Thread: 16197427 Memcal vs 16196395 Memcal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

16197427 Memcal vs 16196395 Memcal

OK.. Ive been using the 16196395 /NON-CPI memcal and $OD mask and my bin file without issue for a couple years. I got some 16197427 ECMs and used my 6395 memcals with no issues and the $OD Mask. I got some 7427 ECMs in and the memcal will not work well with my setup. After examining the memcals, the ones I'm having trouble with are the ones with the blue and white netres chips (under the knock board). The Memcals with the black netres chips work fine. I also tried the $OE mask thinking maybe that was it, but it ran even worse.

The issue Im having is light and no TPS, the new memcals appear to turn off fuel, but run OK as long as your 1/2 throttle and above. Again, my bin file runs fine on all 1616395 non-cpi ECMs, its only when I install these memcals with with blue/white netres chips do I have a problem.

any ideas?

Ted
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI
    61 Corvair Loadside Pickup (Future EFI)

Super Moderator
    what all are the applications of the MEMCALs that don't work?

and what engine are they being used to run?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

CPI Memcal.... what is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    what all are the applications of the MEMCALs that don't work?

and what engine are they being used to run?
    OK... I feel stupid now. For some reason I was under the impression that 7427 didnt have CPI applications and the BCC listing confirms that it does. thanks Robert for making me look twice.

Does anyone know why the CPI memcals will not work on my $OD bin file. I have 4 that I already modified for the chip and I might just put these on the shelf for awhile.

thanks
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI

Administrator
    This sounds familiar. Did you mention this issue a while back?

We are still learning about memcal internal circuitry and every piece of the puzzle is important. There appears to be a relationship between memcal internal wiring and injector firing strategy and that may be part of the issue here. Can you read the small numbers on the knock board? Also, is there a date on the memcal label or maybe in the .bin? Did you look through the scan data while the engine is running? Did you see any unusual readings? Do you happen to have a picture of the memcal that shows the blue and white chips? And finally, were the working calibrations from CPI engines or were they from TBI engines?

Sorry to pose questions instead of answers but maybe this will help unravel the memcal mysteries for everyone.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 10-21-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Ummmm, this is kind of a dumb question, but could the difference in the memcals be one is for a 6 cylinder engine vs. 8 cylinder engine ?
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

I burn my bin file to chip and place in Memcal. I know it would matter which memcal i used for limp home mode, but Im using DIS with timing offset, so my bet would be it would not matter as my 6 cyl memcals have a almost non-existance limphome mode.

To restate my question/statement: I can use the NON-CPI memcals with my bin with no problem (V-6 or 8). When I use a CPI memcal, It will run pretty good at the 2000 RPMs and above and under load. Idle and low load situations, it acts like its loading up and as throttle is applied appears to burn off the excess. I hate to trash the CPI modules as I had already converted them to accept chips. Is it the fueling since I have 2 injectors and it someway CPI is using one?

I dont want to beat a dead horse, but I also hate trashing good chips.

Ted
    Last edited by corvairnut; 10-21-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI