Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with some connector ID

Fuel Injected!

help with some connector ID

I have my 88 truck harness almost sorted. kinda confused on two connectors over by the fuel pump relay.

I believe the one is the fuel pump test connection?
    20240312_143311.jpg
    two prong and has tan/white and a pink/black. both end up at "junctions" in the harness itself. which branch out in various ways.

its weird to me that on one side it would be "fuel pump signal" as per terminal B2 on the ecu connector and then "ign - ecm fuse" as per terminal A6 on the other ecu connector.

what do I even do with this thing? was it ever connected to anything? can I cut it out?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...ng/747ecm1.jpg
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...ng/747ecm2.jpg

this other one is also a two prong and close by the fuel pump relay. its just as weird as the first one was to me. The orange wire goes to a junction which also goes to that pin on the fuel pump relay in the background. same with the pink/black wire. as above...terminal C16 orange (battery 12v) and terminal A12 (ign-12v fuse). I mean they connected to something at one point I think?
    20240312_143250.jpg
    I have pretty much all the other sensors needed hooked up in the harness aside from the o2 which I dont have in my hands yet and I dont have the one side of the coil harness pair going to anything. one side comes from the ignition module. still looking for the rest of the coil harness pic as the one here just sorta cuts off on me right at the 423 WHT line. kinda weird.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...ng/747ecm6.jpg

also, one last question. how do I depin the ecu connectors? I've been probing one of the pins that I dont need for a bit and cant figure out how it is held in there. been looking with a flashlight and such and cant get it to let go. I'd love to pull a couple wires out....thread them out of the main loom, and then hook them back in so I can separate some of the tangled mess in the middle.
    Last edited by stackz; 03-12-2024 at 10:04 PM.

The Fuel Pump Relay and / or Oil Pressure Switch will supply power to the fuel pump. The oil pressure switch is a backup to the fuel pump relay should the fuel pump relay fail. I did an experiment to see what would happen if the fuel pump relay was removed; after an unusually long cranking time (about 12 seconds) the fuel pump came on and the engine started and continued running without the fuel pump relay. I even drove to / from work without the fuel pump relay.
    Last edited by dave w; 03-13-2024 at 01:22 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok so my thinking was in the right direction but backwards
    I thought it was maybe that if it lost oil pressure it would shut off fuel pump to kill engine and save it maybe

Quote Originally Posted by stackz View Post
    I have my 88 truck harness almost sorted. kinda confused on two connectors over by the fuel pump relay.

I believe the one is the fuel pump test connection?
    20240312_143311.jpg
    two prong and has tan/white and a pink/black. both end up at "junctions" in the harness itself. which branch out in various ways.

its weird to me that on one side it would be "fuel pump signal" as per terminal B2 on the ecu connector and then "ign - ecm fuse" as per terminal A6 on the other ecu connector.

what do I even do with this thing? was it ever connected to anything? can I cut it out?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...ng/747ecm1.jpg
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...ng/747ecm2.jpg
    The ECM needs to know when the fuel pump is "On" / "Fuel Pump Signal" The wiring for the "Fuel Pump Signal" is spliced into the power wire going to the fuel pump.

Fuel Injected!
    ok, but what does it connect to? people on another group think it may be for the alternator but I'm not so sure? I have a 10si alternator on the engine this harness will go on and this plug does look very similar to it though. but I'm not sure?

I'm going to spend some time looking through some diagrams tonight and hopefully figure it out.
    plug pic.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    ok I think it may have been to some sort of fuel module that I dont need? I cant really tell what else it could have gone to. though I will say there is no black/white on the plug. but where my finger is pointing on the printout is the only thing it could be?

there is pink/black at terminal C and tan/white at terminal A...I dont know.

20240312_193617.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by stackz View Post
    ok I think it may have been to some sort of fuel module that I dont need? I cant really tell what else it could have gone to. though I will say there is no black/white on the plug. but where my finger is pointing on the printout is the only thing it could be?

there is pink/black at terminal C and tan/white at terminal A...I dont know.

20240312_193617.jpg
    It appears the connector pictured is for an ATC fuse, see link below. Pink wire with a Black stripe is typically ignition "ON". Not sure what the tan/white wire is for.

https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Sol...01LWNVT61?th=1

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    It appears the connector pictured is for an ATC fuse, see link below. Pink wire with a Black stripe is typically ignition "ON". Not sure what the tan/white wire is for.

interesting. I wonder if its the 20a in the pic then. most likely I think. gonna probe some stuff later this morning and check it out.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

ok, I'm pretty sure its the fuel pump test connector. not sure if it just stays unplugged like this when not in use or not. The tan/white wire traces all the way back to pin B2 on the ecu connectors.

The pink/black stripe wire go over to the oil pressure sender plug. then from the other side of the oil pressure sender plug its the orange wire to the fuel pump relay.

I assume I need to jump this wire or the oil pressure sender wont be doing anything?

The fuel pump relay wiring described above seems odd to me.

Typically, the fuel pump wiring high side gets battery+ from a wire with an inline fusible link or a fuse that eventually is connected to the Battery + terminal.

The computer supplies a battery + signal to the fuel pump relay low side, with the other low side terminal connected to ground. When the fuel pump relay high side contacts close Battery + is sent to the fuel pump.

Typically, the oil pressure switch wiring gets battery+ from a wire with an inline fusible link or a fuse that eventually is connected to the Battery + terminal.

Typically 5 PSI of oil pressure closes the oil pressure switch to send Battery + to the fuel pump.

Typically the oil pressure switch fuel pump wire and fuel pump relay fuel pump wire are spliced together so either the fuel pump relay and / or oil pressure switch will supply Battery + to the fuel pump.

Typically ECM Terminal B2 is spliced into the wire that sends Battery + to the fuel pump.

Possibly the wiring diagram shown below is helpful.

Fuel Pump Relay.JPG

Fuel Injected!
    I have that wiring diagram sitting next to me at my desk actually and have the notes from binder planet snipped in under it.

it seems weird to me as well but if it works I'm cool with it. I tried taking some overall pics of it. I put a 20a fuse in the connector we think is the ATC. you can see how it just sorta splices into the main harness in the first pic. In the second pic you can see how the oil pressure switch loops back to the pink/black splice and to the orange power wire to the relay. with the way it loops from the tan/white from the ecu and there is nothing left aside from it on the other side of that splice, it kind of has to stay in place as a fused signal I guess? the piece of the tan/white that you see that is cut went to something else not part of the main engine harness (when I grabbed this harness I just grabbed literally everything under the hood as one big mass). but thats why I think this is the fuel pump test connector maybe?
    20240314_143328.jpg20240314_143334.jpg
    Last edited by stackz; 03-14-2024 at 09:55 PM.

The fuel pump relay actually has 3 high side connectors, that allow for Normally Closed contacts and Normally Open contacts.

The fuel pump power is connected by the Normally Opened contacts.

The fuel pump prime is connected by the Normally Closed contacts.

Fuel Injected!
    cool, I will look into more tomorrow. I just finally figured out how to get the pins out of the ecu connector. I'm going to pull them one at a time and unravel this birds nest once and for all so I can lay out all the circuits without them all being twisted up into each other.

I know that will help me better visualize the fuel pump circuit.

Administrator
    Are you working with a square body R/V harness or the K truck harness? R/V had some different connectors and used some different wire colors.

There are tools to help remove the ecu pins. They are very, very helpful for this work.

Fuel Injected!
    K series. Came from a blue 88 truck