Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apu1 vs dynamic efi?

Fuel Injected!

apu1 vs dynamic efi?

which would you do?

when you can find them, the apu1 is about the same cost, if not more expensive than sending a computer to dynamic efi.

I'm attacted to the usb and live flashing that you can apparently do with the dynamic efi as well.

I have a socketed ecu already and just been slowly lurking on fb market and ebay for either an apu1 setup or burn2 and extreme aldl combo. then came across the dynamic efi option with live data logging and and flashing.

I would end up using the EBL flash 2 setup.

I do see the vendor subforum for them on here and have looked through it but was wondering if there's more real world info/reviews on them?

My choice is Dynamic EFI, because it’s has excellent documentation, uses freeware TunerPro to edit the binary or .bin file, can do VE Learns, and provides auxiliary data logging channels for instruments like an AFR meter. I prefer tuning with an AFR meter.

Fuel Injected!
    about what I was beginning to think, thanks for confirming it for me. going to stop looking for the older moates stuff and just go with a dynamic efi ecu when I'm ready. One thing that was interesting I found during my research was people saying its hard to get an ecu from them?

that doesnt make sense. from what I read on the website, you just send them your ecu, they plop their board on it, and send it back with the documentation and the disc for the WUD? or am I missing something?

I love how the wiring diagrams are laid out on the site as well. VERY convienant and very very clear! its kind of amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by stackz View Post
    about what I was beginning to think, thanks for confirming it for me. going to stop looking for the older moates stuff and just go with a dynamic efi ecu when I'm ready. One thing that was interesting I found during my research was people saying its hard to get an ecu from them?

that doesnt make sense. from what I read on the website, you just send them your ecu, they plop their board on it, and send it back with the documentation and the disc for the WUD? or am I missing something?

I love how the wiring diagrams are laid out on the site as well. VERY convienant and very very clear! its kind of amazing.
    In the recent past, Dynamic EFI offered modified ECU's without having to ship them an ECU. Likely the cost / availably / reliability of ECU's suggests it's not a good business model to offer modified ECU's?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    In the recent past, Dynamic EFI offered modified ECU's without having to ship them an ECU. Likely the cost / availably / reliability of ECU's suggests it's not a good business model to offer modified ECU's?
    Gotcha. Yeah if the upull didn't want $65/each for the 7477 I would have more than I have now in my garage. I'm good with 3 plus my chipped one though. It's a shame though as so many get squashed. I passed by at least 10 or so last week.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    My choice is Dynamic EFI, because it’s has excellent documentation, uses freeware TunerPro to edit the binary or .bin file, can do VE Learns, and provides auxiliary data logging channels for instruments like an AFR meter. I prefer tuning with an AFR meter.
    I was looking at those after our WB02 conversation, but it looks like 7427 isn't on the list. What a bummer!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I was looking at those after our WB02 conversation, but it looks like 7427 isn't on the list. What a bummer!
    Not a total deal breaker, with the 7427 you can add the wbO2 into the datastream while logging.

I opted for the APU1 or burner/datalogging cable, only bc if I was gonna fuel infect 1 vehicle in the stable then I would in turn want to do it to all the vehicles I own including people that locally wanted help doing it.

If it was going to be a 1 and done deal, then I would definitely opt for Dynamic EFI.

If your reasoning to get the APU1 is for emulation and the ability to do on the fly changes well I think it's useless!!! Even sitting in the passenger seat I cannot do the calculations quick enough and navigate to the cell that needs to be tweaked. Maybe someday if we can get AI to make the changes on the fly...now that would be something!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah that's the route I'm going, WB02 fed in to the 7427 and an Autoprom. I'm fully expect mine to be a one and done though, that's why the ELB looked enticing. As it is I'm thinking about using my APU1 to get a baseline that will allow me to drive somewhere and have them do the full tune. I don't know if the dozens (realistically hundreds) of hours of learning will be worth one tune, unless I just get really into it for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    Not a total deal breaker, with the 7427 you can add the wbO2 into the datastream while logging.

I opted for the APU1 or burner/datalogging cable, only bc if I was gonna fuel infect 1 vehicle in the stable then I would in turn want to do it to all the vehicles I own including people that locally wanted help doing it.

If it was going to be a 1 and done deal, then I would definitely opt for Dynamic EFI.

If your reasoning to get the APU1 is for emulation and the ability to do on the fly changes well I think it's useless!!! Even sitting in the passenger seat I cannot do the calculations quick enough and navigate to the cell that needs to be tweaked. Maybe someday if we can get AI to make the changes on the fly...now that would be something!!!
    Emulation is great, because you can make changes without having to shut the engine off, and without needing to repeatedly program EEPROMs... It's not about being able to change the cells as they are beng used, it's about the convenience of being able to make changes with the engine running and see the updates in real time.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Yeah that's the route I'm going, WB02 fed in to the 7427 and an Autoprom. I'm fully expect mine to be a one and done though, that's why the ELB looked enticing. As it is I'm thinking about using my APU1 to get a baseline that will allow me to drive somewhere and have them do the full tune. I don't know if the dozens (realistically hundreds) of hours of learning will be worth one tune, unless I just get really into it for whatever reason.
    The AUTOPROM also has 3 analog inputs that can be used for injecting the WBO2 data (and other sensors) into the datastream. Eaglemark made a write up on hw to do this.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Many years ago, I started out thinking one and done with a ‘7427 and Ostrich 2.

Fast forward to now, I would only use the ‘7427 if I needed E-Trans control (4L60E / 4L80E), otherwise I would use Dynamic EFI.

Electronic Ignition!
    Boosted nw sells the burn 2 and will have the ostrich the cable is $60 from obd2allinone I dont know what the ALDL does different. You can live tune while the car is running with the ostrich from what i remember you cant with the ebl. Dynamic efi uses the 7730 ecu but with a its own xdx in my experience everything in there xdx had to be adjusted to get it close to what my stock ECU was doing even after spending weeks of time I still couldn't get the car to run/act how the stock ecu was and from my experience there wasn't much info on how to adjust there xdx compared to the over 30 yr of info on the GM stuff

Fuel Injected!
    EBL comes with stock calibrations. It also is a GM ECU so adjustments are the same as any other GM ECU of that era. If you couldn't figure EBL out I doubt Emulation and burning your own chips will go any better. Also the creator Bob is very good at replying to emails and is still active on many forums lile thirdgen.org

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    EBL comes with stock calibrations. It also is a GM ECU so adjustments are the same as any other GM ECU of that era. If you couldn't figure EBL out I doubt Emulation and burning your own chips will go any better. Also the creator Bob is very good at replying to emails and is still active on many forums lile thirdgen.org
    EBL only comes with the GM spark and VE tables from the included 4-5 "stock" calibrations it comes with, it uses a GM ecu but your tuning with its own mask. Its labeled 350 tpi auto will not drive like the original GM tune, there is a ton more of tuning info on the net for the old GM masks spanning the last 20 yrs from multiple posters there is only Bob for the EBL

Fuel Injected!
    lol ok