Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: On my 4th Tbichips.com chip and still have issues? Help!!

Fuel Injected!

On my 4th Tbichips.com chip and still have issues? Help!!

Here's the rundown on my truck and situation. I have a 94' Fullsize Blazer w/TBI 350/4l60e. I put a Comp XE249 cam, lifters, pushrods, and timing set, tbi spacer, shorty headers, K&N cold air intake, accel 8mm wires, shaved throttle bore ridge and on my 4th stage 2 chip from tbichips. I understand a mail order chip needs to be tweaked, but I don't think the 4th one I'm on is any better than the 1st. I'm not in anyway bashing him or his products, because he's been super cool and sends me a different one when one doesn't work. Here's the problem. Taking off from a dead stop and gradually applying throttle and manually shifting it, it starts to miss or hesitate around 30% throttle, and around 2500 rpm. It also feels flat from idle up to around that point and then starts pulling all of a sudden. With the factory chip there is no hesitation, but it tries to die when coming to a stop. The stock chip also doesnt make near the power the stage 2 does. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm honestly about to go insane switching memcals every 3 days. Thanks for your input, it will be greatly appreciated.

I would send TBI Chips a data log, I think TBI Chips prefers Data Master TTS? http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataM...ownloads2.html

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I sent him 4 data logs after I got the 2nd chip. He sent the 3rd chip and it was worse than the previous 2 he sent. I got #4 today and its not much better than the first 2 chips. It smells really rich at idle, so I'm not sure if its rich all the way up to the hesitation point or what. Literally going crazy trying to get this thing straightened out as its my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slos10 View Post
    Here's the rundown on my truck and situation. I have a 94' Fullsize Blazer w/TBI 350/4l60e. I put a Comp XE249 cam, lifters, pushrods, and timing set, tbi spacer, shorty headers, K&N cold air intake, accel 8mm wires, shaved throttle bore ridge and on my 4th stage 2 chip from tbichips. I understand a mail order chip needs to be tweaked, but I don't think the 4th one I'm on is any better than the 1st. I'm not in anyway bashing him or his products, because he's been super cool and sends me a different one when one doesn't work. Here's the problem. Taking off from a dead stop and gradually applying throttle and manually shifting it, it starts to miss or hesitate around 30% throttle, and around 2500 rpm. It also feels flat from idle up to around that point and then starts pulling all of a sudden. With the factory chip there is no hesitation, but it tries to die when coming to a stop. The stock chip also doesnt make near the power the stage 2 does. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm honestly about to go insane switching memcals every 3 days. Thanks for your input, it will be greatly appreciated.
    Hang around here long enough and learn how to do it yourself. TBI chips is what forced me to learn how to tune years ago. I was doing the same thing you are.

-1999 Hugger Orange SS, LS2 402 T56, 9 inch Ford 3.90 gears, Tuned with HP Tuners
    -2002 Cavalier, Tuned with HP Tuners
    -1994 Full Size Blazer ,383 TBI 4L60E, 4.10's, Tuned with Tunerpro RT (Where it all began)

Fuel Injected!
    This would be a lot more fun if it wasn't my daily driver. I would like to learn how to do this stuff eventually, but hope somebody can help get this thing figured out!

This would be a lot more fun if it wasn't my daily driver. I would like to learn how to do this stuff eventually, but hope somebody can help get this thing figured out!
    I completely understand the need to get a daily driver working correctly. I've helped some TBI Chips customers that are local to me. I've helped several TBI owners with remote tuning. What I think is the most challenging thing about tuning your Blazer is the simple fact the computer used in your Blazer has two timing tables, and two fuel tables (near idle / off idle). I use an Excel Macro program to sort the data log into the two different tables, and make adjustments based on the actual logged data. I don't make assumptions that because a similar engine or similar camshaft profile worked with "X" programming, the next similar engine with similar camshaft profile will work just fine with the same "X" programming. I don't subscribe to the idea there is a "One Size Fits All" chip. Even with my Excel Marco, it can take an hour, sometimes more to compile the necessary changes for a chip. I think it's unlikely that a high volume chip retailer has the time to accurately compile the changes needed for a chip based on a case by case basis?

Most remote tuning will require additional equipment, Laptop Computer loaded with the appropriate data logging software (TurnerPro RT), Ostrich 2, Memcal adapter board, and an ALDL cable. There is a learning curve to get setup for remote tuning, how to data log and how to file transfer from a file attached in an email into the Ostrich 2.

