Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 350 build with LT1 intake and DIS?

Although a cool swap, why not just go Coil On Plug? RoadRunner for Real Time tuning or LS/0411 PCM... drives up cost but you'd have a better system.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    i'd like to see a comparison between COP/CNP and DIS.... and that being the only difference.

i could be wrong, but i don't see much of a gain happening. about the only benefit would be cylinder specific control. the DIS coils need ~5mS to fully saturate(or less, knowing GM's tendacy to build in headroom), to hit 5mS between firings, you would need to turn 12,000 RPM with waste-spark.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

The LS stuff would be cool, especially with control of individual cylinder's fueling. But I can't stomach the price of tuning software and the Wife probably wouldn't be to happy about it too lol. Plus I can get all the parts for DIS from the j/y, where as with the LS stuff I haven't seen any in the yards and I even overheard one of the guys that works at the u-pull it admit to stripping anything LS himself so he can hoard the parts.....

A comparison would be sweet. I've got data master and according to it's dyno I'm putting down 180rwhp. That's pretty accurate, a stock M5 L03 puts down 150ish. So when I do it I can get an idea of any gains. Car Craft did convert a LT1 over to the LS stuff and got an extra 20HP over the OptiSpark. I'm gonna search for the article, they might have it online.
    '88 Camaro 305tbi factory 5 speed car engine all stock except for Thrush(just like a flowmaster) muffler and open element air cleaner. LS1 brakes, wonder bar, Founders LCA/PHB & caster camber plates, Eibach springs, Hurst shifter, Ford 2 speed fan and 17's with 235's in front/275's out back. Running a 7427 $0d. rsmith085 over at TGO

Super Moderator
    they did a lot more than changing the ignition stuff though.... so a direct comparison, it was not.

Here's the link http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ls_conversion/ I thought they were using the LT1 computer but started with a TPI computer so they did gain SFI as well but other than that everything remained the same.

Sweet engine too, made 565hp at 6700rpm, 507ft lbs at 5300rpm and still putout 407ft lbs at 2500rpm. Just goes to show the power good heads can put down. I always have to hold myself from lmao at people that claim their 2.02 double hump 350 puts out 500hp, you'd be surprised how many times I've heard that at the cruise-ins.
    '88 Camaro 305tbi factory 5 speed car engine all stock except for Thrush(just like a flowmaster) muffler and open element air cleaner. LS1 brakes, wonder bar, Founders LCA/PHB & caster camber plates, Eibach springs, Hurst shifter, Ford 2 speed fan and 17's with 235's in front/275's out back. Running a 7427 $0d. rsmith085 over at TGO

Super Moderator
    so a ~20HP gain over a distributor using a CDI setup. i mean, believable.

but they also swapped PCMs and tuned for it on the dyno. they mention nothing about tuning the existing computer, or even which one it was, only that it was used for a baseline.

i would bet a similar if not identical gain would be had with a waste-spark DIS setup like was used on the northstar over the dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroDude85 View Post
    The LS stuff would be cool, especially with control of individual cylinder's fueling. But I can't stomach the price of tuning software and the Wife probably wouldn't be to happy about it too lol.
    How about if you could have a LS/0411 Emulater/datalogger and use TunerPro? $600.
    http://www.moates.net/roadrunner-ls1...ation-pcm.html

I was reading up on the RoadRunner at EFI Live and some guys mentioned TunerPro. Well sure enough I plug my RoadRunner in and TunerPro finds and displays it a RoadRunner. There is a LS XDF and ADX file but I've never tried it...

-= =-

Now you've got me thinking.... You have a link to where their talking about it? If tunerpro works with the roadrunner I can justify the price of that. Might would pick up a LQ4 6.0 and flip the exhaust manifolds around to feed a 76mm turbo to keep the roadrunner company :D Thinking about it I probably could do a turbo 6.0L for around $3k including the roadrunner. I'm a HP junkie that probably needs an intervention lol.

I don't know? But have asked Mark at TunerPro...

If I didn't loose the LS ADX and XDF in my computer crash I would have tried to flash a bin to it.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroDude85 View Post
    I'm a HP junkie that probably needs an intervention lol.
    We tried a 12 step program based off AA. But everyone thought AA was to disable checksum...

-= =-

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    We tried a 12 step program based off AA. But everyone thought AA was to disable checksum...
    lmao

Super Moderator
    i think a 16 step program would be more appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    i think a 16 step program would be more appropriate?
    ICwutUdidthar.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Been working on doing the N* DIS swap on the little 305. So far I've got the coil packs/module/crank sensors.

I decided to try and machine a trigger wheel myself, it'll be some work but it'll save money and I'll get the satisfaction of doing it myself. I got a piece of cold rolled 1/4" plate that me and my Dad so far have turned round and bored a hole to fit over the balancer snout. When he gets back in town later this week gonna take a end mill and cut the notches in the trigger wheel.

Been doing the math and I'm not sure if I should take into account that the sensors are mounted .050" of an inch from the trigger wheel when figuring up the sensor spacing to have them 27* apart. I'm thinking so, the trigger wheel is 7.25 in diameter and adding .050" to the radius I end up at 7.350 x pi / 360 to get 1* in inches. Someone that's smarter than me on this please chime in if this isn't correct lol.

Come income tax time I've decided to go with a LT1, it's pretty much a drop in affair and their cheap. Been doing some reading and with a cam/lt headers they can put down 360rwhp which should be quite fun in the old thirdgen. I intend on leaving it stock at first until I can afford a T-56 or TKO to replace the T-5 cause 360whp and a T-5 seems like disaster waiting to happen.

Anyways heres the finalized CAD drawing I used as a template to center punch everything on the trigger wheel and a work in progress CAD drawing of the crank sensor bracket. I've got to figure the mounting spacing on the block but I plan on using the two bolt holes that if I remember right were for the old front engine mounts to mount the bracket. Also found this http://www.code59.org/index.php?topic=6929.0 not a lot of info but does have some pictures of N* DIS on a LT1.

NorthStarWheel.jpgCrankSensorBracket3Dnoted.jpg