Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: On my 4th Tbichips.com chip and still have issues? Help!!

Yes. Power Enrichment, PE. Will change AFR to lower then 14.7 to 1. and change spark advance as well.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Sure wish you lived closer to Tennessee!

Not me...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Lol, lots of potatoes up your way I bet

I've lived here 19 years and never seen a potato other then grocery store? Must be down south...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Must be a myth then kinda like we think we got Elvis in the ground in Memphis, but no one is quite sure!

Fuel Injected!
    Well, didn't get a chip today. Guess ill be calling Monday to see what the deal is. Can't believe this has turned in to such a pain in the A--!

Fuel Injected!
    Also my gas mileage has went from around 15 before the cam down to around 9mpg.

Nice!

It'll do better tuned, I mean your so rich your plugs are black... sniff your dipstick! I know you need an oil change but if it smells like gas it's worse...

While your waiting you should do a datalog with TunerPro, it'll be a good start to doing your own tune.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Is tuner pro free? If so what kinda runs do I need to make and should I do them on this chip that's in there from tbichips?

This is exactly why I don't do mail order tunes, AND why I do my own tuning.

Tuner Pro is fully functional, as a free download, however, there is a 10 second nag window, when you first start, unless you register it, at which point the nag window can be closed immediately upon program start. Mark works hard on the program, and is worth the very small donation of $39 USD.

The largest expense is the hardware to tune, you can get away with just buying a programmer at this point, since you have a datalogging cable, and some form of EPROM adapter in the ECM, to make use of non-stock EPROMs possible. A Moates.net BURN2 is a great choice and works directly with Tuner Pro RT, to automatically set chip offsets when programming a new bin to an EEPROM.

Better yet, would be getting an EEPROM emulator, such as the Moates.net Ostrich 2.0, which works in real time, and allows you to see the effect of changes while the engine is running.

You would use Tuner Pro, just like any other program, drive under the conditions you see issues with, log and modify the bin file accordingly.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the info. I may have to just drive this thing until after Christmas, and then try to tune it. I've already spent way more than I should have on this cam swap and don't want to short my kids at Christmas time. I'm gonna keep busy reading the forum and trying to learn as much as I can and maybe I'll have a little more knowledge by the time I get the money up to buy the moates and the other stuff I need.

From what I can find, the custom chip from TBI chips.com is $340, which if you do get a refund, you would have more than enough to buy both the Ostrich 2.0 AND the BURN2.

The BURN2 is $85, the Ostrich 2.0 is $175.

You can find programmers cheaper, but they don't interface directly with Tuner Pro, and requires knowing how to set offsets along with using an additional piece of software. I started with a Willems Dual Power Programmer (I wouldn't recommend that one, since it requires an LPT port to work, and many computers don't have those ports anymore, and laptops haven't used one for many, many years (Toshiba ToughBook being the only exception that I know of). It was more difficult to get a bin programmed to an EEPROM correctly, than using a BURN2 and Tuner Pro. Get a full USB communications programmer, if you look for something other than the BURN2, which is USB comms. I also have a Willems GQ-3X, that is full USB comms, but costs around the same as the BURN2, I only have that one (in addition to the BURN2), because I occasionally program other E/EPROMs than just what are used in the GM ECMs. Other (cheaper) programmers have been ht and miss from posts I read on many forums.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I only paid 200 for the one I got, he said it was a stage 2 for the cam I put in my truck. He said if this didn't work he would do a custom tune for 70 more dollars which I wouldn't mind paying, but I'm really starting to doubt his capability of getting it right. I honestly don't know what's the best move to make right now?

Quote Originally Posted by 1slos10 View Post
    I only paid 200 for the one I got, he said it was a stage 2 for the cam I put in my truck. He said if this didn't work he would do a custom tune for 70 more dollars which I wouldn't mind paying, but I'm really starting to doubt his capability of getting it right. I honestly don't know what's the best move to make right now?
    So what you really ended up with is a canned tune. That's too bad. I'm reworking a tune now on an '89 Blazer with a 383 that a certain Tennessee-based tuner couldn't get right, and they even sold him the TB to go with the tune!

My recommendation? Cut your losses now, request a refund (good luck with that), and let someone more reputable do it for you.

--Brian