Thread: Old Timer with some new projects

Old Timer with some new projects

Old time racer, autocrosser, and all around car/truck guy here. Been working on my own cars, both street cars and trailer queen race and/or autocross cars, since the early 1980s.

Looking at catching up on a few projects that have piled up around here. Mostly GM stuff. I've always sent PCMs out for tuning, or taken the finished car to a dyno tuner. But most of that has been OBD-II stuff, primarily 0411 PCMs which everyone can deal with.

One of my "project vehicles" is a 1994 S10. It's missing the engine, and I have two transmissions for it, one older T5 and one T5-WC that I believe was original to the truck. The truck had the 2.2L 4 cylinder originally. When it came to me, it had an older Iron Duke 2.5 with a carburetor on it, and a hole in the side of the block. The kid was "drifting" with it. I'm trying to stay with the same transmission and bell housing, but I'm not sure if I'm going to put a 2.2L in, or possibly a 3.4L V6 from a Camaro of that era (which should bolt up to my transmission[s]), with the appropriate accessories from an S10 2.8L V6. Not sure if I'll go TBI on that, or use the port fuel injection from the Camaro.

It's tempting to do a 5.3L LS V8 swap on it, or some aluminum LS Gen IV engine (maybe even a 6.0L). That could eventually happen, but first I need to get it on the road with something, and I'd like to keep the budget kind of low. If I do another swap later, I have another vehicle that might need the first Engine/Transmission combo that I build and get running.

I'm also curious about open source tuning solutions currently available for the 0411 PCMs, as well as some of the earlier "black box" PCMs for the Chevy Trucks, especially the S series 4.3L Vortec V6 engines.

I'm new to this, but I'm a voracious reader, and I pick things up quickly.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum. I'll be back with more details about what I'm specifically working with, and what I'm considering, or what I've decided to use.
    Last edited by Racer-X; 09-28-2023 at 04:32 AM.
    Sorry, your password must be at least 8 characters and must contain: • an upper case letter, • a lower case letter, • A numeric digit, • a symbol character, • a musical note, • a hieroglyph, • a haiku, • a feather from an eagle, • a drop of unicorn blood, and • a partridge in a pear tree.