Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: TBI 350 Target Idle Speed

Fuel Injected!

Fuel Injected!
    This seems like to much work and I’m
    Not good when it comes to wiring, what are the benefits on this swap anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by maronielb View Post
    This seems like to much work and I’m
    Not good when it comes to wiring, what are the benefits on this swap anyway?
    Pretty much just a repin of the harness, shouldn't be too bad should you decide to go that way.

It's a more modern PCM than the ECU you have now, not sure, but should have a faster clock speed, and more ram? There are probably more people who are familiar with them than the ECU that you have.
    Should be able to turn on highway mode for a lean cruise if you wanted.
    More info here
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D

To be clear I wasn't saying that you should or shouldn't go with that, but only pointing out that it is a fairly inexpensive option before burning the rig down.

Should you decide to do that, you can still use the same scanner and should be able to use the same aldl cable also. Should be noted that there are not any known factory bins for a 350 and a 5 speed for it, there are v6 i4 and 454 bins for a manual transmission however.

While I'm thinking of it, do you have access to another obd1 GM you can plug your scanner in to for throttle % ?
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Just looked at your first picture of the scanner again, I noticed that the pnp or park neutral position is showing reverse
    Does this always show this, does it change when you push the clutch in ?

Fuel Injected!
    I think I’ll keep the computer that i have since i can run the correct bin on it and I’m definitely not burning the rig down i just spent 15k to restore it from the frame up. Yes my neighbor has a 94 I’ll plug my scanner into his truck tomorrow and see what it does

Fuel Injected!
    No it doesn’t sometimes it shows drive/reverse and other times it shows p/n this does not change with clutch depressed or brake pedal depressed. It’s just randomly shows something each time i plug it in. However 90 percent of the time it shows p/n. My neighbors truck is an automatic so i will check tomorrow to see if my scanner changes when i put his truck in gear

Glad to hear. Too many repairable trucks end up in the scrap yard and are replaced with new trucks that aren't made as good. Well that's my opinion.

Fuel Injected!
    I agree, I’ll sell my 2018 Silverado before i ever sell my 93, there just so well built, reliable, easy to
    Work on and parts are cheap. Just sucks that there a bit hard to diagnose since they are Obd 1 but with those cables available that should solve that issue. I didn’t even know there was ways to pull live data on Obd 1 until
    Like 1 month ago, that’s way i rushed to buy that scanner i taught i had found gold lol.
    I’ll mess with the truck a bit tomorrow and get back to you on the scanner results

Fuel Injected!
    So I hooked up my scanner to my neighbors truck, which is a 94 with a 5.7 L with a 4l80e transmission and not only does my scanner show a lot more information on his truck, but I was also able to verify that his throttle percentage at idle was 0% and his idle requirement was 713 and this is in park so that tells me that there’s no issues with my scanner but rather something going on with my truck so if there’s anyway that you can point me in the right direction at this point, I would appreciate that. Also I have attached the pictures of all the readings from my neighbors truck. He’s having issues with a strong exhaust smell /running rich I guess you could say so if you guys don’t mind looking at the pictures and letting me know if any of those numbers stand out to you that way maybe I can point him in the right direction to get his truck fixed thank you.
    Last edited by maronielb; 03-14-2024 at 06:15 AM.

The more data is from the 7427 PCM, or equivalent service number.

I personally am wondering about the prom, if it's stock, or uncorrupted. Optimal thing would be if you had another prom to substitute for testing, but short of a trip to a u pull it salvage yard, kinda pricey to come up with one.

Does he have any codes?

It appears it has been trying to lean the mixture to the extent it's allowed with a 111 BLM or long term, and it's open loop, short term is 128, 128 - no adjustment. Scanner says it's rich. Did he possibly crank his fuel pressure? O2 sensor health?

Fuel Injected!
    He rebuilt the throttle body not to long ago but he used a stock rebuild kit so the fuel diagram is not messed it, also truck has a new fuel pump. O2 has not been changed, truck sat for years before he got it recently

Fuel Injected!
    I see, would i be able to put a 7427 in my truck? Where would i be able to get a prom? My truck has a reman computer in it but i opened it up and the BCC code is correct for my truck but I’m
    Not sure if they swapped the prom from the old computer into this one or if this reman unit came with the prom
    Already in it. I just want a 700 rpm idle is that to much to ask for lol

Quote Originally Posted by maronielb View Post
    He rebuilt the throttle body not to long ago but he used a stock rebuild kit so the fuel diagram is not messed it, also truck has a new fuel pump. O2 has not been changed, truck sat for years before he got it recently
    I would check fuel pressure. They make a special gauge for TBI that goes between the return line and the TBI.