Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 350 build with LT1 intake and DIS?

I knda took my 2nd step twards the northstar DIS myself. (first step was buying the coilpacks and crank sensors)
    I found a already pulled and setting upside down northstar at my local pull a part, something like $27 for the crank. So I pulled the whole crank and took a sawsall to it...lol. A little work in a lathe should get me going.
    Last post on this page for some pics:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Edition/page35

I also bought a used timing cover for my engine to use as a mockup for the mounting bracket for the senors. Still lots of work for me. I will be watching your conversion closely.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Yeah I seen that, you got lucky lol. Them N*'s are a major PITA to do just about anything on. When I was younger and dumber had a '94 Eldorado Touring Coupe that I blew the motor up in racing a turbo Civic lol. I thought about rebuilding it at the time but a rebuild kit was something like $1200 and a good used motor at the time was around $2500 plus the fun of dropping a sideways V8 out, I just ended up selling the car.

If all goes as planned(like it ever does) should have it mounted up and see if it works in a couple weeks or after the new year. I've got to get a different balancer because my current one is the thick sbc one. It want let me mount the trigger wheel on the back side of the balancer as planned and maybe some new wires depending on where I'm able to mount the coil packs.
    '88 Camaro 305tbi factory 5 speed car engine all stock except for Thrush(just like a flowmaster) muffler and open element air cleaner. LS1 brakes, wonder bar, Founders LCA/PHB & caster camber plates, Eibach springs, Hurst shifter, Ford 2 speed fan and 17's with 235's in front/275's out back. Running a 7427 $0d. rsmith085 over at TGO

Yea mine is gonna have to be on the front side of the balancer, sandwitched between it and the pulley. So I am gonna buy a new balancer so I can have it machined and still keep my old one on my engine so I can still drive it while work everything out.

Definately keep us updated as you go! I am very eager to see how it all works out.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

When I built my Franken60 (multi generational 60 degree V6), I put the trigger wheel between the balancer and the pulley, then spaced the other pulleys and belt driven accessories forward an equal amount.

I've seen other people make a ring that gets welded to the pulley, behind the belt surface , so that no spacers were required.

On my Datsun, I used the same trigger wheel from my Franken60, and bolted it to the front of the crank pulley/balancer, because it was all one piece.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

The design of the center hub on my balancer leaves me enough room to machine off the thickness of the trigger wheel and be fine. The rest of the other pulleys on my engine would not be easy to space out, so taking a bit off the balancer is the easyest route. The bracket to mount the crank sensors is gonna be the hard part on mine.

Finally got around to doing some more work on the trigger wheel between work, xmas and life been kinda cramped for time. Work has slowed down thanks to the holidays which sucks cause I get flat rate pay but it does give me time to play.

Anyways been machining the teeth into the trigger wheel, so far I'm half way there with only 16 more to go. For my wheel they need to be .237 wide, closest I could find with out going with a pricey letter size end mill is 6mm. 6mm is .2362 and I don't think .0008 is gonna make a difference.

Here some pics of my progress so far
    TriggerWheel1.jpg
    TriggerWheel2.jpg
    '88 Camaro 305tbi factory 5 speed car engine all stock except for Thrush(just like a flowmaster) muffler and open element air cleaner. LS1 brakes, wonder bar, Founders LCA/PHB & caster camber plates, Eibach springs, Hurst shifter, Ford 2 speed fan and 17's with 235's in front/275's out back. Running a 7427 $0d. rsmith085 over at TGO

Looks nice. Oh the stuff I could do if I had a mill and lathe...lol

I built the trigger wheel I needed from my SBC / LS '0411 PCM project. Fun Stuff!

dave w

Finally finished up my trigger wheel! It took me awhile lol, I was hoping to have it all done by now but was super busy at work and now it's slowed down(kinda lame when your flat rate though).

I've got around 7 or 8 hours of machine work in it. All thats left is to index it on the balancer and make a bracket for the crank sensors. I was gonna use the old style front motor mount bolt holes but I've got a serpentine setup and its brackets bolt there. So now I'm gonna use where the fuel pump would bolt to.

Mocking it up some on a old short block I have it should workout pretty good. For the bracket it'll have to be "Z" shaped to have the sensors close enough to the trigger wheel.

Anyways heres the finished wheel other than some paint to pretty it up....
    TriggerWheel3.jpg

Sweet! I wish I had time to get back on mine, but I have had so many things taking up my time lately, its hard to get time to work on it.

Yeah tell me about it... We've gotten 600+ new cars in that needed inspections/antennas screwed etc in the past month and been working 6 or 7 days a week. I'm hoping to get it done in the next couple of weeks but something will probably come up between now and then lol