If your interested in my help to remote tune your Blazer, send me a PM.

dave w

Here's the problem. Taking off from a dead stop and gradually applying throttle and manually shifting it, it starts to miss or hesitate around 30% throttle, and around 2500 rpm. It also feels flat from idle up to around that point and then starts pulling all of a sudden. With the factory chip there is no hesitation, but it tries to die when coming to a stop. The stock chip also doesnt make near the power the stage 2 does. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm honestly about to go insane switching memcals every 3 days. Thanks for your input, it will be greatly appreciated.
    If you look around this website and the internet you'll find MANY issues with TBICHIPS.com, it's hit or miss if he can get it right? I've retuned many of them and people are way happy.

Looking at some of his chips shows why. You'd be pissed if you saw how little is done or how wrong it is!

Your 2500 RPM issue has happened before and linked to worn distributor cap and rotor or faulty EST module, the module issue is even worse if you have one that is not GM! Did you run the new spark plugs wires in factory locations? Or are some taped together, to close to EFI wires or modules?

What I can't explain is why the stock chip runs better? Less power then modified chip is easily explained. If he is getting bad data he tuned bad data and now his chip is worse. If you have the slightest exhaust leak anywhewre before the O2 sensor or a vacuum leak then that is what happened, the reason you don't notice it above 2500 RPM, 30% TPS can be 3 fold. Exhaust pressure is built up and no pulse sucking in air to mess up O2 sensor reading, or your hitting PE (Power Enrichement) which goes Open Loop, so no O2 sensor feedback. Or a faulty TPS reading at that point. Vacuum leak would also not come into play at that point. Why the stock one wants to die coming to a stop is the cam change.

Your nose is a horrible AFR gauge, but if you can smell hydrocarbons then you have no CAT. Without a CAT even a good running motor smells rich because 2 things, your nose sucks as an AFR gauge and no one is used to smelling exhaust without a cat that clears this up.

So check for vacuum leaks.
    Verify the EST module is GM, some stores can check these but the test has to be done 3 times and if it fails any it's bad.
    Exhaust leak before o2 sensor.

Vacuum gauge can also shed some light, look for steady reading at idle and a smooth transition while accelerating, it will move of course but no shaking... you may have a valve adjusted wrong.

You could post a data log, some guys have datamaster but most around here use TunerPro.

HTH!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the replys guys. I used datamaster to log it last time. After driving it today the hesitation seems better, but still feels flat up to around 2500. I will post the logs later when I get home to let you guys see what you think. The plug wires, cap, and rotor are all new Accel brand. 43ts plugs are a little old. The only thing I'm not sure of is the module, it had a distributor put in it a year ago. Still puzzles me how it has no hesitation on the stock chip but does on the modified chip. It has no cat and no egr either. The 4th chip that is currently in here, seems a little less rich because it seemed to want to load up and sounded like it had a big cam in it on the 3rd chip. Thanks again for trying to help me out. Lord knows I need it!

Thanks for the replys guys. I used datamaster to log it last time. After driving it today the hesitation seems better, but still feels flat up to around 2500. I will post the logs later when I get home to let you guys see what you think. The plug wires, cap, and rotor are all new Accel brand. 43ts plugs are a little old. The only thing I'm not sure of is the module, it had a distributor put in it a year ago. Still puzzles me how it has no hesitation on the stock chip but does on the modified chip. It has no cat and no egr either. The 4th chip that is currently in here, seems a little less rich because it seemed to want to load up and sounded like it had a big cam in it on the 3rd chip. Thanks again for trying to help me out. Lord knows I need it!
    I can read Data Master logs.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Hey Dave can I email them to you?

Hey Dave can I email them to you?
    For the time being, I think posting here will be good. Gives others a chance to look.

dave

Fuel Injected!
    Ok. Ill have to see if I can post it tomorrow, all I have is the email I sent to Brian with the files attached. I'll try to get it posted tomorrow for y'all to look at. Thanks again for taking the time to look at them for me.

This forum is set to allow most any file we need and I'm sure Datamaster is one. Let me know if there is an issue.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    This forum is set to allow most any file we need and I'm sure Datamaster is one. Let me know if there is an issue.
    Might need to zip the DataMaster data log (.uni)?

dave w

Fuel Injected!

Run Files from Datamaster

Here is one of the Datamaster files