Thread: The LS1 411 PCM thread

The LS1 411 PCM thread

Thought I would start a thread with some questions on what it would take to use the 411 PCM from the LS Chevy engine series on an old engine?

What intrigued me was 2 O2 sensors for right and left bank. Seems a big improvement there.

Pretty sure I'll need a crank sensor. Timing from crank has got to be more accurate then at the end of a timing chain and cam.

Although I'm collecting coil on plug ignitions cause guys that can afford LS1 Camaros and such sell them for $20. each and replace them with MSD stuff at $700.ish... but could I use a distributor? If not I'm thinking it would be easy enough to cut off a distributor and bolt it in the hole so the oil pump still drives! (Good thinking ey!) Or if the LS needs 2 sensors one could be crank and I could make the distributor one as well?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Re: The LS1 411 PCM thread

Found this link in the one you posted from TGO. Very interesting...
    http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=80

Does the Ls1 411 need a crank and a cam sensor and how do they operate? Or what do they do? I'm not trying to do this on a Chevy but the IH engine we are rebuilding for the kids tow rig. It may become more $$ then I first thought which would put us back to batch fire.

Maybe Dave can answer? Is this the sensor your trying to replace with your CAD and waterjet cut gear?

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark
    Found this link in the one you posted from TGO. Very interesting...
    http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does the Ls1 411 need a crank and a cam sensor and how do they operate? Or what do they do? I'm not trying to do this on a Chevy but the IH engine we are rebuilding for the kids tow rig. It may become more $$ then I first thought which would put us back to batch fire.

Maybe Dave can answer? Is this the sensor your trying to replace with your CAD and waterjet cut gear?
    Yes, this is the trigger wheel I am replacing. I'm using the same Vortec sensor. The Vortec trigger wheel is low resolution 4 teeth. The LS per coil trigger wheel is 24 teeth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad to see your getting closer and have newer pics!

So I am guessing the four tooth works a distributor and a 24 tooth works coil on plug application?

-= =-

Super Moderator

4 teeth would perfectly imitate a dizzy on a 8 cylinder motor, since every two revolutions(one 4 stroke cycle) would be 8 pulses.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar
    4 teeth would perfectly imitate a dizzy on a 8 cylinder motor, since every two revolutions(one 4 stroke cycle) would be 8 pulses.
    To bench test the '0411, I made an 8 tooth crank trigger wheel that I could "Sync" with the cam position sensor in the distributor.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images