Thread: startup/safe tune for a 5.3 with an ss2 cam12212156 bin

Carb and Points!

startup/safe tune for a 5.3 with an ss2 cam12212156 bin

Having trouble getting my 5.3 DBC to idle if anyone can pm me a bin it would be much appreciated. Os 12212156

5.3 cai, ss2 cam, no cats, flex fuel injectors, high flow intank fp, 150 shot zex wet kit
    Last edited by RGROSE954; 12-07-2023 at 02:53 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    meh. i had a customer come to my house a few weeks ago who had been driving around with an SS2 cam on a stock tune for A YEAR. The only thing he wanted adjusted was the idle speed. So i bumped up the idle speeds to 1200 cold, 800 hot. And up'd the base running airflow by 40% across the board. He drove away happy and told me later that he was loving the truck.

definitely not saying you should do that....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RGROSE954 View Post
    Having trouble getting my 5.3 DBC to idle if anyone can pm me a bin it would be much appreciated. Os 12212156

5.3 cai, ss2 cam, no cats, flex fuel injectors, high flow intank fp, 150 shot zex wet kit
    Return-less fuel rail? Corvette fuel filter / pressure regulator?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RGROSE954 View Post

I see absolutely no changes to anything in the idle tables. Are you even trying?

Fuel Injected!
    Also are you using the 02 L59 FF fuel rail regulator or the 02 LM7 non FF fuel rail regulator? If it is the LM7 then you need to change the IFR table from 33 to 35.4. And it appears the short pulse adder table is still set for the LM7 injectors.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xls1 View Post
    Also are you using the 02 L59 FF fuel rail regulator or the 02 LM7 non FF fuel rail regulator? If it is the LM7 then you need to change the IFR table from 33 to 35.4. And it appears the short pulse adder table is still set for the LM7 injectors.
    Thank you yes I'm still using lm7 fuel rail and regulator i will make those changes. Also it's the return style fuel system.
    Last edited by RGROSE954; 12-08-2023 at 02:48 PM.

Carb and Points!
    I see absolutely no changes to anything in the idle tables. Are you even trying?
    that's my base tune stock with just the injector data. When i get to my laptop I'll post my current tune

Carb and Points!
    this is my current tune seems to run good but still needs work have not tuned for WOT just cam and idle Please any input would be helpful thank you

Fuel Injected!
    Guessing this is a swap vehicle? That is a pretty large cam for a 5.3L. 228/230 112 LSA. Guessing a stock torque converter too? What is the gear ratio and tire size (xxx xx xx) and are you using the stock clutch fan or e-fans? A lot of things you are doing are not so good.And when you post like that on a forum it is considered shouting.

It's challenging to figure out a good tune for a modified engine. If at all possible, I start with a flash that needs the fewest modifications possible

One method to build a tune for a modified engine is to copy / paste parameters from a factory flash into the custom flash.

The attached .bin file has 2002 L59 injector parameters. There are several tables for injector parameters.

Possibly copy / paste all the L59 injector parameters from the attached .bin file into the starter flash.

I'm curious about the Alcohol % table if the custom flash is for flex fuel.

L59.jpg

Alcohol Percent.JPG
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    It's challenging to figure out a good tune for a modified engine. If at all possible, I start with a flash that needs the fewest modifications possible

One method to build a tune for a modified engine is to copy / paste parameters from a factory flash into the custom flash.

The attached .bin file has 2002 L59 injector parameters. There are several tables for injector parameters.

Possibly copy / paste all the L59 injector parameters from the attached .bin file into the starter flash.

I'm curious about the Alcohol % table if the custom flash is for flex fuel.

L59.jpg

Alcohol Percent.JPG
    The problem with doing that on this build is the FF vehicles with a vacuum referenced regulator used a lower fuel pressure than non FF. That is why the IFR has them at 33 lb/hr/ Those same injectors when used in a non return FF fuel system (05-07 classic L59) used the higher 58 psi pressure like the earlier LM7 vacuum referenced regulator. That is why in this case he needed to use the 35.4 lb/hr setting in his calibration. If he would reply and answer the questions I could give him a good file to start much better than what he is currently using. The file he is using is not a FF calibration.

The problem with doing that on this build is the FF vehicles with a vacuum referenced regulator used a lower fuel pressure than non FF. That is why the IFR has them at 33 lb/hr/ Those same injectors when used in a non return FF fuel system (05-07 classic L59) used the higher 58 psi pressure like the earlier LM7 vacuum referenced regulator. That is why in this case he needed to use the 35.4 lb/hr setting in his calibration. If he would reply and answer the questions I could give him a good file to start much better than what he is currently using. The file he is using is not a FF calibration.
    I have TunerCats OBD2, so I'm not limited on the OS I can work with.

Often engine swap "plans" will have a complete package, engine / computer / harness / OS from the donor vehicle. Often the L59 is retro fitted into a vehicle where the Flex Fuel option is not going to be a requirement. Eliminating Flex Fuel from the original L59 Flash is easily done. Programming for an aftermarket camshaft profile into the original L59 Fash is easily done too.

When the "plan" includes a using mix and match of engine / computer / harness / OS not all from the donor vehicle, the challenges for a flash become complicated and for some overwhelming possibly impossible.
    The old saying "the devil is in the details" is echoed again when using a mix and match of engine / computer / harness / OS not all from the donor vehicle.

Carb and Points!
    Guessing this is a swap vehicle? That is a pretty large cam for a 5.3L. 228/230 112 LSA. Guessing a stock torque converter too? What is the gear ratio and tire size (xxx xx xx) and are you using the stock clutch fan or e-fans? A lot of things you are doing are not so good.And when you post like that on a forum it is considered shouting.
    Sorry about that when i made those post's i was on a phone so the font sizes were showing weird for some reason, but anyhow the truck has a 2800 stall in a 4l60e i built a few thousand miles ago with a bunch of upgrades from sonnax and switched to ZPak from 9 clutch alto's. i have since gotten hp tuners and no longer using tuner pro and seemed to have made some good progress overall its running well dont have a wideband yet but for everyday street driving its good other than after being in traffic for a long time it likes too stall when idling for long periods. doesn't happen very much so haven't changed too much since getting it running good.