Thread: 1998 Vortec Timing Table (Black Box Computer) Open / Closed Throttle ONLY!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pmkls1 View Post
    Even a stock Vortec can handle a little more aggressive timing curve. I am running more total timing at WOT in my car without any issues, but the rest of the table is pretty similar. Once you open up the ports a little and throw in a more aggressive cam, you will more than likely end up with a much more aggressive table. It is my experience that Vortec heads like more aggressive timing in low-to-mid range loads, but will only want 32-34 degrees of max advance under heavy loads. I think that this is where people get confused when trying to tune the ignition curve on Vortec headed applications. Of course, you also have to consider that, while it is good to be able to observe what the factory ignition curve looks like, there is always room for improvement as the engineers usually stay a little conservative for numerous reasons.
    I have experienced similar results with mine too. it likes alot of timing low but I'm only able to get 26* WOT without knock. I'm assuming this is because of the long duration of my cam. just goes back to every motor is different.
    Last edited by PJG1173; 10-09-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,