Thread: RT tuning a 7165 $6E Camaro, sanity check please

RT tuning a 7165 $6E Camaro, sanity check please

Have not tried RT tuning yet, but I'm ready to jump in! Had a few questions first that I couldn't find on the forum:

1. TunerPro RT or TunerCatRT? Not trying to start a religious war here...TunerCat is what I have the most experience with, but not in a RT environment. I've used TunerPro a couple of times.

2. I have an ALDL cable from AKM, and am in the process of purchasing an Ostrich from Moates (already have all the other programming equipment). Anything else I'm going to need?

Thanks...

--Brian

I have not kept up to date with TunerCats RT. Best I can remember, only TunerPro RT is a complete package that does editing, data logging and real time emulation. Maybe the the latest versions of TunerCats RT will data log? I think to effectively tune, all three, editing, data logging and real time emulation are the tools of choice.

dave w

RT tuning with TunerPro RT is awesome! TP has data logger as well as bin editor. TC is just bin editor so you have to get data from somewhere, scantool is nothing compared to data in TP. DataMaster gets the job done, but TP data files are fully custimizable. The data in TP is also recordable for further review or export to spreadsheet file. Can also use this file later if you build a specific history table, monitors or dashboard. Combine or make values for data. Nothing is limited.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...es-in-TunerPro

TunerPro also has data tracing! So if you set up value in data/ADX file and parameter/XDF file, you can watch where data is in bin. Problem is ADX/data and XDF/bin files are all community made so a lot of these options are not completed. TP files are fully customizable on both bin/mask/XDF and data/ADX. Time consuming but can be dialed in beyond belief comparable EFI Live.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...unerPro-How-To

If you have an AutoProm you can also tie in external inputs into data stream like WideBand. You can also use ECM inputs like EGR or? If it is not used and change values in data/ADX file to get data in same file.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...up-in-TunerPro

$6E XDf and ADX files are well built. You'll find the bin editor in TP to be superior when working with tables using the graph or smoothing etc....

You may want to use both in transition, you'll find things in TC or TP that are not in the other, not all are named the same. But data for tuning is great with TP. After you get used to TP you'll find it a tool of choice.

All the other abilities of having both bin editor data acqusition and Real Time in same program is what sets it above TC. TP also has TDF editor, hex editor, 2d and 3d viewer, paremeter finder, difference tool, catagories, levels.... It has all the options that are extra in TC as seperate programs as well as all the options of DataMaster in one program that is wide open for editing each.

HTH!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Actually, hadn't thought about being able to pull wideband into the data stream -- when I'm on the dyno I end up having to compare the AFR plot off the dyno trace by RPM range, a rather tedious process when trying to compare to data logs and make adjustments. Will have to consider this now. I'll probably give TP a shot, thanks for the suggestions!

So can I do live datalogging with my existing ALDL setup and an Ostrich? Or is the AutoProm required to synceverything up (assuming I use TP)?

I've never had an Ostrich so I'm not sure how? I know guys data log and emulate... 2 cables? But still no extra AD inputs for wideband like AutoProm and only one usb cable with it.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I use TunerProRT and the Ostrich on my 89 Camaro.
    The Ostrich is NOT for datalogging, it is only a chip emulator. You can datalog and emulate at the same time in TunerProRt,

Also I have my WB hooked to the ECM for datalogging.
    For the '7165 you can hook the analog output from the WB to pin D8(I think) then download a program called AFRtuner (I'm sure it's on this site somewhere). In AFRtuner there is a wide band hack, you simply run your bin definition through the program and save it, your WB is now in the data stream. Next the ADX file will need to be changed to show the correct information.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Excellent, thanks!

Fuel Injected!
    I found the afrtuner download
    Attached Files Attached Files