Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: On my 4th Tbichips.com chip and still have issues? Help!!

A stage 2? Holy crap a stage 2? You got a stage 2 for $200? And for $70 more you get a custom stage 2? What are you waiting for? I mean everyone in the world knows a stage 2 is better then a stage 1 and almost as good as a stage 3! Then add custom on top of stage 2!

Has anyone told you about the stage 4? I'll PM you a PayPal address of a guy who has a Custom Tuned Stage 4, new never used for a project he didn't finish he's letting go of for $400. It's awesome!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

OK, here's the difference of a stock chip and a Stage 1.... drumroll......

The 0s are not changed, the numbers are how much difference there is. I can tell you you would not feel a thing, but because the PE Knock retard was also removed it could put out a couple more HP on a dyno... probably not from the added spark.

There's also an issue with some of the VE fueling table. There's added fuel as you can see, but if you add up VE1 and VE2 on a stock chip it's already over 100%... GM oops, and there's even more added with stage 1! So injectors was static before the Stage 1 improvments!

Now consider most TBI engines don't breath well enough to hit the 100 MAP column?

But guys well swear on the Bible that the HP gain was incredible, best $200 they ever spent? If they only knew...

Now you have had 4 adjustments and no improvements and your asking if you should spend more on custom? If you still answer yes then I have a deal for you. I'll let you in on the ground floor of my new invention!

Guaranteeded penis enlargement!
    magnifying_glass_by_hillllallll-d59skm5.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

My question is:

What is the difference between what is being done now and a "custom tune"?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    My question is:

I'm not sure to be honest? I don't know if he tunes it completely off of data log info with the custom, and is just taking my word of mouth feel of what's going in with it along with plug readings for what he's doing now.

Fuel Injected!
    Mark, what do you think my best move is at this point. I don't know enough to feel comfortable tuning it myself, and I also don't have the money to buy the moates and whatever else I need right now?

One option is to install a Moates.net memory adapter board with the original Memcal $35 plus shipping. ( http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adapter-tpi-etc.html ) Then install a ZIF Socket (optional) also available from Moates.net $7.00 plus shipping. ( http://www.moates.net/s4-aries-28-pi...ofile-zif.html ).

I could take a shot (or any tuner of your choice) at remote tuning your vehicle, by exchanging chips via USPS snail mail. You could flash the chips yourself (instead of waiting for the USPS letter carrier) using a Moates.net Burn 2 $85 ( http://www.moates.net/burn2-flash-n-...rogrammer.html ).

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    That option doesn't sound too bad Dave. What does the zif socket do? Also, if you did remote tuning what all would I need to buy? Does the burn 2 burn the chips after the remote tune is good? And one more, if I use the datapro software and buy the memory adapter, will that let me tune on the fly and while doing so doin have to leave my laptop in the truck until I burn a chip with the burn 2? Sorry for all the questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    My question is:

What Six is trying to tell you is what you are doing now is a custom tune!

What mail order tunes don't tell you is the first canned tune is your starter tune. It can be done off a stock chip... but if your any good at it you should have something better to start... ie canned tune. Record data and make adjustments. Data is key to making adjustments. That said there is no way to make it perfect in every way if you don't have your hands on it. Even when I'm done I can make the vehicle drive and feel so much better I really enjoy this hands on part!

For a true custom tune you finish off on a dyno for WOT! If you have calibrated enough fuel to start with, hard to understand WOT needs to be covered first or all your efforts were a waste if WOT needs more fuel pressure or injectors... I knew you were screwed long ago when you didin't know your fuel pressure!

Then if you got it all dialed in the vehicle should start and drive nice the next morning cold!

My advice is always use someone local hands on! That is not always possible so find a reputible tuner... but in mail order tuners this is like finding an honest politician (look at example of stage 1 above), there's a website with a hall of shame which exposes some tuners that forums swear are gods... one guy get's lucky or does not know any better and rants and raves and everyone jumps on board and recommends them.

