Thread: Hello

Carb and Points!

Hello

Thanks for the ad! I have been trying to put the gm TBI setup from an 89 camaro into my 78 k10 truck and have been fighting an issue I overlooked before attempting the swap. I completely forgot about the VATS system the car has and was able to read through a ton of forums on here as well as other sites to come up with a plan to get around it. Also never attempted anything electronic or Fuel injected so it was a huge learning curve. I had purchased some tuning equipment for my s10 blazer I put a v8 in but never got to use it because everything worked on with it being factory TBI anyway. I was finally able to do enough research and figure out how to tune so I ended up burning a chip with the ANLU bin and got it running like a song! I am 27 years old but I much prefer older vehicles and like to avoid fuel injection just because I've never dealt with it much. But if I can learn how to read and burn chips in a weekend I believe anyone could do it. Just have to do a ton of research. Thanks again!

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum! One old way to bypass VATS is to determine which resistor was in the original key. There are kits available thatsupply every possible resistor:

Another way is to locate a VATS bypass box. This simple piece of electronics will supply a signal to the ECM similar to what the VATS sends when the correct key is detected:
    https://timers.shop/GM-VATS-Bypass-M...-LT1_p_33.html

Finally, if you have the correct hardware you can modify your existing calibration to disable VATS then burn it to the chip.

Good luck!