Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: On my 4th Tbichips.com chip and still have issues? Help!!

Looks rich to me, based on the Histogram tables I've posted screen shots for. I'm not sure if the rich condition is near idle or open throttle, maybe both? I noticed a fault code 42 in log 2.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Yea in log 2 I guess the timing connector wasn't plugged all the way in? Top of the plug reads rich idle I think

There was thread a few months ago about being able to make corrections yourself with MS Access Spreadsheet. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ghlight=vecals

The VECALS 4 .zip is in the tread. Instructions are included in the .zip. The VECALS spreadsheet is designed to work with TunerPro RT. You will need to read the .bin file in your chip. VECALS will do all the "MATH" to correct the "RICH" settings in your current .bin. I'm not sure what TBI Chips is using to correct .bin files?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Does it make sense that the hesitation seems to appear after the truck sits and idles for a few minutes? When I picked up my daughter at daycare I let it idle while I went in and got her. Probably 3-4 minutes. When I left it did the hesitation in 1st gear, didn't do it all the way home, but did it then. Same thing when I picked up my son up, hesitation in 1st gear when I left. Could it be so rich it acts like a slug coming off idle up to around 30% and then it clears out and pulls hard?

Fuel Injected!
    I changed the plugs yesterday, and I just pulled number one, and the top ring is black, ground strap looks fine and electrode ceramic looks good too. This thing is getting way too much fuel at idle and down low like you said Dave.

If this is your forth chip and still that rich I'd be looking for vacuum or exhaust leaks amonst other things... what is your fuel pressure?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    It's got new header gaskets on it, and I've checked for vacuum leaks around the base of the tbi and around egr. If I had a vacuum leak wouldn't I be seeing hanging idle or issues on the stock chip too? For good measure and to be sure it's not one of the 2, I bought a Delco ignition module and a delco map sensor, just to be sure. Haven't installed them yet but they should be here this week. Also have no clue on fuel pressure?
    Last edited by 1slos10; 10-30-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    If this is your forth chip and still that rich I'd be looking for vacuum or exhaust leaks amonst other things... what is your fuel pressure?
    This is the 4th one, but he just briefly looked at datamaster files after chip 2. The first 2 I guess we're past files that he used for a similar setup? For a custom tune he said it would be 70 more bucks, which I don't mind paying him but maybe the details I gave him today will help chip 5? Fingers crossed

I just wonder what the Histogram from the stock chip looks like? I'm guessing it would look very different? I'm thinking if there is a faulty part, then the stock chip would have a similar looking Histogram like the TBI Chip?

dave w

For some reason, this conversation has me thinking back to a thread on another forum regarding 2 ignition modules for TBI, pertaining specifically to spark latency settings matching what is in the ecm.

Pretty sure all the 94 5.7L Spark Latency are same in mask. Modules are same too if ordered for same. There's a latency issue with some early TBI truck and cars, but thats only a few degrees, many more degrees from aftermarket. (Large cap HEI is again totally differant.) We don't even know which one he has. One of his symptoms sounds like a faulty EST and he ordered a GM. But I don't think that's the overall issue?

There's also a code 42 (EST) that needs to be cleared and see if it returns. It also sets when disconnecting bypass wire for timing.

There is something weird about stock chip to aftermarket though? Won't know unless we could read them? Still pig rich if a fairly new plug has black on ring? I'd have all the plugs pulled by now... checked fuel pressure.... vacuum reading.... data log.... have someone with a strong heart check spark plugs wires and coil for arcs...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

could the possibility of having headers be the issue? I know on mine the headers made my NBo2 voltages way off from stock causing blm's to read wrong compared to my WB02. add that then a cam that has a little more valve overlap than stock. This was one of the first things I banged my head against when I started tuning. I only realized what was happening when I installed the WB02
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Quote Originally Posted by PJG1173 View Post
    could the possibility of having headers be the issue? I know on mine the headers made my NBo2 voltages way off from stock causing blm's to read wrong compared to my WB02. add that then a cam that has a little more valve overlap than stock. This was one of the first things I banged my head against when I started tuning. I only realized what was happening when I installed the WB02
    I'm thinking with shorty headers, provided the single wire O2 sensor is still located near the stock exhaust manifold location, is not going to have an effect on overall rich / lean data. I have shorty headers on my 93 K1500, and have not seen any issues with the single wire O2 sensor I'm using. The shorty headers I'm using have the O2 sensor in same locaion as the original stock exhaust manifold did.

Long tube headers using a single wire O2 sensor can be a real problem!

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Long tube headers using a single wire O2 sensor can be a real problem!

dave w
    should have specified long tubes. even messed with the readings on my 3 wire.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,