Thread: $42 questions

Fuel Injected!

$42 questions

Now that I have gotten Tunerpro to connect I have a few other issues that do not seem to make any sense to me. I am using an adx file marked $42-1227747-V5.0.adx that I downloaded from this site. This morning I did some datalogging and some tweaking to my VE tables with no issues.
    Using the spark histogram table from this adx gives me numbers all over the place. ! might have one cell that shows an avg of 10 and the one next to it shows 79. None of it seems to follow any rhyme nor reason. I do have a code 43 that sets itself sometimes so perhaps this is a knock sensor or esc issue?
    Also my injector duty cycle reads crazy numbers between 2 and 4 hundred percent.
    Thanks,
    Roy

I've requested Value Comments in ADX file like the Paremeter Comments in XDF file from TunerPro because of this issue and it would be handy for many others.

Spark Advance and Injector Duty Cycle are not in data stream, they are in the ADX file becuase of the hacks in the XDF file. It places this information in the datra stream by removing something else. To use them open the $42-1227747.V5.1.xdf, in Paremter Tree choose Catigories and look for folder called "Hacks". Read what they take place of so you know what is now not going to work and apply them for Spark Advance and BPW. Can leave on all the time.

There just is not much to work with in this old 160 Baud ECM, so to get more needed info we use the space of Prom ID and O2 Cross Counts.

Using the TPS% hack is helpful for idle and other transitions but should not be left on as it disables knock sensor.

Then look in folder "Turn Off For Data Logging" These items set to off help get better data to adjust Main VE table in order.

This thread will also help understand some built in issues from GM with fueling of $42 and make the spreadsheet for VE work correctly.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...4-7747-ve1-ve2

Number one issue of setting a DTC 43 is after you set timing. Disconnect power to clear codes and see if it comes back. PDFs for error codes and diagnostics are found in this thread:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...roubleshooting

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Mark, I am not able to find a folder titled "hacks" or "turn off for datalogging". Is there a "tunerpro for dummies" book available? :)
    If I open the adx editor I can see some basic info regarding the individual hacks, but do not know how to turn them on/off.
    I do see the cause of the crazy timing numbers in the histogram though. If I watch the items list in real time I can see that the timing number is cumulative. It starts low and continues to climb higher until it gets to 100 at which point it resets to 0 and starts over again. So it is randomly printing whatever number it is at into whatever histogram square it happens to be on at the time.
    I probably do not even need to use these hacks for the basic tuning I need on this particular car, but figure you should know that I cannot find said folders. I was more concerned that I had an issue with something because of the crazy numbers I was seeing but it doesnt appear that way.
    That is some pretty creative work I must say!
    Thanks,
    Roy

I do see the cause of the crazy timing numbers in the histogram though. If I watch the items list in real time I can see that the timing number is cumulative. It starts low and continues to climb higher until it gets to 100 at which point it resets to 0 and starts over again.
    Correct. Your watching the O2 cross counts. That is what a stock bin file spits out in data stream.

Hacks are in XDF file. You are changing the data output in chip/bin first. Then data log and it will be in ADX data.

Spark Advance takes place of O2 Cross Counts.
    Base Pulse Width takes place of Prom ID.

So stock chip/bin O2 cross counts and Prom ID are correct, Spark Advance and BPW are wrong. If you use the Hacks then O2 cross counts and Prom ID are wrong. We stole their place in data stream by telling the chip/bin what to spit out in data to ADX.

If you re-read my above post it should make sense now.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-