That was the long answer. I told you what to do a few pages back.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post15737

The money you spent could have bought equiptment needed to make mail order tune easier. Read Daves post above. In the end you have stuff to learn to fine tune, or sell and recoup.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 1slos10 View Post
    That option doesn't sound too bad Dave. What does the zif socket do? Also, if you did remote tuning what all would I need to buy? Does the burn 2 burn the chips after the remote tune is good? And one more, if I use the datapro software and buy the memory adapter, will that let me tune on the fly and while doing so doin have to leave my laptop in the truck until I burn a chip with the burn 2? Sorry for all the questions!
    From Moates a Burn 2, a G2 adapter and a couple chips. Use TunerPro RT software, you already have a cable. Don't worry about tuning on fly (Real Time) it takes a long time to learn what to do... no laptop left in truck.
    http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adapter-tpi-etc.html
    http://www.moates.net/burn2-flash-n-...rogrammer.html

What this equiptment does is allow you to burn chip when emailed to you, you could have done 4-5 chips in one day, your on weeks right now...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Ok, I get what your saying. Like you said a long time ago, you did some and the owner thought they were great and you immediately knew something wasn't right after driving it. There's nobody ive found close to here that does obd1 tuning and chip burning that I have found. What I'm gonna do is wait for this last chip to come in and give it a day or so in the truck and see if its better. If not I'm going to see if he will just give me a refund, then I would like to see if you or Dave would like to take a stab at it. Just PM me a price and what you would need on my end to get going. I know I probably have a lot of dumb questions, but the only fuel injected stuff I've ever messed with was the FAST system and Power Commander. Never had to deal with bin files and excel spreadsheets and things like that before. So if you guys don't mind I would be thrilled to have either of you try the remote tuning, just shoot me a price and what you need and I'll do my best to make it happen. Thanks again to all of you guys who are giving me feedback on this, I learn a little bit everyday from all of you. Thanks again

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    From Moates a Burn 2, a G2 adapter and a couple chips. Use TunerPro RT software, you already have a cable. Don't worry about tuning on fly (Real Time) it takes a long time to learn what to do... no laptop left in truck.
    http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adapter-tpi-etc.html
    http://www.moates.net/burn2-flash-n-...rogrammer.html

What this equiptment does is allow you to burn chip when emailed to you, you could have done 4-5 chips in one day, your on weeks right now...
    Ok that makes sense now, thanks for clarifying that for me. I found a moates burn 2 and 10 chips on eBay for 115? Is that good? It's from xenecron tuning I think? Or should I buy direct from moates?

I just go straight to Moates. Xenecron is a reseller for Moates.

27FS512 SST chips? If you don't bend pins on chip you only need one, having a spare or 2 is good, don't know why you would need 10? When you put it back in Burn 2 it's just a mouse click to erase.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Is there a certain chip or anything specific tied to my memcal in my truck or ECM?

My method of tuning; is to process the data log with Microsoft Excel. I sort the data log into near idle and off idle data, which is a very accurate method of tuning the 93 ~ 95 GM Pickup PCM. I remove Open Loop, Acceleration Enrichment, and Power Enrichment data before executing the Excel Marco. I can't comment on the methods other tuner use to process the data log, there are many ways and methods to achieve a tune. The screen shots below show the overall Near Idle / Off Idle BLM averages I've "Tuned" for a remote customer. The 93 ~ 95 GM Pickup PCM is very forgiving when it learns / adjusts BLM, so a BLM average between 118 ~ 138 is acceptable. I'm not satisfied with "Just Acceptable" I tune for 126 ~ 130, which can be done with Microsoft Excel in the "Tool Box".

dave w

Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Dave, what would you need from me to tune this thing? Would I need to buy the moates burner and g1 adapter as well?i gotta get this thing running right soon! When I started it this morning cold even my little girl said my truck smelled like gas. Not to mention I'm going broke driving 75 miles a day getting 9 mpg!