Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '87 Camaro manual 5.7 -- bin to use?

'87 Camaro manual 5.7 -- bin to use?

Turns out I'm working with a $32B calibration not a $6E as posted in another thread. At any rate, I'm looking for a stock .bin file that will get me started in a '87 Camaro manual with a 5.7L. Didn't find one in the bin thread. Could I start with an '87 Corvette 6-speed calibration and go from there? Or can I take an '87 F-body auto bin and modify accordingly to run on a manual?

This vehicle has been running with a MEMCAL from a 5.0L...no wonder it runs like crap!

I ended up using the ABWN bin and just enabling the manual flag. Anything else need to be done?

Have you checked the ones here with BCC?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...%206E%2094/32/

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    What ECM are you running? If it's the '7165 I think you should be able to change to 6E. If I remember correctly my car was 32b then I first got it but after reading about 6e I swapped to that.

EagleMark: I don't have the original MEMCAL, so I don't know what the stock BCC is... Dewayne_S: Yes, it's a 7165. That sounds like an interesting option. I've got it running with the ABWN calibration, but if I run into trouble while tuning, I'll take a look at the $6E calibration.

ABWW is an auto to start. Lots of differences from auto to manual. IAC logic, TCC and Park Neutral...

-= =-

What are the advantage of using a $6E cal over a $32B? And can you recommend a bin to use for a 5.7L 5-speed? All I'm seeing are autos, and a 5.0L 5-speed in the $6E bin listings.

OK, seems to work. I see the $6E calculates the BPW from the injector constant and MAF by default. Is this better than reading the values from the BPW table?

(Thanks to EagleMark to pointing me in the right direction): One possible answer to this question is here: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...32b-vs-6e.html
    Last edited by brianko; 11-12-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Oh, I thought it was auto. I don't have much experiance with that stuff, maybe someone can help? Thirdgen.org is a good place for that car!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    6e has a faster baud rate which is a lot better for data logging. Also some of the tables are better.
    I looked and do not see any factory bins for 5.7 5-speed F bodys but all you have to do is take a Y body bin and change a couple items and you should be good to go.

I think APYP is the most common used to start with,

You should disable vats to start with or the car may not start at all.
    The only other factor that I can think of off the top of my head is the setting for the fan. F-body cars need the box checked for "cooling fan n/o".

I'll give that a shot then. Was reading somewhere that GM did not make any manual 5.7 Camaros. Don't know whether that's true or not, but would explain not being able to find one...

Your right, 1987 5.7L never had a manual. Since your vehicle has a 5.0L Memcal and manual it's more likely an engine swap? Just use that bin and setup specifications.

Now on the other hand a lot of guys go out of their way to change ECM and run SD becuase the old MAF sensors suck compared to what your used to working with.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Now on the other hand a lot of guys go out of their way to change ECM and run SD becuase the old MAF sensors suck compared to what your used to working with.
    My MAF sucked as well, it wouldn't flow enough air for my engine.
    Then I made this and it flows just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by brianko View Post
    I'll give that a shot then. Was reading somewhere that GM did not make any manual 5.7 Camaros. Don't know whether that's true or not, but would explain not being able to find one...
    Yep all manual third gen f bodies were either a v6 or 5.0. My understanding is GM was concerned that the t-5 wouldn't handle the 5.7's torque. Why not take a 5.0 manual bin and swap over the spark and fuel tables from a 5.7?
    '88 Camaro 305tbi factory 5 speed car engine all stock except for Thrush(just like a flowmaster) muffler and open element air cleaner. LS1 brakes, wonder bar, Founders LCA/PHB & caster camber plates, Eibach springs, Hurst shifter, Ford 2 speed fan and 17's with 235's in front/275's out back. Running a 7427 $0d. rsmith085 over at TGO

So many choices! The 5.7 I'm working on has the Corvette aluminum heads, so I've been mulling over using an APYP bin. But the gear ratio is off...decisions decisions! I might try both ideas, see which one works better.

Administrator
    The Vette cals can be very different from F car. Vette is very light. "Performance" gear ratio in Y car is 3.08 which should tell you the timing's going to be advanced more than you need. Fan switches operate differently, A/C input is moved or different... a few "gotcha"s along the way.