Thread: 16197427 ECM and Code 51

16197427 ECM and Code 51

I took the truck out for a run (first time in months, it was down for a fuel pump replacement) and got a code 51 after about 6 minutes of driving. No flashing SES, however. Just solid. No driveability issues and I stopped and pulled the code by shorting the ALDL pins. (I didn't have my Windoze laptop with me.)

I returned home without clearing the code. When I went WOT, I thought I heard distinct engine knock, so I backed off. Otherwise, the engine performed fine.

I am using the G3 switching adapter with the remote switcher. I only loaded up 4 bins and stacked them. This is the same chip I had in there months ago. No changes. And I know I didn't accidentally switch the bins. I've switched bins to an empty "slot" before and I got a flashing SES.

I reset the computer when I got home and unplugged the remote switcher and will try using the on-board knob tomorrow.

Any ideas?
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

bad gas!

Gas these days doesn't like to sit.
    Throw some fresh gas @ it, I bet the issue never comes back.

Well I agree that old gas nowadays would cause the knock issue. It wouldn't cause a DTC 51, that is prom error. With the G3 and EX there's lots of possibilitys of a connection issue that caused it?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I actually replaced the gas tank, too. So it was all new gasoline. I forgot to take the truck to the office yesterday, so I'll try (to remember to take the truck) again today.

Answering my own question..... <duh>

I drove it around town several times without the EX remote and no Code 51! :D