Thread: Help! New to tunerpro.

Carb and Points!

Help! New to tunerpro.

My 89 IROC z is not running right, and rather than just change parts, I wanted to try to diagnose what the problem is. First off, there are no trouble codes. I have the program working but I have no idea what these numbers mean. So my question is, where can I find normal values.

Fuel Injected!
    If you have tunerpro and the correct cable the numbers you are seeing should be correct assuming are using the correct adx file for your application.

What ADX are you using? what kind of numbers are you seeing? We really need more information to be able to help

I think he means the data. Like TPS is either percent or volts, BLM etc... that's really hard to answer as they are all dynamic. So what is right for idle is not at WOT. IAC counts are all over the place... I don't know where to start?

If you record a log then you have something to watch over on dash boards and monitors so you can get an idea.

Idle RPM, hope you get this one.
    TPS at idle should be 0% or about .54 volts.
    IAC at idle around 30
    MAP kpa around 35 stock cam and 50 bigger cam.
    BLM of 128 is proper fueling, lower is rich taking away fuel, higher is lean and adding fuel.
    O2 sensor voltage will be all over the place when in closed loop.

Does that help? Ask away for anything more specific.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    being an 89, i would expect MAF and LV8 values to be present. those are somewhat fun to explain and will vary greatly depending on the application.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    I didn't think about it like that, the first thing I thought of was the time I had been datalogging a LT1 car and then when I got back in my 89 6E car I forgot to change the ADX back to 6e and got some really messed up numbers.

Either way, give us more detail about what you are seeing and we will do our best to point you in the right direction.

Carb and Points!

Adx

The ADX I am using is 1227165_6E.adx from the tunerpro website. I just got home from work today so I will try to upload my data sheet tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.

Carb and Points!

I have more info

I was able to get some data together. Im not sure what is on the xdl file, I could not open it on my computer. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    Here is some more data in Word.
    Last edited by ffshrek; 11-12-2012 at 06:50 AM.

That ADX from TunerPro must not have been corrected, you have a glitch in your data. I fixed it in this ADX, you'll have to record data again...

-= =-

Carb and Points!

New data

Thanks, that last adx was way better. Here is what I got this morning. Do you know what I need to download to open these xdl files on my computer? I can play them back in tunerpro.

Quote Originally Posted by ffshrek View Post
    Thanks, that last adx was way better. Here is what I got this morning. Do you know what I need to download to open these xdl files on my computer? I can play them back in tunerpro.
    XDL only works in Tuner Pro.

You can export them as a CSV file (Comma Separated Value), that is viewable in Excel.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!

Car still not running right.

I changed the O2 sensor this morning and again, no difference. This is what I have for values: I am using a $6e adx file, my O2 sensor is 147.8 (what is this, it cant be volts) my target afr is 14.92 ( what is it supposed to be), my blm is 121, as someone posted it is calling for more fuel, I have a MAP sensor value that is 1.55 at idle and does change but not very much in relationship to throttle position, but I have a MAF sensor, (cant have both,right?) If someone could please help and post a xdl file of a TPI camaro that is runnig good to compare my values to I would appreciate it very much. Thanks for your help! This xdl file is from this morning after installing an O2 sensor. Also the car seems to run the same in open and closed loop.

Super Moderator
    147.8 is mV.... when in closed loop, it should swing somewhat regularly from the ~200 range to the ~800 range.

target AFR os 14.92 seems kind of lean, but i'm not used to the MAF stuff either, especially the earlier units.

BLM of 121 isn't too bad, the ECM is actually pulling fuel(above 128 fuel is being added due to O2 correction).

i...... didn't think that the early MAF cars had both a MAF and MAP. looking at the wiring diagram, i'm not seeing one either, so i don't know what is going on there.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    I just pulled a couple of plugs and they were clean (they are new), I thought it was rich because it smells rich. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is 38-39 psi, what else would make it lean? I have checked several times for a vacuum leak, but cannot find one. The car was running great and just died on my wife one day, I have been messing with it since.

Your nose is a horrible AFR gauge, your data shows fine and well within boundries of correction so why do you think it's lean? It's not even warmed up by end of log.

When wife was driving and it dies did it restart? If restarted then it was the wife who stalled it!

It's an old car and could be anything like sticking EGR? What's really the issue?

-= =-