Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
The WBO2 was $2500 when I first started this game and now it's around 1/10th that price. GM uses active coil current and voltage detection to determine TDC on Ecotec engines and produce a cam sync pulse. And ion spark detecion circuitry can be adapted to measure cylinder pressure as well. We just need to get together and adapt or redesign some OEM circuitry.
I was aware of the ion spark detection capability of many late model coil designs and I believe the current and voltage detection was tied into that technology. But I had no clue that GM or any manufacturer for that matter was using it to determine TDC and produce a cam sync pulse. Of course, I admit that I only paid attention to a fraction of the training courses I took due to the sheer volume of courses it takes to acheive and maintain master tech status. For the time being, I still have access to GM's online database until my old employer decides that my training isn't beneficial to them anymore or until GM realizes that I am no longer employed there. But, as long as I have access, I can still easily obtain part numbers and schematics etc....