got to love a 50's caddy,why every car doesn't have a bung & plug in the tank is beyond me).

Can't help with the blue screen, never had those issues. One guy recently had TP freeze quite often and changed USB ports and it went away. Must have been a bad/old/wore out USB port. Make sure you have all updates and drivers.

The fuel thing I've run into to often with old converted cars. Old tanks get crusy to begin with. Vented tanks and old fuel, worse if it's had any ethanol/E10 and it only lasts a few months and old tanks are vented so they get moisture which starts phase seperation of E fuel... water ends up on bottom of tank. I sat an old vehicle with drain plug at lowest point overnight, drained a half gallon of fuel into a glass jar, let it sit 30 minutes and could see the puddle of water in bottom. Fuel will start to look milky as well.

Do you run an external pump? I run a clear filter pre-pump and it will also show puddles or phase seperation goo. Then pump and a high pressure EFI filter after.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I tried switching USB ports, same story, alas, but I'll try my wife's laptop after I re-install all the usb drivers to be safe, this one is my work laptop so it could be my one of my "protection" settings causing issues with the program too. Luckily this tank (that I swapped in) is pristine, but the cap is vented so i'm sure there could be some moisture in there (and being a unbaffled, sumpless tank, I rarely let her get below the last 1/3, as i can lose all fuel to the pump if I turn too hard or go upill/accelerate too much). I'll do the sit and quick drain trick tomorrow too, good call. Yes I've got a external 255L/H walbro so that sounds like a good idea as well with the pre-filter. Once I recover from these minor setbacks and get an W/B O2 sensor hooked in I'll keep you all looped in on the progress. I also found a analog gauged W/B O2 setup from AEM yesterday, so that might be an option for me, seeing digital output on my dash is something I'm trying to avoid (or I could just use it to tune and unplug the gauge after as well... We'll see which way I go (next payday... )
    Last edited by 51caddyman; 02-08-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Just a quick update, the tank is now cleaned and water free, I created my own fuel cap that seals (as I could not get one off the shelf that would work) so no more water/sand in the fuel tank :). Also, updated all the spark components that were still hold overs from the 89 2500 p/u. New coil, cap, rotor and wires, and also re-re-re-torqued the headers... She's back to normal again... I also ordered and received my AEM wideband AFR gauge and O2 sensor. However, the snow came at the same time, so now I'm stuck waiting for the meltdown to get that installed. More updates to come once I'm reading wideband.

Fuel Injected!
    How is the tank venting now?
    Old systems had the vent for a reason,so the pressure wouldn't build up.
    Newer cars with sealed systems have a purge valve and fuel tank pressure sensor to release this build up into the manifold while still keeping it a sealed system.
    Have you taken this into account and installed the evap side of the injection?

Sounds like a great project,can't wait to get started on my '48 chrysler.

Fuel Injected!
    The plan is this weekend to create a vent line and a beather tube, while I'm also working on getting the getting the wideband in, as sunday will get up to 57* outside they are saying... There is a small crack in system above where the return tube feeds into the fill tube, so there is still some sort of vent for now (no pressure when I open the tank, so i'm safe, but not a loose cap that lets the water from my wheels splash up into my tank).

1948 chrysler... NICE. Those have lines like the 1946's caddy's do (love it), what's you plan for the motor?
    Last edited by 51caddyman; 02-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.