Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '411 Transients

Fuel Injected!

'411 Transients

Anyone here know how to tune transients in the '411 ecm? I've been using HPT and it may be a bit lacking in that area.

Jim
    '71 MGB w/ 340 Buick/Eaton/'411 P01

Fuel Injected!
    WAG for me tuning my P59 for my L31 style 383 with s marine manifold.

Best thing I can say is mine mostly needed Throttle Stomp Compensation although it did nee aome additional boil time and impact factor. Make sure that each cell increases in value to the next cell.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    WAG for me tuning my P59 for my L31 style 383 with s marine manifold.

Best thing I can say is mine mostly needed Throttle Stomp Compensation although it did nee aome additional boil time and impact factor. Make sure that each cell increases in value to the next cell.

Thanks for that, I guess I will have to sort out where to find this throttle stomp compensation. Been using the HPT VCM Editor and I have never seen anything like that in that app. Can I assume you are using a different app to do your tuning (and what one would that be?)

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Blackwood View Post
    Thanks for that, I guess I will have to sort out where to find this throttle stomp compensation. Been using the HPT VCM Editor and I have never seen anything like that in that app. Can I assume you are using a different app to do your tuning (and what one would that be?)

Jim
    TunerProRT and an XDF exported from Universal Patcher.

Fuel Injected!
    Great! I already have that on my laptop, and just installed the latest version. Just have to learn how to use it again. I hope to load my latest tune from HPT and go from there. I'll check out the help files.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    Anybody got a good link to set up the OBD Link LX101?
    Jim

Fuel Injected!
    It is bluetooth, Just connect enter pin code and it will be assigned a comport.

Than open Universal patcher->utilities->logger->settings tab->select device and comport->connect

If all is good you will see connection to obdlink and to pcm.

Than you can configure the logging parameters in profile tab.->Add pids that will be logged->start logging button->You will see data on log tab.

Fuel Injected!
    It seems my OBD Link has lost it's mind. Blue light flashes but it doesn't seem to send out a signal. Neither my laptop or phone can detect it. Not exactly a robust bluetooth connection there. So... looks like I need to buy a new one but I'm seeing some bad reviews on it with connectivity issues. Anyone current on this care to comment?

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    DOes it have some form of hard reset button, or some button needs to be pressed while pairing.

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah I did that and the blue led starts flashing fast to indicate it is trying to connect but it never shows up. I'm pretty sure it is FUBAR at this point. These have gotten pretty expensive, I would think there would be something better by now what with all the ones on the market but so far the ones I have looked at all seem to have close to 10% unfavorable ratings, mostly for connectivity issues and I don't really think one in 5 purchasers are clueless about pairing bluetooth. Also I don't believe bluetooth as a comm method is quite that bad.

Of course, last time I went around and around over this connectivity issue was back when they changed the chip in the preferred physical cable and they all were then bad. I still have one of those around here somewhere if I haven't thrown it out. At that point I bought the LX and it worked so I stopped looking at it.

BUT, I have no problem at this point with using a cable if I can find one that is affordable and reliable. For that matter all this was a big part of the reason I migrated to HPT. I think I did have one glitch with their hardware but we got it sorted without anyone going nuclear. But as it turns out, they can't help me with the transient tuning so we're back here.

My buddy Scott tells me there is a BT unit that a couple of the guys developed specifically for tuning, Was maybe an American working with an Australian, does that ring a bell? But honestly I'd be perfectly happy with a cable if it works.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    If you want the best around, a chines clone MDI unit is quite capable, A little expensive and bulkier but is the most versatile. Have wifi, lan and usb.

Next option is lsdroid home brew cables, You can look at them here. The gt is what you need, it supposedly supports tech2win and have j2534 support as a bonus.

https://obdxpro.com/shop/

Than a cheap old usb version of obdlink devices will do the job too.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks. Since both you and Scott endorsed the obdxpro I ordered the GT. Personally I think the expense is a bit much but if it allows me to tune out the transients it will be worth it. I'm hoping the premium product will get a little more attention in terms of quality control, and being able to use it with newer systems could turn out to justify the extra cost also. Watched Lowbuck LS' vid on the vt with pcmhammer and that brought back old memories. I'll upgrade the version, I'm on ver. 14 if that tells you anything. Also taking a look at universalpatcher. I don't know yet what it is useful for but Scott recommended it so I'm looking. Should be here in a few days.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    WIth universal patcher you can tune, datalog and analyze logged data, and much more.

You need to poke around a bit to get what it does and where it is located.

For simple tuning, get a ls1 bin and open it from file->open bin
    Change mode->file->mode->advanced to get more features available.

in utilities tab there is more tools that will open in new windows.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks. I'll look into it. I have a pretty good tune currently, it's evolved a pretty long ways from the basic generic gen-IV file but I need to get those pesky transients under control. Not bad when it's warm but when cold gear changes take a delicate touch.

Jim

Fuel Injected!
    Sorry to take so long getting back to this, my hard drive crashed and I had to basically start over and it's taken me awhile to find this thread. Present status is that I do have the OBDXPRO in hand, I have PCMHammer v21 installed and it does recognize the obdxpro. I have the Universal Patcher (downloaded yesterday) also installed but I remember seeing something about loading a file before using it, I'm looking for that reference.

I still haven't managed to download the bin file using PCMHammer. There might be a power issue of some sort, if I connect to my simulator with the battery charger on it interferes with my touch pad and makes cursor movement almost impossibly erratic due to latency. But on the battery only it seems to behave more normally. However I haven't gotten it to properly connect to the ECM yet either on the simulator or the car. Bound to be something I'm doing wrong but I haven't run across the detailed sequence of user inputs for doing that download so at this point I am mostly guessing and trying to remember how it's supposed to be done. I suppose at some point I will figure it out again and say, "Well of course.." but I'm not there yet.

So that's the update, in case anyone was interested.

Jim