First post, here, I lurk a lot, and hang out on another forum with a member here.

Here is my situation, I just got an AMC 401 running in a J20 with a 4L80E tranny all controlled by a 16197427 PCM.
Finnaly got it all working and on a short test drive the engine sputtered, shifted into 2nd, and I lost my laptop reading the PCM, and the check engine light was flickering.
I had a 2nd PCM with me so I hooked it up, same issue, so I limped home, once there i discovered the MAP wire had melted to the EGR valve, I fixed that, and everything acts the same...

The CEL is not really a flashing, it is more like a flicker, like a bulb that is loose.
jumper for diagnostic mode, and CEL stays on solid then.
Neither my laptop, or code reader will see the PCM.
I checked everything I could think of, check for grounding out on all the connecters and between the pins and nothing showed a problem, I have a pin out that shows what each wire should have key on, and they are all good.

So any ideas? things to check? I am worried I fried both PCM (2 more on the way), the chips still read in my programmer, so they are ok, I did open up 1 PCM, no visual burns, but with a printed board I know you don't always see them.