Thread: New to Tuning and EPROM Programming in General

Electronic Ignition!

New to Tuning and EPROM Programming in General

Have a 1994 Olds Bravada with the 16197427 ECU, swapped a Rebuilt 350 .040" over with a hotter cam in it. Running TBI right now since the harness was basically a direct swap over.
    I bought a BJYL chip just to get it started, I chose that one as it matched my gear ratios in the differentials. I did see a couple things to watch out for like disabling the PWM controlled TCC and adjusting the knock sensor voltage since apparently the V8 used only one knock sensor and my 94' doesnt have the PWM TCC.

I'm here to get help finding some tutorials relating to actually programming the chip itself. Mostly in relation to Buffer Addressing and Chip addressing.
    I bought an XGecu T48 programmer for this project. The first thing I would like to do is to read the tune right from the MEMCAL but it fails checking the chip ID, comes back as 8F 85. Its not a huge deal if I don't get it, I downloaded the BJYL bins from here.
    I have a "new" type of chip from BoostedNW, that 2Timer one that he sells over there, as well as the other supporting adapters to work with the MEMCAL.
    My main problem I am having is that when I follow the intructions from BoostedNW, it seems to get the program on the chip, but its shifted by one byte. So the program starts at 00003FFF not 00004000 like the BJYL BIN file. I dont know much about Buffer and Chip adressing and I guess thats why I am here.
    I was following the instructions he has here: https://support.boostednw.com/kb/faq.php?id=1

One thing I didn't understand as well, when I would load the BIN into the buffer using his instructions, the program would start at 00008000. Wouldn't that not include the whole program since in the BIN itself it starts at 00004000 and goes all the way to 0000FFFF? I tried to play around with it but his instructions were the only ones that even got me close.

The 16197427 uses a 64K chip, HEX addresses 0000 ~ FFFF. The 27SF512 chip is 64K, so NO offsets are required for the 16297427 computer chip.

Maybe the Boosted NW example used a different computer with different HEX addresses?

Fuel Injected!
    Maybe this will be helpful don. The same principles apply. Backs up what daveW posted.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Flash-and-Burn

Electronic Ignition!
    I tried to program it without input any parameters in the Buffer nor the Chip adressing spots. It errored out in the verification step. I uploaded the BIN it spit out when I didn't put in any adress parameters and then posted a picture of my programmer software. I have been at this for a while but didn't get too serious since the vehicle wasnt able to run yet, but I remember playing around with the PIN#1 error. I found on the board that basically adapts the 32PIN PLCC 27SF512 to the 28PIN config, he routed the #1 or A15 pin on the 28 PIN to Nowhere. On the PLCC chip he routed the #2 pin or A15 through the jumper pin he has. And the jumper when in the first tune position, will route pin #2 to nowhere and when in the second position it routes it to pin #14 or VSS on the 28 pin.
    I'm wondering if thats why its adressed, I just don't know enough. I tried to contact him over it but he didn't get back to me, I suppose I should try again, give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the email got lost in limbo.
    I tried to also post a picture of the 2TIMER Chip but it wont let me so heres the link to it on his website https://boostednw.com/honda-sst-chip...r-with-2-timer
    af79e18101cd88e3967c91045f1ff9ca.jpgea27638191f5057dea20229f84c1d608.png

I also tried to read the MEMCAL using my EPROM programmer picking a 27C512 and the programmer said every pin was wrong so I'm not sure whats up there. Im using a Moates HDR1 clones BoostedNW sells.

Perhaps the http://xgecu.com/MiniPro/T56_TL866II%20USER%20GUIDE.pdf will be helpful?
    T48 (TL866-3G) English manual download link: (similar as TL866II/T56)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Electronic Ignition!
    Yeah I probably should go back and read the manual, DUH.
    Anyways I actually got in contact with Jamie from BoostedNW, to make it easier I'll just quote his email in here,
    So the chip is the way its supposed to be, there are no missing connections. The chip doesn’t read in that burner likely cause its not a chip in its stock form, it’s a modified setup for the function of the 2 timer itself. Pin 1 is not supposed to be connected, even on old style 2 timer boards that take DIP chips the pin 1 is bent out of the way so its not connected.

There is definitely not anything wrong with the 2 timer, we developed those many years ago, the design hasn’t changed, and thousands have been sold and used.

The chip being off, is likely the offsets not matching in that burners program, our guides are for our burners, and the way our software works with the burner. Not sure about the other software and the correct method to get it to burn properly. But even minus the 2 timer, if you have a 512 K chip, your putting in a car that normally takes a 256K EEPROM, you have DOUBLE the size, therefore the LAST half of the chip is where the tune will be read from. Thus the need to offset the tune to the 8000-FFFF portion of the chip.

a 256 k chip full range is 0000- 7FFF, a 512 k chip full range is 0000-FFFF (8000 is the middle).

So using a SST 27SF512 the offset needs to start at 8000 and end at FFFF. (for tune 1)

Then the 2 timer uses the extra pin (pin 1) which is actually EEPROM Pin “A15” the highest address pin, and when you ground that pin, which is what the 2 timer does, the chip then appears to the ecu as half the size cause its missing that address pin.

So to the ecu it then reads the 0000- 7FFF, as that is all it can see anyway, and that reads the “second” tune.
    So the pin "missing" is the way it supposed to be as I had guessed. I will read through that manual and see what I can find.

It appears to me the 2-Timer will not work for the 16197427 chip, because the 16197427 chip uses all memory addresses 0000 ~ FFFF of the 512K chip.

Electronic Ignition!
    On his website he claims it should work. I asked him about it since the program is larger than the address range he provided. We'll see where it goes, I dont care too much about the dual tuning functionality so much. If I can just get it so I can program it and have the ECU read it that would be great. Its still a 27SF512 chip so I don't see why I couldnt.

So is he wrong when he says it was originally a 256K chip? I dont understand

Electronic Ignition!
    Alright update, I bypassed his 2Timer circuitry and wired the A15 pin back to A15 and it programmed fine and ran the vehicle. I am happy now.
    Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by don3194 View Post
    Alright update, I bypassed his 2Timer circuitry and wired the A15 pin back to A15 and it programmed fine and ran the vehicle. I am happy now.
    Thanks all.
    Good job getting the chip programming figured out.

Likely Boosted NW hasn’t work with the 16197427 chip, which causes customer frustration with their inexperience.

Many of us miss Moates.net because they “knew their stuff “

Not sure that Jamie at Boostednw knows much about gm tuning or equipment. I sold him a new xtreme aldl I think he took apart to bootleg. Said it was defective without any details on what wasn’t working. Makes me wonder about him, very rude in email response.

Electronic Ignition!
    I couldn't tell if he was rude or just the way he was in email. His products can work for GM stuff, just buyer beware.
    The 2Timer product may be the only one that is not directly compatible with 64K bins, his adapter for reading the MEMCAL and the actual adapter for using an aftermarket chip in the ECU work just fine.

I noticed in the classified section here there’s a different guy making a bin switcher. Not sure if his would work.
    If you don’t have any luck I think I have a friend with a 2 timer I might be able to persuade to sell.

Electronic Ignition!
    I don't really need to have a dual tune, thanks for the offer though.