Thread: 350 build with LT1 intake and DIS?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

350 build with LT1 intake and DIS?

I was thinking of hopping up the 305 but decided a 350 would be better. Here's what I'm thinking I'm gonna build(slowly but surely as funds allow) to put in the Camaro.

350 OE roller block with hypereutectic pistons, cast steel crank, reworked rods with ARP bolts, Pro Comp 210cc heads, Comp XFI280 cam and of course headers/good exhaust and some 3.73's out back. I wanna top it off with a LT1 intake, run the LT1 oil pump drive and N* DIS. I think this is a good relatively budget build that according to Desktop dyno will put out 460hp at 6k and 445tq at 4.5k.

What I'm wondering is can the 7427 PCM I currently have run this combo? I know it'll run the MPI with the resistor mod but how about the cam and N* DIS? Every thing I've seen about the DIS says you have to change the reference angle and min/max spark but there is no reference angle in the 7427 just the initial spark advance. Is reference angle and initial spark the same/similar? I'd like to keep the 7427 because I'm familiar with it and the .xdf has got to be the nicest well organized one out there.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row with this one, I was going to put a 5.3 lm7 that I had in it till I seen that the cross member needed notching, plus all the other goodies to make it fit and that tuning software is $600+
    '88 Camaro 305tbi factory 5 speed car engine all stock except for Thrush(just like a flowmaster) muffler and open element air cleaner. LS1 brakes, wonder bar, Founders LCA/PHB & caster camber plates, Eibach springs, Hurst shifter, Ford 2 speed fan and 17's with 235's in front/275's out back. Running a 7427 $0d. rsmith085 over at TGO

Super Moderator
    there's a reference angle, it's just not defined as such.

keep in mind, the northstar DIS will want all 3 sensors functioning, but you can get away with any 2 out of the 3 of the crank sensors and cam sensor.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Yeah my plan was to run the 2 crank sensors and get a trigger wheel laser cut somewhere. I'm lucky enough that my Dad has a pretty well equipped machine shop so making the bracket for the crank sensors will be a piece of cake. As for the reference angle is that something I need to look through the $0d hack for?
    '88 Camaro 305tbi factory 5 speed car engine all stock except for Thrush(just like a flowmaster) muffler and open element air cleaner. LS1 brakes, wonder bar, Founders LCA/PHB & caster camber plates, Eibach springs, Hurst shifter, Ford 2 speed fan and 17's with 235's in front/275's out back. Running a 7427 $0d. rsmith085 over at TGO

Super Moderator
    it's possible that it's already in the XDF, just called something different.

it MAY be initial advance, depending on who made the XDF. certain masks have both an initial advance and a reference angle though.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Alright thanks. I'm gonna dig through the xdf and hack and see what my limited knowledge can come of with lol.

Ok digging through the different hack's I've came across, couldn't find anything with reference angle, only initial. But in one hack I seen at the top it was for a DIS engine the 2.2l S10 bin BHFM. In it initial advance is set to 66.1, maximum spark advance is at -6.0 and maximum spark retard is -66.1. So I'm gonna assume this is how a $0d bin should be set up to work with DIS. This is got me wanting to do DIS on the little 305 now for something to play with and it'll be one less thing to figure out when I eventually(wife, kids, house kinda take precedence) do the swap to the 350.