Thread: 24x crank and 1x cam on E67

Fuel Injected!

24x crank and 1x cam on E67

I know that it can be done. Anybody have any information at all on doing it?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I know that it can be done. Anybody have any information at all on doing it?
    There is a setting that specifies the crank resolution. The problem is there could alot more to be set along with it.
    There is also 3 different 24x option, and I am not sure if they are 24x or 4x. Time based, angled based A, angle based B.
    A vin that use e67 with some 24x v8 will be really beneficial to rip off some settings. Not sure if 6.0l vans or mexican trucks [oldstyle ls1 engine] use it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    There is a setting that specifies the crank resolution. The problem is there could alot more to be set along with it.
    There is also 3 different 24x option, and I am not sure if they are 24x or 4x. Time based, angled based A, angle based B.
    A vin that use e67 with some 24x v8 will be really beneficial to rip off some settings. Not sure if 6.0l vans or mexican trucks [oldstyle ls1 engine] use it.
    I have done a lot of digging on that and came up empty handed. I would be up to setup a 24x 5.3L and try the various options if I had the ability to alter them.

Fuel Injected!
    Maybe we can use e38 car,can as template. They share same code[e67and e38]. I think there was some vans that use 6.0l + 4l60e. We did some research on that already to make ls3+ 4l60e using e38+t42. Not sure how it ended at the end.

Fuel Injected!
    Maybe we can use e38 car,can as template. They share same code[e67and e38]. I think there was some vans that use 6.0l + 4l60e. We did some research on that already to make ls3+ 4l60e using e38+t42. Not sure how it ended at the end.
    The Vans came with the 5.3L with a 4L60E and 4.8/6.0 with a 4L80E. Then IIRC they switched to the 6L80E across the board around 2011 or so.

I had actually thought about an E38 or perhaps an E40. Not sure how different the code is in an E40 compared to an E38.

Ultimately I am trying to do an E67/T43 6L90E but for the moment when I get it setup with the E67 it will be with a T42 and 4L80E to start. I want to get the engine back up, running and dialed in with the E67 before I further complicate things with a transmission swap.

Fuel Injected!
    e40 will work with t42 and 24x but it will need x4 cam signal. I think the best bet will be e38 or e67 +t43. Found some info that marine applications x24 can work with e67 but there is nowhere a bin to be found.
    There is also e78 that is way similar to e67 but faster, it works with 6.0 trucks not sure what crank signal they have.

Testing will be easy, once we feed some x24 signal[ls1 style] to pcm, if there is spark output it is good. We need to found some crank generator.

Other issue to consider will be knock sensor types. bolt-on or screw-in type, top or side to engine.

Fuel Injected!
    e40 will work with t42 and 24x but it will need x4 cam signal. I think the best bet will be e38 or e67 +t43. Found some info that marine applications x24 can work with e67 but there is nowhere a bin to be found.
    There is also e78 that is way similar to e67 but faster, it works with 6.0 trucks not sure what crank signal they have.

Testing will be easy, once we feed some x24 signal[ls1 style] to pcm, if there is spark output it is good. We need to found some crank generator.

Other issue to consider will be knock sensor types. bolt-on or screw-in type, top or side to engine.
    The E40 used a 1X cam sensor atleast in the GTO I had my hands on. Knock sensors will be the flat response units. I have the Marine mounts that thread into the block drains and mount the later style flat response knock sensors to a SBC. Same thing was used on the Marine E67s and thus a very inexpensive off the shelf marine part (IIRC they were under $10 each). The Marine E67s actually used a 4x crank signal, 1x cam and the L31 distributor, HVS module and coil. I believe the code on that was completely different, basically MEFI code in an E67 controller.

I have reasons for sticking with the E67 using a TBSS operating system. That application used the old style cruise inputs compatible with GM switches that date back to the early 80s, as well as the 128K VSS output for the ABS. The TBSS also runs the EV Fan clutch that I run. Push comes to shove, I will buy a 58x SBC reluctor and build a 4x cam reluctor to mount in a L31 distributor.

I mostly just do not want to spend another penny with EFIConnection. I have bought $100s of dollars worth of their stuff for 2 different 24x conversions in the past without issue, but Chris was extremely rude when I contacted them about the inexpensive L31 distributor based 4x cam sync they (unkowingly to me) had quit producing. Of course I find this out after acquiring most everything to make the 58x swap, that it will cost nearly 1K to get a 4x cam signal from them. They want to sell you a custom timing cover and a garbage double roller chain with a custom machined cam sprocket now.

I think the easiest way to test would be load up a tune, hook up the converted harness to a 24x test 5.3L and try it.
    Last edited by Fast355; 10-06-2023 at 09:50 PM.